GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
What width rim are you on? The 255 Nexen has a tread width of 9.6", which could explain the jello load-up feeling
9”. I think tread width is actually 10.2” per tire rack.

I agree a 245 or even 235 would probably be better for a 9” rim though, in terms of equalizing rim/tread width.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What about a little more pressure?

bfury5

Autocross Champion
9”. I think tread width is actually 10.2” per tire rack.

I agree a 245 or even 235 would probably be better for a 9” rim though, in terms of equalizing rim/tread width.
Section width is actually 10.2", tread is 9.6". I would be curious to do a back-to-back test of the 255 on a 9" vs the 235. Someone with deeper pockets than I should volunteer

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
What about a little more pressure?
Tried 34.5 psi cold in my first session, felt similar.

I did notice when ordering that their load range is “SL”, whereas it seems most 200TW are “XL”. TireRack even called me when I placed the order to tell me that the tire had a lower load range than what was specified for my car but that it would be fine. I think the softer sidewall is part of the design.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Some other notes I forgot to add. In terms of wear, I had noticeably more wear on the inside of the tire than outside for both front and rear. Camber is 2.5F and 2.0R. Street driving beforehand was pretty minimal so don’t think it was a contributor. After the day I measured the inner groove at 6.7” and outer groove at 7.2” for front, and 6.7”/7.4” for rear. I don’t think I’m running too much camber, but might need to adjust pressures? Maybe Sonoma being a fairly low grip track+it being cold contributed? Interested to hear your thoughts.
B853AE4F-3339-4656-8DC6-31075DE7EE35.jpeg
31C329F9-B463-4432-972C-A0C7DA246526.jpeg

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Some other notes I forgot to add. In terms of wear, I had noticeably more wear on the inside of the tire than outside for both front and rear. Camber is 2.5F and 2.0R. Street driving beforehand was pretty minimal so don’t think it was a contributor. After the day I measured the inner groove at 6.7” and outer groove at 7.2” for front, and 6.7”/7.4” for rear. I don’t think I’m running too much camber, but might need to adjust pressures? Maybe Sonoma being a fairly low grip track+it being cold contributed? Interested to hear your thoughts.
View attachment 206414View attachment 206415
I had similar tread wear my last outing a few months ago (RT615K). Camber was at -2.1F -2R Zero toe running at 35psi. I think my issue was tire pressure related as well. Gotta monitor those inner, middle and outer temps to dial it in properly- problem is that I’m usually too busy relaxing between runs and I don’t make the effort to make the proper adjustments.

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
My guess is that on a cold day, the body roll is reduce due to reduce grip and you are not using much of the outer tire, as evidenced by OPR only on the inside 2/3rds.

Oh, and toe settings?
That was my general thinking. Here is my alignment:

45D7254C-72A8-4677-947E-A0BDD7E426AA.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Why you get track insurance. This is my buddy Tony wrecking his second Corvette, in the same corner. Ouch.