GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Yeah, now the glass companies are trying to tell me that I have a heated windshield. 2019 Golf Alltrack SEL - Lane departure, rain sensor, auto highbeams.

Anybody have a part number?
Got it. 5GM845011ASNVB - not heated, just rain sensor and lane departure. The lane departure camera supports the auto high beams.

That dumped one of the installers.

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Just make sure the sensors are seated properly when they reinstall. Safelite left bubbles so my auto wipers were bugging out. I opted to not have them fix it and instead got a refund and oem replacement elsewhere because that was only one of the many issues I experienced, all stemming from competence (or lack thereof). I lost trust.

In my experience, independent shops seem to take much more care and are significantly more thorough, doing things 100% the first time.

cb1111

Just make sure the sensors are seated properly when they reinstall. Safelite left bubbles so my auto wipers were bugging out. I opted to not have them fix it and instead got a refund and oem replacement elsewhere because that was only one of the many issues I experienced, all stemming from competence (or lack thereof). I lost trust.

In my experience, independent shops seem to take much more care and are significantly more thorough, doing things 100% the first time.
Bingo - Safelite is probably fine for a simple repair but they are awful of replacements. Some of you may remember my S6 saga. Safelite twice replaced my glass with the wrong glass (the S6 glass was just a hair different from the A6 glass that they kept reinstalling. I ended up going to Audi, who ordered the glass from Germany, gave me a loaner while we waited and Safelite ended up putting that glass in at the dealer, breaking the mirror and slicing up the A pillar - which the dealer charged back to Safelite.

I despise Safelite.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Bingo - Safelite is probably fine for a simple repair but they are awful of replacements. Some of you may remember my S6 saga. Safelite twice replaced my glass with the wrong glass (the S6 glass was just a hair different from the A6 glass that they kept reinstalling. I ended up going to Audi, who ordered the glass from Germany, gave me a loaner while we waited and Safelite ended up putting that glass in at the dealer, breaking the mirror and slicing up the A pillar - which the dealer charged back to Safelite.

I despise Safelite.
JFC, that’s a debacle. Understandable why you feel that way. Getting ready to call my fleet insurance company to fill a chip and the safelite guy they send always does a good job. They’ve done well for me over the past few years but it’s probable that I’m just fortunate that the site I work with cares enough to do a good job, so far.

cb1111

JFC, that’s a debacle. Understandable why you feel that way. Getting ready to call my fleet insurance company to fill a chip and the safelite guy they send always does a good job. They’ve done well for me over the past few years but it’s probable that I’m just fortunate that the site I work with cares enough to do a good job, so far.
Yeah, it really comes down to the tech. We'll probably end up going with the shop that the dealer uses even if it ends up costing us a hundred or so more.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
for those with osram headlights who wired theirs to their fuse box, how did you route your passenger headlight wiring??? mine's kind of just zip tied to a few things up front and I dont like the way it looks. doesn't seem like theres enough slack on the wire to go the long way and put the wiring around the back near the air intake but I would much prefer that positioning yet the official instructions even recommend wiring to the fuse box and it does look like a much more oem and cleaner install that way. there is simply no elegant way for the passenger wire... I'd like to see some pix of peoples setups

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
What kind of clamp have you guys used for the fuel line to the HPFP? Swapping mine out and was going to re-use but I hear that's a bad idea. Have also heard the stock style clamp isn't great, though none of us seem to have a problem with them until modifying fueling?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
What kind of clamp have you guys used for the fuel line to the HPFP? Swapping mine out and was going to re-use but I hear that's a bad idea. Have also heard the stock style clamp isn't great, though none of us seem to have a problem with them until modifying fueling?
Yeah, my stock one kept popping off. Kind of unsettling when you're on it and the car just stops.

Put on one of the screwdriver type from the parts store & it's been fine.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Yeah, my stock one kept popping off. Kind of unsettling when you're on it and the car just stops.

Put on one of the screwdriver type from the parts store & it's been fine.
Yup…. This.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
picked up new iphone 14 and must have jacked something in setting it up, because when I connect to usb for apple carplay.....I start playing from amazon music and the volume ONLY plays from the fronts and it's SUPER low volume. Adjusting F/R is greyed out on car "sound".

Mind you.....worked perfectly before, so not an amazon music issue.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled Amazon music.....nada

I've "forget this car" through apple car play and reinstalled......nada.

Any smart folks that can help out?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
picked up new iphone 14 and must have jacked something in setting it up, because when I connect to usb for apple carplay.....I start playing from amazon music and the volume ONLY plays from the fronts and it's SUPER low volume. Adjusting F/R is greyed out on car "sound".

Mind you.....worked perfectly before, so not an amazon music issue.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled Amazon music.....nada

I've "forget this car" through apple car play and reinstalled......nada.

Any smart folks that can help out?
Not a smart folks, but what was your previous phone? Have you tried a new (genuine) cable? I know with cheap cables I would wind up having to replace them every couple months, bought one decent one and I haven't had any issues for a while now. I'd honestly doubt it's something wrong software side, but just to rule it out can you test with another music player/app?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Not a smart folks, but what was your previous phone? Have you tried a new (genuine) cable? I know with cheap cables I would wind up having to replace them every couple months, bought one decent one and I haven't had any issues for a while now. I'd honestly doubt it's something wrong software side, but just to rule it out can you test with another music player/app?
last phone was an SE2020 and the cable is an apple usb, but I'll try with another newer cable. it originally worked on this 14, and then 16.5 iOS came out and this crap

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Update. The sound that should be coming through the speakers like music, is only coming through the speakers that is used when you’re making a phone call. It’s incredibly weird.