GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200tw tires for Track use

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Do you have additional front camber and what hot pressures were you running? I was struggling to not drive on the tire sidewalls when I've used them at autox and track.
I only used them on track, never autocross. I do have the 034 camber plates and get about -2.4 upfront and -2.0 in the back. I have toe zeroed out front and rear. I was typically shooting for about 38 or 39 psi hot. I was recommended to try up to 41-42 for them, but I was done with them before I tried it.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
255/40r17 RS4s ordered to wrap my Apex wheels... whenever they get here. Unfortunately the shop 2 blocks away wants to charge $70 freakin' dollars per tire for 40 section tire mounting. Not including valve stems even.... yeah, no.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
255/40r17 RS4s ordered to wrap my Apex wheels... whenever they get here. Unfortunately the shop 2 blocks away wants to charge $70 freakin' dollars per tire for 40 section tire mounting. Not including valve stems even.... yeah, no.
What in the hell. I pay $20-30 a tire for mounting/balancing in the Bay Area. $70 is nuts

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Crazy how much cheaper 17" tires are vs 18".
It's about $70/tire less.

Is there any perceptible performance difference?

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S

I bought 17’s for this reason and ran 17” wheels last time out. No difference that I could perceive compared to the 18”wheels. If anything, I was able to push the car harder because there was more feedback.

Grassroots Motorsports ran a great article featuring a timed comparison and driver’s perspective of OEM, +1 and -1 wheel/tire setups. The results were surprising!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

GRM recently did a back to back with a 17 and 18 inch setup and it's a few tenths, in favor of the 18.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
If you are comfortable with them, maybe check America Tire (aka Discount Tire). I believe they are like $70 for all 4 with Road Force balancing. My last set mounted was 235/40/18 and there were no additional costs.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Damn, have you tried calling local performance shops? My local shops in SoCal don't charge anywhere near that much and they have the newest touchless machines.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
One thing to note about this video. My v730s needed an aggressive amount of scrub and heat cycle to awaken. Maybe other tires do too. I did an autocross where I had only scrubbed and cycled the fronts on new v730s and my car felt broken. He tests sticker tires.

Additionally, also all his videos are sponsored content of some sort. Anyway, enjoyable nonetheless

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Figured I'll put it here as a data point: Just flipped my A052s 2 weeks ago to try and extend the life a bit. I had ~75 runs on them before I flipped them. So to confirm what we already know, they wear like crazy. I was running ~3.1deg camber with that set. After the flip, the first event out was a nightmare, car was skating all over. Ive heard that's pretty typical as the rubber needs to "reseat" to a different direction of travel / force. By the end of the event they were starting to settle down so I'm hopeful I can get another month out of them before I put on the new set. I'll also be adding camber which I'm hoping will help wear a bit.