GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I had better straight line traction with 300tw summer tires than NT05. Not really a big fan of them. Ok as cheap autocross or track tire maybe.

I have 555r now and they grip quite well for a streetable tire. 05r supposed to better though.

I've had great experiences with the n05r when they are new, easily 1.5x as sticky as the nt555r but they do not last long at all, once you get about 50 heat cycles in them they lose a lot of their grip and get hard, and i never got >5k miles out of a set. when they are new they are god like..... in the rain they are outright scary and dangerous, like go park somewhere and call your hot ex girlfriend to come pick you up and then wait for the rain to stop type scary.

for a reasonable street tire I really liked the nt555r and I would routinely get >10k miles out of them and used on daily commute with ease, i found when they broke away they would pedal really well and they get more sticky and more sticky as they get hot, unlike some tires get greasy, so I personally didn't find them to just break away and lose all traction, meaning I found them to do pretty well when hazing the tires through a gear with moderate wheelspin, so the breakaway characteristics of them weren't bad.

i have no experience with the 888 tires though but have heard good things and all the crazy fast fwd street cars seem to run them and for some reason I don't see a lot of faster fwd street cars running the n555r anymore? although 888s are loud on the street. I think that crazy 1,500hp integra 1/2 mile car runs those 888r and boost by mph to set those crazy 200+mph 1/2 mile world records?

Last edited:

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
what is the consensus on how to save these stock motors on that last cylinder that everyone keeps losing?

only thing to do I guess is just run the strongest ethanol blend you can and don't do crazy long pulls if coolant or oil temps are too hot?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Keep it well fed with fuel.

Couldn’t agree more. I know a few of the high hp builds that have failed have all gone lean and starved for fuel at one point in their past. Can’t help but think that led to the failure in the long run.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Screenshot_20200907-221056.png

Full weight besides the spare, 30psi, E65 fuel (which is what's coming out of the pump) and the 235/40/18 PS4s sitting on traction control until 90ish. One and only pass, I wanted high 7s as the car sits and it did it on the first run so I called it a night, one and done.

Still waiting on the MAP sensor to put more boost to it. Stuck here for now...but not a bad place to be at all.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

Agree. Needs another 5-6psi and more tire.

Maybe a light weight battery (mine is on the way out)...I want to drop weight without actually making the car suck to daily drive.

I'd dyno it but I'm not that interested until I can turn up the boost.