GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
greatly appreciate it, I got bored and pulled out my multimeter and I was thinking the alternator was bad

Took a screenshot from my OBD11

5854A9C0-AE86-4CF1-9958-43E06B757D53.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
TPMS Issues

My warning light came on again this morning. Checked pressures and all were good. System would not reset. This evening before I left work, I was able to reset the system.

Our system works off a % difference in wheel speed as calculated by the ABS sensor in each wheel. My recent battery replacement appears to have triggered the latest issues. I expect a week or two of intermittent codes before it finally clears. This is the same pattern of events when I track my car. It happens at most events. Hangs around a week or two before finally clearing up. I have two new sensors which I will install when I fit new front bearings.

I was curious whether other folks had similar experiences during DE’s and what the consequences are for defeating ESC while having an active code. Heck if it comes back, I will stomp on the brakes and see if I can activate ABS.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
thanks I have an obd11 I'll have to find that

It’s under gauges when you first open the app. Scroll down until you find the Battery. I monitored the voltage live while driving to Asheville until I was comfortable with the charge rate. Plus OBD11 had that handy dandy legend.

After that I kept my eye on live coolant temps. And then IATs to see how effective my new AMS IC was working.
That was an interesting exercise. Steady state cruise 20-25 degrees over ambient. Coasting off throttle would see this jump to 30+ degrees over ambient. Throttle application drops temps WTF??? Decent partial throttle application would see temps drop to 15-over. Get on the throttle hard And it drops to within 10-degrees of ambient. Counter intuitive to what I was expecting.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
TPMS error on track is normal IME, since the system is indirect - not measuring pressure but rather differences in rotational rate. If one or more tires is heating up more quickly than the other(s), it can throw the error. Yes it's annoying.

At VIR I target a square hot tire pressure setup. Right side tires get an extra .5psi for the predominant right turns and the rears get 1 to 2psi extra depending on the length of the sessions. If I’m tidy, I get close to square hot tire pressure.

This morning the TPMS light came on shortly after firing the car up. I hadn’t even turned a wheel. Plan on pulling them out and giving them a clean to see if that helps. Most probably caked up with brake dust and road grime. Hopefully it’s as simple as that.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
My tpms is finicky. Some days it goes off, others it doesn't. I'm more concerned how frequently it doesn't kick on when I think it should. When I switch wheels it barely knows the difference (and often doesn't). However, if I ever forget to turn off traction control or I'm spinning one wheel/tire enough to cause it to go really far off balance (usually about 2" of slip), it will be guaranteed to go off.

I run different tire pressures front to rear on track and that doesn’t seem to trigger it. I’m assuming that the system is comparing the difference in speed on the same axle to determine whether a wheel is going down. I add and extra .5psi to the RHS wheels so that must be within the tolerance.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Agreed, I would never run my front toe-out and my rear at 0 toe if I was doing high speed track driving, my car is already a little twitchy at highway speeds. I'm also curious about tire wear at high levels of camber, I was hesitant to go toe-out in the front due to wear so I'll be keeping an eye on it and I'll try and keep folks updated

Ive been noodling on setup and suspension tweaks during the Rona “off season”. Definitely going to up my rear spring rate.

Im going give the front toe out a try. I’ve blamed the lazy turn-in response on the soft MPS4S side walls, but my NT01’s are no better. My Cooper S was so much more responsive on steering compared to the GTi. Toe out will definitely help with the initial turn-in response. Just got to figure out home much toe out......?
Going to shoot for 36psi hot on the NT01’s instead of 38psi and see how that feels and the impact on laptimes.

Do you adjust toe at home or the track? I have toe plates and now that I have rhino ramps it’s relatively easy to change.

Does anyone know what a full turn on the tie rod = to in toe change? It would be nice to know up front before making adjustments.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
It’s under gauges when you first open the app. Scroll down until you find the Battery. I monitored the voltage live while driving to Asheville until I was comfortable with the charge rate. Plus OBD11 had that handy dandy legend.

After that I kept my eye on live coolant temps. And then IATs to see how effective my new AMS IC was working.
That was an interesting exercise. Steady state cruise 20-25 degrees over ambient. Coasting off throttle would see this jump to 30+ degrees over ambient. Throttle application drops temps WTF??? Decent partial throttle application would see temps drop to 15-over. Get on the throttle hard And it drops to within 10-degrees of ambient. Counter intuitive to what I was expecting.
lol dammit wtf am i doin with a multimeter when i have obd elven

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
lol dammit wtf am i doin with a multimeter when i have obd elven

LMAO. I need to dig around more. Mostly curiosity. I’m sure the VW Engineers are smart folks. So don’t want to change settings without understanding the downstream effects.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
TPMS Issues

My warning light came on again this morning. Checked pressures and all were good. System would not reset. This evening before I left work, I was able to reset the system.

Our system works off a % difference in wheel speed as calculated by the ABS sensor in each wheel. My recent battery replacement appears to have triggered the latest issues. I expect a week or two of intermittent codes before it finally clears. This is the same pattern of events when I track my car. It happens at most events. Hangs around a week or two before finally clearing up. I have two new sensors which I will install when I fit new front bearings.

I was curious whether other folks had similar experiences during DE’s and what the consequences are for defeating ESC while having an active code. Heck if it comes back, I will stomp on the brakes and see if I can activate ABS.

If it helps, my 2019 does the same. If your ABS sensors were bad, you'd have a light show on you dash, no just a tire pressure warning. I think it's just a limitation of the system.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Its an indirect system so it uses wheel speed to detect the difference. No sensor

Got it, I didn't know if mk7 and mk7.5 were different.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Ive been noodling on setup and suspension tweaks during the Rona “off season”. Definitely going to up my rear spring rate.

Im going give the front toe out a try. I’ve blamed the lazy turn-in response on the soft MPS4S side walls, but my NT01’s are no better. My Cooper S was so much more responsive on steering compared to the GTi. Toe out will definitely help with the initial turn-in response. Just got to figure out home much toe out......?
Going to shoot for 36psi hot on the NT01’s instead of 38psi and see how that feels and the impact on laptimes.

Do you adjust toe at home or the track? I have toe plates and now that I have rhino ramps it’s relatively easy to change.

Does anyone know what a full turn on the tie rod = to in toe change? It would be nice to know up front before making adjustments.
Hey man I'm gonna be at vir Oct 16 and 17 for an hpde event and I'm probably gonna adjust the alignment at my buddys shop located on the track. Im gonna try an 1/8th out up front and an 1/8th in on the rear so it doesn't get to squirrely on hard braking. I can certainly let you know how that is

bfury5

Autocross Champion

You can start pretty small with the toe and it will make a big impact. Even at 1/16" total toe out my turn in is drastically better, and this is at low autox speeds. Seeing as you do mostly high speed tracking, I'd start as small as possible. Are you 0 toe in the front right now?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m at zero front toe now.

Its the slow to medium corners where I’m looking for that positive bite. Through the fast uphill esses and T10 at VIR im working on keeping the momentum up. It will help there as well.

Not concerned with toe out up front. Just with the potential tire wear on the street. Reducing rear toe will be done in increments.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Hey man I'm gonna be at vir Oct 16 and 17 for an hpde event and I'm probably gonna adjust the alignment at my buddys shop located on the track. Im gonna try an 1/8th out up front and an 1/8th in on the rear so it doesn't get to squirrely on hard braking. I can certainly let you know how that is

Cool. You running with Chin? Keep us posted.