GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crank walk / class action (we need to get together)

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
Ah yes, got it now and I figured that what he meant. So someone bought a car they couldn't afford, modded it, lost warranty coverage that they needed to be able to afford the car, it blew up using an aftermarket part, and now they want someone to pay for it b/c they can't and they still owe the bank for it. Holy bad financial decisions. Sad and I don't wish this stuff on folks but really, you just can't pin this on anyone.
If you’re in financial position to throw down 25-35k on a car without a worry, that’s great for you. You do not represent the average person by a long shot. Doing engine mods on a car at that point is their own risk. I don’t consider installing a new clutch, even if heavier, to be a risky mod, but no one is going to win a lawsuit over it.

Being cynical on a car forum for mods is funny tho.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You guys should be going after DKM and other aftermarket vendors who are responsible for destroying your engines. There is no case against VW...
But how? How to prove that they knowingly produced a product that caused this? You would need a ton of data and it's not going to be there. For everyone of these issues, there are I am sure a substantial amount of folks using aftermarket clutches on these cars with no issue.

Reactions: kak

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If you’re in financial position to throw down 25-35k on a car without a worry, that’s great for you. You do not represent the average person by a long shot. Doing engine mods on a car at that point is their own risk. I don’t consider installing a new clutch, even if heavier, to be a risky mod, but no one is going to win a lawsuit over it.

Being cynical on a car forum for mods is funny tho.
I certainly don't represent the average person here but that isn't the point. If you change your car beyond what the OEM intended, you have to accept responsibly for it...this isn't that hard to grasp and doesn't matter if you own your car or owe on your car. If you owe money on your car, you should be being v. careful with modding if a major repair were to cause a financial hardship for you - I understand/agree with you regarding a clutch, doesn't sound like a particularly risky mod but it's not a stock/like stock item, it's a performance item that is heavier duty. My issue here is not the financial part, it's expecting an aftermarket company or the OEM to be responsible for any of this. You are correct - the lawsuit will be a shitshow and he won't win/no lawyer would take it. Cynical? I call it reality-based discussion...I guess I'm a boomer now..ahahhaha I've modded my car and had a great time with it, I'm 47 and this is the first time I've done this kind of thing in my life and that's b/c...drumroll...I can finally f'ing afford it and all the potential consequences that come with it. Until now, I needed to be careful b/c I didn't own my cars and couldn't have covered the expensive repairrs. Watch my car will blow a piston tonight..hahahaha

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I certainly don't represent the average person here but that isn't the point. If you change your car beyond what the OEM intended, you have to accept responsibly for it...this isn't that hard to grasp and doesn't matter if you own your car or owe on your car. If you owe money on your car, you should be being v. careful with modding if a major repair were to cause a financial hardship for you - I understand/agree with you regarding a clutch, doesn't sound like a particularly risky mod but it's not a stock/like stock item, it's a performance item that is heavier duty. My issue here is not the financial part, it's expecting an aftermarket company or the OEM to be responsible for any of this. You are correct - the lawsuit will be a shitshow and he won't win/no lawyer would take it. Cynical? I call it reality-based discussion...I guess I'm a boomer now..ahahhaha I've modded my car and had a great time with it, I'm 47 and this is the first time I've done this kind of thing in my life and that's b/c...drumroll...I can finally f'ing afford it and all the potential consequences that come with it. Until now, I needed to be careful b/c I didn't own my cars and couldn't have covered the expensive repairrs. Watch my car will blow a piston tonight..hahahaha

I agree plus the lawyer fees would cost more than the repair all for a lost cause. It's not possible to prove anything.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So just today a guy posted that VW is replacing the engine in a GTI with an IS38 and aftermarket clutch with a new engine due to crank walk. He's paying 3800, but VW is covering most of it even out of warranty.

Seriously, if it's a known issue, even if modified, just be nice and work with VW.

cb1111

If I put an aftermarket clutch on my vehicle and it bricks my engine because of a weak thrust bearing and I have no other amplifying mods, I wouldn’t think it outside the realm to be upset since it’s commonplace to not only replace a clutch, but compare options.

That isn’t the point of my post, anyways. Nor did I even say any of that. I’m not sure how you misconstrued me breaking down financial capabilities into a lawsuit in that post, but bravo.
The thrust bearing is only "weak" if it regularly grenades with the stock clutch

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
The thrust bearing is only "weak" if it regularly grenades with the stock clutch
If you’ve ever taken a mechanical or materials course, you’d know that designing a part to meet the exact certification for a part is terrible engineering. It’s entry level stuff.

There won’t be a suit, and the likelihood of getting VW to warrant an engine from it is highly unlikely. It doesn’t make it not ridiculous, regardless of the notion that “it isn’t spec!”

cb1111

If you’ve ever taken a mechanical or materials course, you’d know that designing a part to meet the exact certification for a part is terrible engineering. It’s entry level stuff.

There won’t be a suit, and the likelihood of getting VW to warrant an engine from it is highly unlikely. It doesn’t make it not ridiculous, regardless of the notion that “it isn’t spec!”
We don't know what spec it is made to. We only know what spec it apparently isn't made for.

One problem is that we don't really know if the aftermarket parts are made to a consistent and tested spec.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
But how? How to prove that they knowingly produced a product that caused this? You would need a ton of data and it's not going to be there. For everyone of these issues, there are I am sure a substantial amount of folks using aftermarket clutches on these cars with no issue.

In the small Facebook sample, there are 90%+ people with aftermarket clutches without any issues. Good luck on that lawsuit (not directing that last statement at you).

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Isn't there a diesel version of the this engine we can crib a better thrust bearing?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Exactly, VW specifically warranties their lineup only in its stock form. If there is widespread issues relating to crank walk on unmodified cars than this discussion has merit, but otherwise there's not much substance behind this.

Also feeling like I may be having a touch of rose tinted nostalgia glasses syndrome but I feel like this forum has just been getting kinda messy these last few months. At least more than usual.

Maybe it’s the oil viscosity?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
In the small Facebook sample, there are 90%+ people with aftermarket clutches without any issues. Good luck on that lawsuit (not directing that last statement at you).
Correct.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Can anyone tell me if crankwalk damages the clutch, flywheel or pressure plate at all? Just had my engine crankwalk on me and need to know if I can reuse my clutch. Or would I be tempting fate considering it's a DKM clutch?