GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I had 1/16th toe out up front a couple years ago. Turn in was good, but hard trail braking got a touch iffy slowing down from the main straight. On the slower corners I've found that trail braking harder and getting on the throttle sooner with a slightly earlier apex was what the car needed for rotation with the rear toe I run. I went back to zero toe front because the end of the main straight at hmp loads up the left front most, and I kept getting some pull towards the grass/wall.

There's no perfect setup and driver preference has a lot to do with alignment, But these cars really like to respond to toe changes. How much trail braking are you doing into those slower corners and how stiff is your front bar?

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
TPMS Issues

My warning light came on again this morning. Checked pressures and all were good. System would not reset. This evening before I left work, I was able to reset the system.

Our system works off a % difference in wheel speed as calculated by the ABS sensor in each wheel. My recent battery replacement appears to have triggered the latest issues. I expect a week or two of intermittent codes before it finally clears. This is the same pattern of events when I track my car. It happens at most events. Hangs around a week or two before finally clearing up. I have two new sensors which I will install when I fit new front bearings.

I was curious whether other folks had similar experiences during DE’s and what the consequences are for defeating ESC while having an active code. Heck if it comes back, I will stomp on the brakes and see if I can activate ABS.

The TPMS light comes on at every track event I do. I just ignore it for the entire weekend, but I’ve never had an issue getting it to reset as soon as I was done. Occasionally it would come back a second time, but just resetting it is enough. Turning the ESC off doesn’t seem to matter.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I had 1/16th toe out up front a couple years ago. Turn in was good, but hard trail braking got a touch iffy slowing down from the main straight. On the slower corners I've found that trail braking harder and getting on the throttle sooner with a slightly earlier apex was what the car needed for rotation with the rear toe I run. I went back to zero toe front because the end of the main straight at hmp loads up the left front most, and I kept getting some pull towards the grass/wall.

There's no perfect setup and driver preference has a lot to do with alignment, But these cars really like to respond to toe changes. How much trail braking are you doing into those slower corners and how stiff is your front bar?

Setup is very Driver dependent.

Im going start with a 1/16th toe out. Just want to know whether it’s half a turn on each side etc. So I can undo it for the street and go back to zero toe.

I’m trail braking all slow corners down to the apex. Going to gas early on tight corners can be tricky as you transfer weight away from the steering tire causing further understeer. I’ve always tried to go to gas early, but sometimes it hurts your corner exit speed.
One of the reasons why I’m going to a stiffer rear spring. Keep weight over the front wheels under acceleration. More power means more rearward weight transfer.
Loose in a FWD generally = fast if you are comfortable with a loose car.

You on stock front bushings? Getting some deflection possibly? In a straight line the toe forces should cancel one another out. It’s only when you turn that they will aid turn in.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Setup is very Driver dependent.

Im going start with a 1/16th toe out. Just want to know whether it’s half a turn on each side etc. So I can undo it for the street and go back to zero toe.

I’m trail braking all slow corners down to the apex. Going to gas early on tight corners can be tricky as you transfer weight away from the steering tire causing further understeer. I’ve always tried to go to gas early, but sometimes it hurts your corner exit speed.
One of the reasons why I’m going to a stiffer rear spring. Keep weight over the front wheels under acceleration. More power means more rearward weight transfer.
Loose in a FWD generally = fast if you are comfortable with a loose car.

You on stock front bushings? Getting some deflection possibly? In a straight line the toe forces should cancel one another out. It’s only when you turn that they will aid turn in.
Yep stock bushings, and I know they're causing some deflection issues. Bushings and bracing is next on my tackle list, but if I go that route I might just go with the full verkline subframe, lca, etc.

Getting on gas earlier I meant for building boost. You should still be on the brake when getting on gas early, and then there's a transition point right before the apex where depending on rotation and track out you can either add a little brake or start pulling up brake. Add a touch and you're rotating quite a bit at that point. Like you're saying, these cars do very well with a loose rear. Adding rear spring helps for sure, but it doesn't eliminate the weight transfer. If you're getting understeer on power on input you could also go to a much beefier front bar. That will keep from lifting the inside wheel as much and reduce your weight transfer by the cosin of the positional vector in relation to corner midpoint (if I recall all of my dynamics correctly, lol!) . Front and mid chassis bracing would have a similar effect. I can toss my rear end at will, and I'm not running 450# rears like you. The pss10 are 348# rear and 300-400# front. Running 7 stiff front and 9 stiff rear on dampening is pretty good, but I need MORE FRONT Bar like no other. I also need a significant amount of mid chassis bracing. There are videos of my car with enough torsional force to make you think the body is made of rubber :(.

At the end of the day there are a million ways to make changes you want and the only real limit is money. If you're going to much stiffer springs and sending in your ohlins to get revalved for the spring, my assumption is you've given up on the smaller/cheaper changes. I'm getting close to the giving up point with my brakes. I'm not done adding ducting and I'm already shopping the apr deals for the powerbrake kit! Lol

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Going with GOT. Winter is coming along with the associated Black Friday deals.

WTF- can’t believe I’ve just said that. Lol

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
12k Swift Springs have been ordered for the rear. So the prep for the Fall track season begins.

Really curious how this is going to affect the balance at VIR.
If it helps me go to gas early at Oak tree getting onto the back straight. Winner winner chicken dinner.
And
If the the front toe out gives me the front end bite I’m looking for, then I will be accelerating hard onto the front straight coming out of hogpen.
These are the two most important corners to get right at VIR.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Headrest Go-Pro Mount

Something I have been wanting to do is capture video of my hands on the wheel while driving. I generally mount the GoPro on the windshield to capture my track footage, but I want to see see what corrections I am making at the wheel and how that relates back to the car’s handling.

Im expecting the car to have more yaw/slip with the stiffer rear spring. Not to concerned about that, in fact this is what I am looking for. I’m more curious as to whether I will need to counter-steer and if so, where is it happening? Slow/medium no problem. Medium /fast corners will get my attention.

Looking for a sturdy mount which will have minimal vibration/shake to provide decent quality video.

Show us your in-car camera setups.......

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I use that mount too. But use it with my iPhone and the video came out pretty shaky. Two reasons I think, the image stabilization isn't as good on an iPhone as GoPro and we had to run with front windows down. This car has wicked buffeting with just two windows down. I'm going to test it with all four down at some point. But the mount is nice . I set mine up so I can see my hands and the info screen so I can check g-force and engine temps in the video.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
12k Swift Springs have been ordered for the rear. So the prep for the Fall track season begins.

Really curious how this is going to affect the balance at VIR.
If it helps me go to gas early at Oak tree getting onto the back straight. Winner winner chicken dinner.
And
If the the front toe out gives me the front end bite I’m looking for, then I will be accelerating hard onto the front straight coming out of hogpen.
These are the two most important corners to get right at VIR.
12k is a good start, what is your front rate?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP