GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8s with 6sp Auto and TUNES

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I've been very impressed with the 5mt, sure I'm likely going to need to do a $1200 clutch job in the future but so far it's been holding flawlessly after being tuned for over 10k miles and more recently holding 25psi peak boost at the racetrack with e85 (well over 300ftlbs to the wheels). The advantage of the tiptronic auto is that it seems to be bulletproof, and to my knowledge there hasn't been a single problem with any 6AT holding however much power is thrown at it, whereas I know of at least a few people that needed to replace their clutch on the 5mt after a few tens of thousands of miles at stage 2 levels. Of course to me it's not even worth having a car that's automatic, but that's just me.

The torque steer with our cars is very unconventional. I personally find it kind of fun. When going flat out and giving it a little bit of steering input it becomes very obvious that the computer is holding on by the ragged edge trying it's absolute best to negate the torque steer, and as a result the car can become a bit squirley in such a way that it makes it very obvious how much power you're dealing with. When driving in a straight line you could take your hands off the steering wheel while going flat out and nothing would happen. I don't have too much perspective other than with a fiat 500 turbo that tries to rip the steering wheel out of your hands when you use too much throttle, but it seems VW has done the best they possibly could given the technology they have access to.

It's amazing how well your clutch is holding up, even through those passes at the strip. Must have gotten a good one!

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I've been very impressed with the 5mt, sure I'm likely going to need to do a $1200 clutch job in the future but so far it's been holding flawlessly after being tuned for over 10k miles and more recently holding 25psi peak boost at the racetrack with e85 (well over 300ftlbs to the wheels). The advantage of the tiptronic auto is that it seems to be bulletproof, and to my knowledge there hasn't been a single problem with any 6AT holding however much power is thrown at it, whereas I know of at least a few people that needed to replace their clutch on the 5mt after a few tens of thousands of miles at stage 2 levels. Of course to me it's not even worth having a car that's automatic, but that's just me.

The torque steer with our cars is very unconventional. I personally find it kind of fun. When going flat out and giving it a little bit of steering input it becomes very obvious that the computer is holding on by the ragged edge trying it's absolute best to negate the torque steer, and as a result the car can become a bit squirley in such a way that it makes it very obvious how much power you're dealing with. When driving in a straight line you could take your hands off the steering wheel while going flat out and nothing would happen. I don't have too much perspective other than with a fiat 500 turbo that tries to rip the steering wheel out of your hands when you use too much throttle, but it seems VW has done the best they possibly could given the technology they have access to.

Yeah. Its funny thinking of how the computer and stock systems are trying so hard yet actually acomplishing something usefull at a power level the car was never meant to have. Over engineered or just lucky. I'll take it.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
That is really a good indicator of what the IS20 can do for the 1.8. I was around 240 ft lb WTQ with the JB1 @5.6 PSI. That equates to ~17-18 PSI peak in mild to warmer temps. So, the upgrade to the JB4, IS20 and downpipe yields about 60 ft lbs WTQ, even when running a tad less boost! I remember when George emailed me when I was beta testing the JB4 and told me about your dyno. I had the fight the itch all Winter and then finally caved when April came, LOL.

Your original dyno run is still up in Burger site isn't it?

Good time to have a Golf, or A3.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Haven't been on my JB4 long at all (maybe 300 miles) but from what I've seen from others posting in the past the tiptronic may be the best bet for FWD if you plan on pushing a ton of power from the 1.8. The 5-speed manual's would likely have clutch issues just like the 6-speed manual GTI's and the 4-motion/Alltrak DSG's will require a tune to unlock torque above 280 ft lbs otherwise they will spazz out if your making more than that. Those tunes cost $700ish for the DSG but otherwise that transmission would hold more power overall.

I've yet to see anyone having issues with the 6-speed AISIN tiptronic auto slushbox yet and its a pretty damn good transmission from my experience so far. When I first installed my JB4 and did some hard pulls the pause in shifting would be disconcerting but slap it into S mode and it fixes that slow-shifting issue.

Only thing I've watch out for with any of these transmissions is the lack of LSD and uneven length axles. I'm not sure if anyone is running into torque steer but I would imagine if you are going IS20 with a good tune pushing 240+whp and 300+wtq you might have some torque steer.

I have the 4motion GSW with DSG running the JB4 with IS20 and the DSG has not spazzed out yet.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Your original dyno run is still up in Burger site isn't it?

Good time to have a Golf, or A3.

Yes, that's it. He doesn't show the JB1 4th gear pull where it scored a slightly higher torque number, since it hit the speed limiter and HP wasn't as good as in 3rd gear. Just doubled checked, it was 233 WTQ in 3rd gear and 238 WTQ in 4th. Quite a nice jump up from there:D.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
That is really a good indicator of what the IS20 can do for the 1.8. I was around 240 ft lb WTQ with the JB1 @5.6 PSI. That equates to ~17-18 PSI peak in mild to warmer temps. So, the upgrade to the JB4, IS20 and downpipe yields about 60 ft lbs WTQ, even when running a tad less boost! I remember when George emailed me when I was beta testing the JB4 and told me about your dyno. I had the fight the itch all Winter and then finally caved when April came, LOL.

I've done lots of logs. Even some where the IAT got up to 140 degrees. The highest boost that I've seen the ECU call for has been 10.5 psi and the dme_bt has been 11.7 psi. Since the JB4 seems to work off the ECU request, I think the most you would see in a 5.6 setting is maybe 15-16. Most of the time I've tried additive it always fell short of the target request though. So I think even that is optimistic. More realistic is probably 14-15 at best in hot weather. So taking that into account, guys are probably laying down some pretty good numbers when they are actually getting 17 psi on JB4 only with no other mods.

patrickmcfarland

Car(s)
2016 MK 7 Golf TSI
JB1, then APR stage 1, now Stage 2 looking to do an IS20 upgrade. 44k miles.

Have tracked, dragged, and dynoed the car.
Hey do you know the stage 2 numbers. Apr doesnt claim a huge difference between stage 1 and 2 but they also claim 90 torque and like 30hp from their race downipe. I’m stage 1+ 93 oct and it’s not a very big number increase compared to stage 2 on apr website. Doesn’t seem to make sense to me. Is it a difference