GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8s with 6sp Auto and TUNES

Pacman91

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys I'm planning to do a stage 2 uni tune on my 2016 1.8 with auto trans but I'm curious how many others have the tune and how the transmission has fared so far. Sorry if there's another Thread about this already I couldn't find one if there is.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I'm the equivalent of stage 2 plus with GTI turbo and jb4. I have been tuned since 200 miles. Now over 10000 with no problems.

Many stage 2 or more autos and no one as come forward with an issue yet.

Pacman91

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm the equivalent of stage 2 plus with GTI turbo and jb4. I have been tuned since 200 miles. Now over 10000 with no problems.

Many stage 2 or more autos and no one as come forward with an issue yet.

Great thanks! So you should be pushing 300ish hp then right? Do you know if there is a thread for us Auto non-dsg guys?

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Probably near 300 at the crank. I don't know of any specific non dsg thread. This thread should cover most everyone.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Another similar auto 1.8 here. Ran the NPM right away, then soonafter upgraded to JB1, then to JB4 last Fall. Now running JB4/IS20/DP for about 1600 miles. 22k total on my 2015. No issues (knocks on wood!)

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
I've had a Stage 1 Uni Tune on my 1.8 Auto for almost 10,000 km. There have been no issues with the transmission, or any other aspect of the powertrain for that matter.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
JB4 and downpipe for a few thousand. No issues at all. If anything I feel like the transmission works better under more power. Seems like shifts are firmer and sportmode works better.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
I have had the ARP Stage 1 tune on my auto 1.8T since 3k miles. Now has 30k on it. No issues at all:

Caesarmascetti

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 30k on mine, apr stage 2, full awe exhaust, turbo muffler delete etc.........no issues with the transmission at all

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Haven't been on my JB4 long at all (maybe 300 miles) but from what I've seen from others posting in the past the tiptronic may be the best bet for FWD if you plan on pushing a ton of power from the 1.8. The 5-speed manual's would likely have clutch issues just like the 6-speed manual GTI's and the 4-motion/Alltrak DSG's will require a tune to unlock torque above 280 ft lbs otherwise they will spazz out if your making more than that. Those tunes cost $700ish for the DSG but otherwise that transmission would hold more power overall.

I've yet to see anyone having issues with the 6-speed AISIN tiptronic auto slushbox yet and its a pretty damn good transmission from my experience so far. When I first installed my JB4 and did some hard pulls the pause in shifting would be disconcerting but slap it into S mode and it fixes that slow-shifting issue.

Only thing I've watch out for with any of these transmissions is the lack of LSD and uneven length axles. I'm not sure if anyone is running into torque steer but I would imagine if you are going IS20 with a good tune pushing 240+whp and 300+wtq you might have some torque steer.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I have my is20 pushed to almost 24psi peak and 20 at red line. That has to be near or over 300 whp. No dyno yet, but I was 300ft wheel torque at 16.5psi. Same air temp, same ignition advance.

The torque steer is pretty manageable. I get more torque steer in our stock AWD KIA. The XDS does an amazing job especially around corners where you have heavy load on the outer tire. Its not a true limited slip, but it's 70% better than nothing.

The only thing I notice is on a full power run where your on the edge of traction, you can feel the front end squirm a little as both sides of the car fight back and forth for traction. Though you could take your hand off the wheel and be okay.

I can't believe how well the transmission works at almost 100% more power. Any quirks it has. It had them stock.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I've been very impressed with the 5mt, sure I'm likely going to need to do a $1200 clutch job in the future but so far it's been holding flawlessly after being tuned for over 10k miles and more recently holding 25psi peak boost at the racetrack with e85 (well over 300ftlbs to the wheels). The advantage of the tiptronic auto is that it seems to be bulletproof, and to my knowledge there hasn't been a single problem with any 6AT holding however much power is thrown at it, whereas I know of at least a few people that needed to replace their clutch on the 5mt after a few tens of thousands of miles at stage 2 levels. Of course to me it's not even worth having a car that's automatic, but that's just me.

The torque steer with our cars is very unconventional. I personally find it kind of fun. When going flat out and giving it a little bit of steering input it becomes very obvious that the computer is holding on by the ragged edge trying it's absolute best to negate the torque steer, and as a result the car can become a bit squirley in such a way that it makes it very obvious how much power you're dealing with. When driving in a straight line you could take your hands off the steering wheel while going flat out and nothing would happen. I don't have too much perspective other than with a fiat 500 turbo that tries to rip the steering wheel out of your hands when you use too much throttle, but it seems VW has done the best they possibly could given the technology they have access to.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I have my is20 pushed to almost 24psi peak and 20 at red line. That has to be near or over 300 whp. No dyno yet, but I was 300ft wheel torque at 16.5psi. Same air temp, same ignition advance.

That is really a good indicator of what the IS20 can do for the 1.8. I was around 240 ft lb WTQ with the JB1 @5.6 PSI. That equates to ~17-18 PSI peak in mild to warmer temps. So, the upgrade to the JB4, IS20 and downpipe yields about 60 ft lbs WTQ, even when running a tad less boost! I remember when George emailed me when I was beta testing the JB4 and told me about your dyno. I had the fight the itch all Winter and then finally caved when April came, LOL.