GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'15 GTI 80k, stock, babied since new - engine locked up :(

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Hi folks, curious if anyone has any ideas. Was on trip from NY to Vermont, and the car died. Quick synopsis.

Cruising along as normal, all of a sudden, shaking, misfires, CEL/EPC light flashing, no power. Engine eventually dies. Can't restart.

Car gets towed to dealer in Massachusetts. I was in bay with technician.

They can't even crank it.

Codes for misfire and fuel pump short. No timing related codes.

Technician can't even manually turn the engine.

Tried to remove spark plugs, got 3 of them out, #1 is stuck after a few turns. I'm quite sure I didn't cross thread when I put them on 2 years ago. Tech doesn't want to force it, waiting for foreman to return next week for his opinion.

Tech noted fuel pump was messed with...it indeed was... suction pump recall done by my local dealer under warranty way back when. Tech said connector for wire was broken and wiring was sloppy.

Oil level fine.

Recent background - had slightly bent fingers on clutch pressure plate a few months ago with no identified cause. Possible clue the crankshaft wasn't quite right? But then I also have this fuel pump code. No check engine lights prior to this acute event.

Tech thinks something definitely up with cylinder #1, maybe causing the plug to be stuck? Fuel pump maybe spazzed out and cylinder 1 had some kind of major detonation event?

Today I return to NY, leaving the car in Massachusetts. Pretty ridiculous a stock car, driven gently, maintained religiously, would self destruct cruising on the highway with 80k miles.

Any thoughts at all on what could have happened?

Do I let the dealer try to the that spark plug out? They said they run the risk of ruining the threads in the head and that they will only do it if I'm sure I'm comfortable with it. We'll see if the foreman has any other ideas.

Thanks so much! Really stressed over this, ruined our vacation and may ruin is financially.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Will it start with the fuel pump wiring fixed?
Tech implied the wiring was functional he just noted that pump was previously touched since little part of the clip for connector was cracked and wire was a little out of place (grommet where it attached to body under seat was undone).

Normally he should be able to rotate the engine manually with a big wrench right? He showed me it was locked.

I will clarify the fuel pump when dealer is back on Monday.

Thanks!!

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
That's a great question. I'll have to ask Monday...I was frazzled so I didn't ask that. He just noted that it had a code for fuel pump short. I guess once he realized the motor wouldn't even turn, even manually, he suspected something larger at play?

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
BTW, aluminum cylinder heads can be helicoiled if needed. I did on my Saab with the head on the car. Ran great for many miles afterwards. Really need to get that plug out and have the cylinder scoped.
That's what I was thinking. Guessing a dealer just wants to do a new head vs a helicoil.

Dunno if I should have car transported to Long Island so I can have more interaction during the work, or let them work on it up in Massachusetts and just communicate long distance.

Unfortunately my local (great) Saab/VW Indy mechanic passed away.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
By the way, Diggs, every time I post a question or problem here I noticed that you're literally always first to immediately jump on it and offer advice - I really appreciate it!
That's because he's always on here, waiting in the shadows, to strike when you're least expecting it, like a damn NINJA!!!

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Wondering now if I heard some kind of metallic klinking sound right at the end when it totally died. Or if it was just the really bad misfire/ sputtering sound.

Diggs has me hoping it *may* be something as simple as fuel pump/wiring.

What would explain the motor not being able to be turned though? I assume that cannot be good.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Worse case scenario, piston getting seized up in the cylinder wall.
If the fuel pump thing is related, could cylinder #1 be over pressurized and thus he can't spin the engine via the crankshaft bolt and a wrench? The other 3 plugs are out and motor still can't be turned. I wonder if crazy pressure is what is making it hard to back that #1 plug out as well. He was able to break the plug loose and turn it a bit and then it got really hard to turn, at which point the tech got scared and didn't want to force it until he spoke with foreman.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
This dealer claims they recommend dropping the oil pan and inspecting (3 hours, what??) and/or digging into the timing system (3 hours, what??)

I asked about that spark plug. Did they try letting it sit with some penetrating oil? I asked them to try that next.

I said I understand they don't want me calling and speaking to the techs while they are working, but asked them to give the guy my cell phone number and have him call/text me as he's working on the car and we can discuss what he is finding as he goes. Otherwise it's like 1 question a day gets answered from 300 miles away.

Anyone know any good indys near Northampton, MA?