GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'15 GTI 80k, stock, babied since new - engine locked up :(

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
2015s have a ton of suicidal tendencies.

It could have ran lean due to the fuel pump, but it’s far more likely the cam bridge screen broke off & blocked oil flow or crank walk (or one causing the other, which I’ve seen happen to a local).

Nothing to be mad at VW about, revisions are made due to real world findings. This is why I preach never buy a first MY of anything. They can’t retroactively replace every 2015s engine as a precautionary measure.

However with all that said VWOA does have a history of helping out in situations like yours, so I’d be optimistic about that and if you’re polite they very well might comp the engine & LPFP replacement.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
I don’t believe the ea888 gen3 has a screen anymore. Ran lean and piston noped out.
That would support the LPFP being the ultimate cause...which the tech noted wasn't really connected back very well when recall was performed in 2017.

No one ever sits in that back seat. On this trip I had a few luggage bags on seat, less than the weight of a person though. Maybe that faulty wiring finally got messed up with just a little weight on rear seat?

I texted the dealer service lady back after the estimate ($18,000 for new long block lol):

"We will have to seek goodwill coverage from Volkswagen. That's the only way I could do that repair. I can't afford that obviously. I have a case open already. Rich said for me to email you guys all of my service records. I am working on that. If you guys can push Volkswagen for goodwill coverage you can potentially get a nice big job out of it. Car only has 80k, original owner, no modifications, and I was meticulous with the maintenance, so we would have a strong case. Should I be speaking to your service manager or Rich about that?"

I'm thinking it's in the dealers interest to push for goodwill too since it's the only way they get that big job.

Last edited:

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Also, who do I speak with at VW of America exactly? I opened up a case with a regional rep. They said they don't make goodwill judgement with customers; a dealer needs to request it of them. So I need to convince the dealer to make a case? I have more confidence in my own attention to detail, politeness, and persuasive abilities.

Last edited:

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Also, who do I speak with at VW of America exactly? I opened up a case with a regional rep. They said they don't make goodwill judgement with customers; a dealer needs to request it of them. So I need to convince the dealer to make a case? I have more confidence in my own attention to detail, politeness, and persuasive abilities.

Suuuper long shot, but perhaps try reaching out to Megan Closset, who is VWOA's product manager for the GTI, Golf R, and formerly the Golf. She's got an Insta and a LinkedIn.

Wish you luck with this. The 2017 low pressure fuel pump recall job sounds really suspect.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Can anyone tell me the difference between a "base engine" and a long block?

My uncle had to have his engine replaced on his 2015 Audi q3 (same engine I believe?). He had it done at a dealer here on Long Island,and the overall bill was $11,000. The repair order shows a " base engine" for around $8500. When I Google the part number, it comes up for VW and Audi with the same "base engine" term. He also had a new turbo. Wondering why the estimate on my car is $18,000. My estimate doesn't go into any detail, just one line at $18,000.

Waiting for VW goodwill verdict...but if it is not 100%, I want to make sure the bill itself is reasonable.

Thanks!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Can anyone tell me the difference between a "base engine" and a long block?

My uncle had to have his engine replaced on his 2015 Audi q3 (same engine I believe?). He had it done at a dealer here on Long Island,and the overall bill was $11,000. The repair order shows a " base engine" for around $8500. When I Google the part number, it comes up for VW and Audi with the same "base engine" term. He also had a new turbo. Wondering why the estimate on my car is $18,000. My estimate doesn't go into any detail, just one line at $18,000.

Waiting for VW goodwill verdict...but if it is not 100%, I want to make sure the bill itself is reasonable.

Thanks!
The difference between short block and long block - usually short is block, crank, pistons and rods all assembled. Long usually includes all of that plus oil pan, pump and top half of motor , heads, valve train, cams, valve cover, timing belt water pump etc. Not fuel pumps or injectors

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I'm one owner, and have all service records. Oil changes every 5k miles even though VW says every 10k. Everything by the book. No modifications. I drove it gently.
I wish you luck and hope you get some assistance from VWOA but start putting together a plan B. Used engine will be most affordable solution. Lots of low mileage rear end wrecks still around. You will have to look a bit to find an under 50K mi example.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Still waiting for a verdict from VW.

Doing some research, trade in seems to be around $12.8k.

What do you think it's worth with a bad engine?

If I don't get a good answer from VW, I'm having the car towed home. But I may tell the dealer they have 24 hours to make me an offer on the car before I decide.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Still waiting for a verdict from VW.

Doing some research, trade in seems to be around $12.8k.

What do you think it's worth with a bad engine?

If I don't get a good answer from VW, I'm having the car towed home. But I may tell the dealer they have 24 hours to make me an offer on the car before I decide.
My fingers are crossed that you get some help from VW. Such a bummer. Cost to fix exceeds market value of car by a lot which puts you in a tough place.

If you don’t get any help, you might consider removing all your mods. Get what you can for the car and look for a used car. Put your mods on and go. That might end up being cheapest way to move forward with least downtime . And without having to part your mods out for 1/2 what you paid for them.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
My fingers are crossed that you get some help from VW. Such a bummer. Cost to fix exceeds market value of car by a lot which puts you in a tough place.

If you don’t get any help, you might consider removing all your mods. Get what you can for the car and look for a used car. Put your mods on and go. That might end up being cheapest way to move forward with least downtime . And without having to part your mods out for 1/2 what you paid for them.
I have 0 mods - that's a reason I think VW should be able to help me.

Only "mod" I did was downgrade to 17" wheels to better cope with Long Island potholes. Literally 100% stock otherwise.

Fingers crossed too...I was supposed to hear back a few days ago... nothing yet.

Appreciate the support!

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
VW came back with 40% and I'd need to pay 60%...of $18,000 estimated by the dealer. Something but obviously that ain't happening.

I replied. We'll see what happens.

"Thanks for following up with me.

Me paying 60% of the quoted $18,000 to repair my car is still unaffordable to me and also wouldn't make financial sense.

Seeing as the car is original owner, perfectly maintained, and not modified, I was hoping that Volkswagen would have come forth with a stronger display of goodwill.

I had a paid off asset that was worth at least $13,000 as a trade in, and more than that private party which now is not functional due to a total engine failure that is clearly due to some latent defect. Not to mention the peril we encountered as the car died on a highway.

In order for me to entertain a repair at Northampton Volkswagen, my out of pocket costs would need to be kept at $3000 to $4000 tops. If that can be worked out, with either a greater goodwill by Volkswagen and/or an adjustment of the estimate by the dealer,please let me know by COB today 12/30. If we cannot reach an acceptable solution, I will begin arrangements to have the car towed home to me."

We'll see what they say.