GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 SE with 6500 miles throwing codes for the turbo.. help (attached log from obd11)

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I haven't bothered to see what the new codes are but along with the EPC light I now have the check engine light and have boost but the car feels really sluggish. I feel like it's not good on the car to be driving it but I have no other choice since all the dealerships are booked solid.

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
I have seen the clock spring used for the waste gate return. It is very flimsy and a broken return spring may be your problem. I would try the external spring fix, unless it is warrantied still of course.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I have seen the clock spring used for the waste gate return. It is very flimsy and a broken return spring may be your problem. I would try the external spring fix, unless it is warrantied still of course.
Yeah I'm not touching it with 6500 miles on it. It just sucks because I want to enjoy the car.

I guess if it was out of warranty it would be an easy fix?

I really should have known better.. I have horrible luck with cars to the point where my friends all make fun of how unlucky I am. I can't imagine driving the car like this for another month and a half waiting on parts. I read someone else was waiting on a turbo for 4 to 6 weeks.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah I'm not touching it with 6500 miles on it. It just sucks because I want to enjoy the car.

I guess if it was out of warranty it would be an easy fix?

I really should have known better.. I have horrible luck with cars to the point where my friends all make fun of how unlucky I am. I can't imagine driving the car like this for another month and a half waiting on parts. I read someone else was waiting on a turbo for 4 to 6 weeks.

At this point you don't know if the turbo needs to be replaced. The dealer can't fit you in to at least diagnose the problem? Does your dealer provide loaners? You can drive the car as long as you don't try to go into boost but that's not safe because sometimes acceleration is needed to prevent an accident.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
At this point you don't know if the turbo needs to be replaced. The dealer can't fit you in to at least diagnose the problem? Does your dealer provide loaners? You can drive the car as long as you don't try to go into boost but that's not safe because sometimes acceleration is needed to prevent an accident.
Nope, I looked at all the dealers in the area. I'm not sure why they are all heavily booked.

I think they might have loaners. If not I'm forced to drive my car everyday.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nope, I looked at all the dealers in the area. I'm not sure why they are all heavily booked.

I think they might have loaners. If not I'm forced to drive my car everyday.

I would contact VWOA then because it's not reasonable that your car could be useless for who knows how long.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I would contact VWOA then because it's not reasonable that your car could be useless for who knows how long.

I should have time Monday to ask the dealer about a loaner and then to call VWOA regarding if they don't have a loaner. I agree.. Having to deal with this for such a long time would be incredibly difficult.

I am happy the check engine light decided to show its face. I've had so many bad dealer visits that resulted in "no trouble found". Like I said. I have very bad luck with cars.

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
I replaced my wastegate control actuator when I went to an IS20 on my TSI. It puked very early inits life. New one is fine, but yes warranty is your route of course. The spring is very iffy IMO, but you can add an external spring if it is a matter of 6our wallet. VW doesn't sell the wastegate controllers, but there is a factory part. I think mine was from ECS.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Sure seems like a problem with cars.
The 18’ models and onward haven’t had the issues you are describing.
When and if you can get the remedy covered by VW - you will have a hard time selling due to the report on the Carfax service history, or be worth less.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Sure seems like a problem with cars.
The 18’ models and onward haven’t had the issues you are describing.
When and if you can get the remedy covered by VW - you will have a hard time selling due to the report on the Carfax service history, or be worth less.

I dont think a dealer visit to correct a faulty part under warranty will be an issue when it comes to resale. A collision? Thats different. I have sold vehicles that had been into the shop before and it was never an issue (mazdaspeed 3 with replacement turbo and my mk6 gti with 4 water pump replacements).

Also I have no doubts that VW will fix the issue, its just a matter of how long will I be waiting for the repair.

My car is a 2019.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
VWoA told me that its up to the dealer to get me a loaner.

If they dont have one then I should rent a car and not drive when the car has a check engine light.

I need to go find this hidden bank account they think I have where I can afford a rental car for an unknown amount of time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
VWoA told me that its up to the dealer to get me a loaner.

If they dont have one then I should rent a car and not drive when the car has a check engine light.

I need to go find this hidden bank account they think I have where I can afford a rental car for an unknown amount of time.

Start pushing them for a buyback.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
your insurance might cover rental car or AAA.

What would you do if you just owned a car out of warranty and had it break down and had to get it fixed? nobody would help you then either...

Not trying to be a dick but you need to plan for things like this and either have money saved or coverage to pay for it.

(EDIT: just to clarify, I would expect the dealership to help, but it is up to that specific dealership and should be something considered before a breakdown)

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie

What would you do if you just owned a car out of warranty and had it break down and had to get it fixed? nobody would help you then either...

Not trying to be a dick but you need to plan for things like this and either have money saved or coverage to pay for it.
I wouldn't own an out of warranty car because I can't afford the repairs. I pay for rental coverage but it only covers if the car is in a wreck.. Not due to warranty issues.

"not to be a dick BUT.." I can't really be spending cash at the moment due to my ongoing divorce. Thanks for knowing my finances. How dare I think VW would provide a vehicle when it's unsafe to drive while it's covered under warranty. Ford took better care of me when I had my Focus ST.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

(EDIT: just to clarify, I would expect the dealership to help, but it is up to that specific dealership and should be something considered before a breakdown)

But he isn't out of warranty and it's not reasonable for a dealer to expect him to not have use of his car for so long.