GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'16 GTI DSG PP vs '16 STI stage 2

Jaysus

My buddy has been bugging me to run our cars for a while now and I finally gave in. I really wanted to try and see what my car would do with the recent modifications I did (CTS down pipe, turbo muffler delete and 3" straight pipe, which was a bad idea btw drone is horrible getting a resonator installed on Thursday. Keep in mind I'm not tuned nor I don't have an intake yet,on order tho).

We only did three pulls. From a dig, 15 mph,and 35 mph. Why this speed i don't know he chose them but as you can expect, he murdered me off the dig about 5 car gap instintly which I expected.

The other two runs were much better, from 15 mph off the third honk we hit it, were neck to neck till about 70 he gains half a car and about 100 he's only a car ahead of me until I hit the speed limiter which I believe was 122, and the same for the 35 mph run.

For me I am super impressed with what the outcome was, him being a '16 STI stage 2 and myself with just the few mods on my '16 DSG PP. Now I can't wait for the stage 2 tune I'll be doing on thursday as soon as my intake shows up and get the resonator installed.

From what everyone tells me going stage two is a huge difference in noticeable power I just hope I'm not disappointed when I get it tuned. There will be a rematch once the last few mods are done.

Jaysus

Get a tune. You should have one already lol

Yeah I know but I just installed the DP and the muffler delete yesterday. by the time that was done with that the shop I'm going to do the tune with was closed so now I have to wait for my next day off which is Thursday. These 4 days are going to take forever!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Should be fun to see the look on your friend's face. Does he know anything about what happens when you tune a mk7?

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
The other two runs were much better, from 15 mph off the third honk we hit it, were neck to neck till about 70 he gains half a car and about 100 he's only a car ahead of me until I hit the speed limiter which I believe was 122, and the same for the 35 mph run.
I am a bit surprised in your outcome as well.
A friend of mine has a 15 Stage 2 STI and claims he will walk my stock auto 15' GT stang with 3.55 gear from a roll. I'm very doubtful of that outcome.
I've never been in his car after stage 2 and he's never ridden in my stang. He's been in my GTI with JB1 and said he'd suck my doors off from a roll lol.

There isn't much data out there for current stage 2 STI's yet.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I am a bit surprised in your outcome as well.
A friend of mine has a 15 Stage 2 STI and claims he will walk my stock auto 15' GT stang with 3.55 gear from a roll. I'm very doubtful of that outcome.
I've never been in his car after stage 2 and he's never ridden in my stang. He's been in my GTI with JB1 and said he'd suck my doors off from a roll lol.

There isn't much data out there for current stage 2 STI's yet.

Your coyote will walk that stage 2 STI. :)

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
The new STI's are not very impressive once tuned, trust me I've been looking at them.

dre1615

Ready to race!
I had a stage 2 2011 STI back in the day. It was quick, but my Stage 1+ GTI feels faster. Especially at highway speeds the GTI feels like it pulls harder. You're pretty much limited to around 300ish WHP with a stage 2 STI, with the new models making slightly more. With EL headers, a protune and completely maxing out the stock turbo you may see almost 330 WHP. Get a tune and then report back!

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Haha that's because the new STI is the same damn thing (powertrain wise) as the old one, and the old one before that, and the old one before that lol

New ones have a twin scroll turbo and equal length headers, which makes them very less Subaru.

They make decent power on stock turbo and E85 supporting mods.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
New ones have a twin scroll turbo and equal length headers, which makes them very less Subaru.

They make decent power on stock turbo and E85 supporting mods.

Have you driven one? I found that the twin scroll still did not really change spool time. I would lean towards the WRX over the STI even if money we're not a concern. The FA20 feels peppy down low, has pretty good tuning potential, an identical 0-60 than the STI despite being about ~10K cheaper etc.

IF you track the cars a lot Id say the STI would be the better buy, but for 95% of people I think the WRX is the better fit.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Nah, not yet I might go drive one this week, found a 2015 certified pre-owned for 26k with 7k miles.

I'll report back with how fast I think it is lol.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
subbies are ass tune it and you will 1 gear rip em.

my friend has a 2012 STI, stage2 and he was talking all kinds of shit when i got my mk7. He lives a few towns away (i moved) so i haven't been out to run em, but this is making it much more appealing for me to just go this weekend and shut him up!