GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'15 GTI 80k, stock, babied since new - engine locked up :(

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Suuuper long shot, but perhaps try reaching out to Megan Closset, who is VWOA's product manager for the GTI, Golf R, and formerly the Golf. She's got an Insta and a LinkedIn.

Wish you luck with this. The 2017 low pressure fuel pump recall job sounds really suspect.
Not getting anywhere with the dealer.

My last try before getting the car towed home is reaching out to Megan Closset. Does anyone have contact info for her? Can I just call VW of A and ask for her email or phone?

I tried FB and LinkedIn. I can't add her as a FB friend, so my message may not be seen. I sent one anyway to see if maybe she sees it. On LinkedIn I can't message her unless we're connected, so I've sent a request.

Thanks!

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Do you plan on keeping the car after the work is complete? Because that offer of $10k for a brand-new 0 mi crate engine from VW did not sound bad at all, as other said, essentially a new car, and should have the 1 year warranty on the work done by the dealer....
You have had the car since new... and as you noted, cared for it well... so the body, suspension and chassis is solid? Mine has 50k mi and feels new, looks like new inside, I guess yours would not be far off at 80k?

At that point, unless you can find a used car that is as clean as yours, you would have to buy a new car or else it would be a downgrade imo.....
But then consider the used car prices are still super high ($20-25k for a 50k mi GTI?), and there very few people getting a MK8 at MSRP... you would also be getting the first year of the MK8, repeating your 2015 MK7 "issue" lol

I would fix it and keep my car.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It unfair to see your gently driven car implode at 80k, especially given my towing and other "abuse" on my 175k car. I recently replaced the engine on my daughter's Golf with 123,000 miles. It has a 70k engine now. Her local dealer quoted $10,400 plus tax for a new long block installed and $8400 plus tax for a used engine from LKQ. Labor alone was $2600! I KNEW that I didn't want a dealer to do the work. So, I rented a U-Haul truck and trailer then towed the car 225 miles to my local mechanic. U-Haul rental and gas was <$400, BTW.

He quoted "not to exceed $6500" installed and his quote included a new timing chain, tensioner, and rear main seal. I added additional parts such as an IS20 turbo upgrade, new injectors, water pump/t-stat/housing, radiator (leaking), and an intake cleaning to bring the total to just under $10k. The car is in excellent shape (engine aside); so, I hope it will last a long time.

I recall looking at new engines when her engine first failed. At the time, a new long block listed for $5900 plus tax and shipping. Just two weeks later, the same online dealer was listing a "coming soon" part for $8400 plus tax and shipping. So, I consider $10k for an installed new engine to be a good price, albeit one that you should not have to face with such a young car.

Still, $4000 is $4000. Could you be happy again with used engine? If you sold your car, what would you replace it with? I don't know if you're a VW fan or if you'd jump ship, perhaps in total disgust of what has happened. There are other cars that I've considered as my next car, but I think they'd be less satisfying than my GTI. I think I'm done with buying or "building" sporty cars, though. So, I hope to stretch my GTI's lifespan to its fullest! I created a video to share my thought process and shared it at

Good Luck!

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Looks like I've just about reached the end of the road regarding getting any additional help from VW.

I just bought a new car. (Jumped ship in disgust.)

So now my focus is parting ways from the GTI with the least financial damage to myself given the circumstances.

I'll ask the used car manager at the dealer up there to make me an offer on the car as is.

I can get it towed down to me and get a used engine put in a cheaply as possible and sell the car.

Do any of you want to make me an offer?

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Understandable. What did you end up with?

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Understandable. What did you end up with?
I got a new Toyota Highlander LE AWD...last of the V6 versions. Wanted something simple and reliable, AWD, and something my wife could drive as a backup to our Odyssey. We have 3 kids. It helps that my father in law sells Toyota. Got 2K off MSRP which is rare nowadays. With no car to trade in, it was still a tough purchase.

I plan to get a vintage Saab 900 turbo or Volvo 242 with a manual transmission to fulfill my fun, weekend car need. Amazingly, those engines are still ticking after 3 to 4 decades. :p

But, while I've only had it for 2 days, I'm actually enjoying the Toyota...in a totally different way than I enjoyed the GTI. I guess I'm getting old.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
I was thinking...

VW dealer repair = inflated $18,000

Goodwill offer of 40% represents around $7000.

Wonder if I can say sure I'll take the $7000, thank you very much. I'll forego the repair at the dealer part.

Worth a try! :)

Then it gets towed home unless the dealer up there makes me a great offer on the car .

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I was thinking...

Wonder if I can say sure I'll take the $7000, thank you very much. I'll forego the repair at the dealer part.

Then it gets towed home unless the dealer up there makes me a great offer on the car .

I'd probably start calling tow trucks 😂

It's definitely a shitty position to be in. I don't see the dealer making you an offer you'll be content with.

Sure, it would be much easier to sell if it was running, but fiscally it might not make sense. Call around and get some quotes, but I'd expect a $6k - $8k range to buy and put a used engine in it, to probably turn around and sell it for $12k - $13k. When in not running condition, it's worth maybe $4k - $5k to the right buyer? All rough estimates, and kind of hard to predict.

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
I'd probably start calling tow trucks 😂

It's definitely a shitty position to be in. I don't see the dealer making you an offer you'll be content with.

Sure, it would be much easier to sell if it was running, but fiscally it might not make sense. Call around and get some quotes, but I'd expect a $6k - $8k range to buy and put a used engine in it, to probably turn around and sell it for $12k - $13k. When in not running condition, it's worth maybe $4k - $5k to the right buyer? All rough estimates, and kind of hard to predict.
Right...if I can get 5k+ as is, may be worth it versus all the process to spend the time and $ to put in a used engine and then sell for the same 5k net profit. The foreman at the dealer thought it was worth maybe $6k at least as is to the right buyer.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I was thinking...

And then you woke up.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
My new replacement motor lasted 14,000 miles, before spinning a rod bearing. So that's a hard no. Luckily I didn't pay for it. Go built or low mileage used.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Thought this was OP. was like damn you have the worst luck