GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crank walk / class action (we need to get together)

jibbajoe

Passed Driver's Ed
For what its worth, i have a 2015 manual. i put a southbend stage 2 daily clutch in at around 60k miles. i'm at 97k miles now. no issues. my 96k mile oil sample had no abnormal readings for wear metals either. have had a jb1/jb4 on the car since around 30k miles.

Except now i'm paranoid and asking my mechanic how hard it is to inspect thrust washers...

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
For what its worth, i have a 2015 manual. i put a southbend stage 2 daily clutch in at around 60k miles. i'm at 97k miles now. no issues. my 96k mile oil sample had no abnormal readings for wear metals either. have had a jb1/jb4 on the car since around 30k miles.

Except now i'm paranoid and asking my mechanic how hard it is to inspect thrust washers...
Just send it bro.

Pretend you never saw this thread.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Just send it bro.

Pretend you never saw this thread.

Psh crankwalk. What's another $5k to the loan.

Has it happened to many Rs? I know the polls have been about stock clutches and aftermarket clutches, but how many of them are GTIs and how many of them are Rs?

FrankieThissen

Car(s)
'20 GTI S 6spd
Oh the joys of stumbling across this thread one WEEK into ownership :rolleyes:.

Has anyone considered the situations that caused the crank walk? High tq situations, Highway pulls, hard launches, etc??

With my old Focus ST LSPI was the biggest issue here so you just didn't floor it below 2500rpm in higher gears and you'd be okay.

Either way seems like a small group that is blown up through forums/groups as the cars been out for 5 years now and nothing has been escalated.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Yes, the likelihood of you getting it are very slim.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yes, the likelihood of you getting it are very slim.

It doesn't help that a fairly popular YouTuber put out some videos about it where they say "It's not a matter of if, but when!" implying that it will happen to anyone who tunes their car.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Who is this YouTuber?

tigeo

Autocross Champion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If stock cars are having crank walk issues, you'd have a chance. They aren't though.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If stock cars are having crack walk issues, you'd have a chance. They aren't though.

Exactly. Keep your car stock and when you need a new clutch get OEM. No class action lawsuit there.

OR get a DSG and tune it and send it. 😂

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Exactly. Keep your car stock and when you need a new clutch get OEM. No class action lawsuit there.

OR get a DSG and tune it and send it. 😂

I'm somewhat regretting not getting the DSG, but I really do enjoy shifting. I'll eventually do a DMF SRE clutch and eventually end up with IS38 with stock DP. I'm not greedy and it's fwd, even stg 1 is tough to put to the ground on a road course or autocross.