GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've run the old 615 and the SUR4G. If I would buy the SUR4G just for the superior rain performance.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
How do we feel about Federal 595 R-SR's?

I bought a wheel/tire set today (used) and these are the tires they came with. Ceramic coated and only two track days on them so I'm assuming they have decent life left and the wheels look near perfect. I would not be using them for track purposes however, just warm weather daily driving (what little bit I do nowadays).

I know they are pretty inexpensive 235/40/18's and I know they are 220tw. That's about it. I would need them to at least get me to where I need to go in the rain.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
My nephew runs Falken 615's on his BMW and really likes them. Decent wear, good grip, communicates well, and a very good price.
I had the opposite experience with the 615’s. One track day burned through half their tread on the inner half. Could be the camber and psi I was running. Nevertheless my set PZero have lasted much longer.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
How do we feel about Federal 595 R-SR's?

I bought a wheel/tire set today (used) and these are the tires they came with. Ceramic coated and only two track days on them so I'm assuming they have decent life left and the wheels look near perfect. I would not be using them for track purposes however, just warm weather daily driving (what little bit I do nowadays).

I know they are pretty inexpensive 235/40/18's and I know they are 220tw. That's about it. I would need them to at least get me to where I need to go in the rain.
They're going to be stupid loud on the street, but not a bad tire.

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
They'd going to be stupid loud on the street, but not a bad tire.
I watched two videos reviewing the new RSR-Pro (which replaced the RSR). The first one said “it no longer sounds like a monster truck is behind you” and the second review said “it doesn’t sound like your being chased by a helicopter anymore.” Guess they had quite the noise issues lol.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I watched two videos reviewing the new RSR-Pro (which replaced the RSR). The first one said “it no longer sounds like a monster truck is behind you” and the second review said “it doesn’t sound like your being chased by a helicopter anymore.” Guess they had quite the noise issues lol.
I've never driven on them. I've heard other people drive by on track with them. Monster truck or helicopter are apt descriptions.

grembal

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 Rabbit, '99 MX5
Ezekiel I dont think youll mind the RSR noise much for daily duties. Of the the three ~200tw Federal tires the RSR is the quietest, RSRR loudest (notoriously), and RSPRO right in between.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Ezekiel I dont think youll mind the RSR noise much for daily duties. Of the the three ~200tw Federal tires the RSR is the quietest, RSRR loudest (notoriously), and RSPRO right in between.

I want to like them, so that's good news. I'm going to run them until they need to be replaced regardless I just needed to know if I should warn the missus or not.

Hopefully they are decent in the rain so I can stick with them, the price point is nice for the dry performance you get, but if not I'll probably move to a slightly higher tw summer tire next given how much I usually drive

20210217_165123.jpg20210217_165219.jpg

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm not seeing the great deal on RE71R's. I've paid high 160's for 245/40 17 the last few years, I wouldn't call 180's a good deal.

V730's are 150's ea. Might take a shot for autocross use. Rt660 same range.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I'm not seeing the great deal on RE71R's. I've paid high 160's for 245/40 17 the last few years, I wouldn't call 180's a good deal.

V730's are 150's ea. Might take a shot for autocross use. Rt660 same range.
The 660s seem like a steal at $160 (for 245/40-17). Compared to $212 for the same size A052. I'll probably be getting another set of A052 for the season to start, but I'll be watching the 660

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The 660s seem like a steal at $160 (for 245/40-17). Compared to $212 for the same size A052. I'll probably be getting another set of A052 for the season to start, but I'll be watching the 660
Our site is WWII asphalt. It would be a compete waste of money for me to run A052's.

I'm partial to RE71R's, because they wear fairly well and are fast first to last run, but might give V730 or RT660 a try.

I've got at least 2 or events left on my tires, so should get some feedback on the V730 by then.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Some thoughts on the Nexens after first track day on them. I ran at 33.5 psi cold.

Good:
-Solid wear, lost 2/10ths of tread after 4 20min sessions.
-Got up to temp fairly quick but didn’t overheat (was a low grip track and cold day though)
-Great grip that stayed consistent through the session
-Grip brakes away in a fairly linear fashion - fairly easy to judge when you’re on limit

Could be improved:
-Fairly vague feel
-Sidewall seems a little soft (actually a plus for road use but a bit too soft for my liking on track
-At times felt like their was this rubber band effect between front and rear, wish the tire loaded up quicker (again, likely related to sidewall stiffness). Felt a bit jello-y at times.

Overall though for what I paid ($124/tire) I would definitely buy again. No second thoughts about my choice so far.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
-Sidewall seems a little soft (actually a plus for road use but a bit too soft for my liking on track
-At times felt like their was this rubber band effect between front and rear, wish the tire loaded up quicker (again, likely related to sidewall stiffness). Felt a bit jello-y at times.
What width rim are you on? The 255 Nexen has a tread width of 9.6", which could explain the jello load-up feeling