GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crank walk / class action (we need to get together)

Hunter1Lane

been gone a few days, cant believe this issue is still going on and is ever growing in popularity, its really a moot point since the % of people affected is lower than 1 it was a 4/1000th of 1%, its a joke. lets move on

would be a joke or it happened to you. Please feel free to move the hell on!

Hunter1Lane

The thought that this issue would ever rise to the level of needing a class action law suit points to what's wrong with folks now - not wanting to take ownership for your actions/wanting others to cover your issues. I tuned/added parts to my car, it's 100% on me at this point unless there are issues that are clearly defective on stock cars (water pump/thermo housing for instance) that have nothing to do with what I've done. Even then, you have to accept that they may deny your claim and I'd be ok with it

Guess you never lost a 40k$ car cuz you upgraded a clutch. Your a real asshole. and yeah the companies that sell this shit have absolutely nothing to do with it! Nor should they of put a disclaimer in the box, or maybe do a little R and D so it doesn’t destroy people’s cars, that’s just too much to ask?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ Hope your car blows tomorrow.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You are correct that I have never lost a $40K car b/c I upgraded the clutch - how in hell can that cost $40K? At most your'e in a engine rebuild and yeah, that's not cheap but it's not a total loss either. You pay to play this game and going with aftermarket parts always carries a risk and is 100% buyer-beware. I am well aware of those risks with the aftermarket bits I've done to my car and will own it if I blow my engine up as I should. I did substantial research into those upgrades which is still not a guarantee that I won't have issues. If I had a manual and was going to upgade my clutch, you can bet I'd be all over the interwebs to look at what risks are involved and this would pop up as a red flag. Still seems rare. If this makes me an asshole so be it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Not sure how To prove it, nor did I even know think you’d destroy an engine by upgrading a clutch

All my friends and people I’ve spoke to including mechanics that rebuild some golf R’s with this issue said a weak bearing

That the point of this thread to understand who’s experience this and who to hold accountable for the people who lost there 30k$ cars
Still not understanding how you loose the entire car b/c the clutch causes crank walk? b/c the bank owns it and you walk away? What does an engine rebuild cost? A used engine? Can't be anywhere close.

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
Still not understanding how you loose the entire car b/c the clutch causes crank walk? b/c the bank owns it and you walk away? What does an engine rebuild cost? A used engine? Can't be anywhere close.
You’re being literal for the point of misunderstanding on purpose. If you’re on loan for a $25-35k car and a new, non-OEM clutch causes crank walk, I would doubt one’s ability to lay down several grand at once for a new engine, thus making them out a $30k car.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
You’re being literal for the point of misunderstanding on purpose. If you’re on loan for a $25-35k car and a new, non-OEM clutch causes crank walk, I would doubt one’s ability to lay down several grand at once for a new engine, thus making them out a $30k car.

Not necessarily. The correct move is to finance when interest is below investment potential.

If I can't beat 6% with $15,000 in five years... I don't need to be in business to begin with.

So, why'd I put down $12,000, then? Well, obligations. It's better to show small obligations; but to balance that by having the money to invest.

Best way to do that is come close to splitting it right down the middle.

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
Not necessarily. The correct move is to finance when interest is below investment potential.

If I can't beat 6% with $15,000 in five years... I don't need to be in business to begin with.

So, why'd I put down $12,000, then? Well, obligations. It's better to show small obligations; but to balance that by having the money to invest.

You’re comparing your financial ability and decision making to someone else’s. You’re going to beat your head against a wall there.

cb1111

If your mod breaks something on your VW, then either you have to be mentally and fiscally prepared to pay for whatever breaks or you don't mod.

You'd have a much better chance at filing a lawsuit against the company that sold the part than going after VW.

kak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 R 6MT
If your mod breaks something on your VW, then either you have to be mentally and fiscally prepared to pay for whatever breaks or you don't mod.

You'd have a much better chance at filing a lawsuit against the company that sold the part than going after VW.
If I put an aftermarket clutch on my vehicle and it bricks my engine because of a weak thrust bearing and I have no other amplifying mods, I wouldn’t think it outside the realm to be upset since it’s commonplace to not only replace a clutch, but compare options.

That isn’t the point of my post, anyways. Nor did I even say any of that. I’m not sure how you misconstrued me breaking down financial capabilities into a lawsuit in that post, but bravo.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
No one tries to sue VW when they run a hot tune and grenade the engine.

Why would you try to do so after you put in a stage 2/3 clutch and take the crank for a walk.

If you run the machine out of spec and it breaks down it's not the manufacturer's fault. It sucks obviously, but it's the operator's fault

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
No one tries to sue VW when they run a hot tune and grenade the engine.

Why would you try to do so after you put in a stage 2/3 clutch and take the crank for a walk.

If you run the machine out of spec and it breaks down it's not the manufacturer's fault. It sucks obviously, but it's the operator's fault
Exactly, VW specifically warranties their lineup only in its stock form. If there is widespread issues relating to crank walk on unmodified cars than this discussion has merit, but otherwise there's not much substance behind this.

Also feeling like I may be having a touch of rose tinted nostalgia glasses syndrome but I feel like this forum has just been getting kinda messy these last few months. At least more than usual.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
You’re comparing your financial ability and decision making to someone else’s. You’re going to beat your head against a wall there.

The suggestion was that if you finance a relatively inexpensive car, you can't afford a repair.

My point was that that's not the case as often as people think. Many people finance cars for long-term sensibility.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
You guys should be going after DKM and other aftermarket vendors who are responsible for destroying your engines. There is no case against VW...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ah yes, got it now and I figured that what he meant. So someone bought a car they couldn't afford, modded it, lost warranty coverage that they needed to be able to afford the car, it blew up using an aftermarket part, and now they want someone to pay for it b/c they can't and they still owe the bank for it. Holy bad financial decisions. Sad and I don't wish this stuff on folks but really, you just can't pin this on anyone. The court case here would be brutal to prove that XYZ clutch company knowingly/willingly produced a product that nuked your car/falsely advertised, etc.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion

The math always points to this but life says I'd rather have the title to my car always. I own my car, it's modded, and I can therefore afford the grenaded engine if it happens. In your case you can too b/c the money is sitting in a bank account. The fact is people use this as a justification to borrow money but rarely follow-through with the savings part and typically blow it. I just find it easier to buy infrequently, put at least 20% down to avoid the upside down drama, and pay it off as soon as possible and drive it forever. I have no issue borrowing money and have many times because of the flexibility it affords, but this last time, I actually had the cash and had it paid off in about 6 mos vs. having all the money make ~10%+ vs. the 3% loan, just not enough money to dick with it in the end. Now for a house, sure, I'm not taking all of my money out of the bank to pay off a 15 year mortgage at 3% but we are an order of magnitude higher in that case in terms of money. Anyway, financial discussion vs. the OPs issue with the clutch....