GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Demon Trans tries to bankrupt me, at least it's not a DSG - that would be gay

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Actually, I only went stage 3 which if these ratings are accurate should be more than plenty, even on the e48 tune for the IS38. Sneeky says that tune maxes at 450. I don't know where they measure but Even if that's at the wheels, it should mean 500 max at the crank?

Look at these specs:

Stage 3 – 575 ft lbs
Stage 3+ – 635 ft lbs
Stage 4 – 735 ft lbs
Stage 5 – 810 ft lbs

735lbs? 810lbs?

What setup is even capable of creating that much torque on a 2 liter VW?

This better not be bullshit because I will be mighty upset if I find myself in sliptown 5k miles from now.
I’m not confident in those ratings when it comes to a e888.3 setup… those ratings are all carry overs with the fsi cars, these cars hit TQ so much more agressive plus all the ratings are really just made from data based on the oem clutch’s capabilities “ if xyz lbs pressure plate holds this much and this has 3x pressure it’s should hold this” same with the disc materials slip coefficient. It’s the reason I had switched my order from a stage 4 to a stage 5 RR last min, I just wanted the extra piece of mind.

Driving the various clutch’s in my car i feel like you can somewhat feel from the driver seat what’s a setup that can hold a lot of TQ and abuse… I knew when driving Simon’s first ACT that is was waay overrated for what it could hold cause the pedal was so light (yes platform to platform that wouldn’t mean alot but when we are talking about pressure plates in our cars they are bound by all brand having work with the same size and leverage points of thier fingers on the clutch so you can feel when one has higher clamping pressure than another by your left foot) plus the friction material was so smooth and forgiving ( it was a dream to drive, and I loved it) but just knew it wasn’t gonna hold. Having a 5 with the grabbier disc and heavy ass pressure plate I would still be a little worried about a spicy is38 tune on it🤷🏼‍♂️ you should try and see if you can swap to a stage 4 disc at a min. It’s still very smooth for a cerametalic surface, leaps smoother that my ceramic puck one I had

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
^^^ Are the pressure plates the same for all their options? Only the disc changes?

Also, been a while. What's been going on? Same car? Same house?

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm tired form looking at all 17 pages.

OP:
I would not buy a Tesla. I don't like any company with limited factory service options.
I would not sell your car because of a clutch. OR at least I don't think much of the possible replacement choices. IMO, none are reliable.
And to the member who was looking for a mechanical breakdown contract (what an "extended warranty" is really), I found what I think is a good one by a major company if you're interested. Of course, any mods will void it).
And to those who forsake DSGs, I drove cars with REAL transmissions and clutches in the 70's. Super T-10s with 12" HD 'Vette clutches. These hydraulic-assist ones feel like toys to me. The only HA one had was a manual Mazda RX-3, and I could easily push the clutch pedal in with my hand. To me, driving one of these makes you less of an enthusiast. :)

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
...... To me, driving one of these makes you less of an enthusiast. :)

You had me at the first half.... but LESS of an enthusiast? lol come on, why not equal but different... My next car will probably be DSG, but at most its a lateral move, not an enthusiast upgrade.

How do you feel about hydraulic steering assist? What about the electric one we have in these cars?

How about the electronic throttle? Unless you run the risk of getting the throttle cable stuck open, you arent an enthusiast, right?

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I'm tired form looking at all 17 pages.

OP:
I would not buy a Tesla. I don't like any company with limited factory service options.
I would not sell your car because of a clutch. OR at least I don't think much of the possible replacement choices. IMO, none are reliable.
And to the member who was looking for a mechanical breakdown contract (what an "extended warranty" is really), I found what I think is a good one by a major company if you're interested. Of course, any mods will void it).
And to those who forsake DSGs, I drove cars with REAL transmissions and clutches in the 70's. Super T-10s with 12" HD 'Vette clutches. These hydraulic-assist ones feel like toys to me. The only HA one had was a manual Mazda RX-3, and I could easily push the clutch pedal in with my hand. To me, driving one of these makes you less of an enthusiast. :)
Lol can't blame you. Haven't seen you around in a while, hope you're doing well.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
^^^ Are the pressure plates the same for all their options? Only the disc changes?

Also, been a while. What's been going on? Same car? Same house?
The 3+ uses the same pressure plate as stage 5, which is different than stage 3 or 4.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Right. I've got an email exchange going with them now to sort out what to do.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Well looks like I'll probably be sending the stage 3 back to swap for a stage 4. Between shipping and other costs it'll be an extra $200. Wish I'd contacted them and asked before buying instead of just reading the spec sheet. That was the mistake I made with the rsr.

At least now I know what to check for prior to reassembly.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Well looks like I'll probably be sending the stage 3 back to swap for a stage 4. Between shipping and other costs it'll be an extra $200. Wish I'd contacted them and asked before buying instead of just reading the spec sheet. That was the mistake I made with the rsr.

At least now I know what to check for prior to reassembly.
Good to hear, you’ll like the feel of the ringer.

Same hood, same car but no longer a DD, got a Passat GT for about 10 months then traded that to have a plug in car for the DD that’s much faster than a dd needs to be 😂

P.s. still don’t have the clutch bypass installed 😂

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You had me at the first half.... but LESS of an enthusiast? lol come on, why not equal but different... My next car will probably be DSG, but at most its a lateral move, not an enthusiast upgrade.

How do you feel about hydraulic steering assist? What about the electric one we have in these cars?

How about the electronic throttle? Unless you run the risk of getting the throttle cable stuck open, you arent an enthusiast, right?
I was fine with hydraulic power steering, and no I didn't invent it. I had 2 cars w/o PS (one was an old '60 Chevy I learned to drove on and take the driver's test), I couldn't stand how many turns lock-to-lock they were with the large steering wheels on the older cars. I think I had one of the early electric racks back in 1991 on my Mazda MX-6 GT Turbo. It would occasionally hiccup and I there was no power. I don't like electronic throttles; I don't think anyone does. Wouldn't you prefer full control over your throttle w/o mods? It DOES eliminate sticking cables. Had that happen to me, and a new cable didn't help. It still worked but was still very hard to press the go pedal. Traded it in on a new MK4 GTI, my first VW. :)

I could ask you if you like the drive by wire steering and braking systems on Nissans but I don't think anyone thinks they're that trustworthy. I would welcome a good "self-driving" system if they weren't on cars I didn't like. Everything is in the name of MPG, one way or another, at the buyer's expense.

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I was fine when I hydraulic power steering. I think I had one of the early electric racks back in 1991 on my Mazda MX-6 GT. It would occasionally hiccup and I had no power. I don't like electronic throttles; I don't think anyone does. It DOES eliminate sticking cables. I Had that happen to me, and a new cable didn't help. It still worked but was very hard to press the go pedal. Traded it in on a MK4.

I could ask you if you like the drive by wire steering and braking they have on Nissans but I don't think anyone thinks they're good.

My only experience with throttle cables are on dirt bikes... Had to take them apart and clean them after every other ride.... the newer bikes eventually got electronic throttles.... huge advantage... couldn't find a drawback.

The early S2000s started with cable and the later years move on to electronic, supposedly superior and more sought after for tuning purposes....

I could ask you if you like the drive by wire steering and braking they have on Nissans but I don't think anyone thinks they're good.

I would have to try it first... but its going to be a lot harder than a trottle, you can basically program the pedal with a sensor to be 1:1 and it will be almost indistinguishable other than it being smother and lighter...

But brakes and steering? I am not sure... it kind of looks cool though, the new Lexus one is like a spaceship.... maybe we can get Fanatec steering wheel upgrades in the future with force feedback lol

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Good to hear, you’ll like the feel of the ringer.

Same hood, same car but no longer a DD, got a Passat GT for about 10 months then traded that to have a plug in car for the DD that’s much faster than a dd needs to be 😂

P.s. still don’t have the clutch bypass installed 😂

You went EV? You traitorous bastard. Lulz.

I actually thought about it too. In 2021 i bought a house with solar. But I also bought a motorcycle which I use half the year so my car milage dropped.

Then I decided I didn't like the house so I bought another one. That one doesn't have solar, yet but it is even closer to work.

Between the short commute and bike, I'm driving barely 5k a year now.

Maybe we can hang again sometime, like when I need some hands to help lift the tranny again *cough* :)

Last edited: