GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

Update. The sound that should be coming through the speakers like music, is only coming through the speakers that is used when you’re making a phone call. It’s incredibly weird.
Ahhhh. Delete the phone from the car and the car from the phone. Move the phone well away from the car and reboot everything. Rebbot the phone twice and make sure that the car doesn't show up.

Check the car and make sure the phone (and any old phones) is/are gone. Reboot the headunit a couple of times. Phone still gone.

I have Android Auto - I think CarPlay is a native app, but does it need to be updated?

When you re-pair the phone, go slow and make sure the phone pairs with "phonecalls and media"

Tell us if that works

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Ahhhh. Delete the phone from the car and the car from the phone. Move the phone well away from the car and reboot everything. Rebbot the phone twice and make sure that the car doesn't show up.

Check the car and make sure the phone (and any old phones) is/are gone. Reboot the headunit a couple of times. Phone still gone.

I have Android Auto - I think CarPlay is a native app, but does it need to be updated?

When you re-pair the phone, go slow and make sure the phone pairs with "phonecalls and media"

Tell us if that works
Great advice. How do you reboot the OEM head unit?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Tell us if that works

Press and hold power button for 10 seconds.
Update

I rebooted the head unit twice after uninstalling my phone. I “forgot” my car from CarPlay and rebooted my phone twice. Tried new Apple cable in my car.

Nada

I can listen to YouTube or a podcast and it comes through my stereo just fine from my phone.

But when I play music through Amazon music, it comes through the same speakers, as if you were talking with someone on the phone.

I guess next thing to try is some other music app, which I don’t have. I guess I’ll try the Spotify app and see if that changes anything.

Edit....I downloaded Spotify and it plays normally through the car speakers as music. SOMEHOW, the phone is sending Amazon music to the car as a phone call......weird

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Update

I rebooted the head unit twice after uninstalling my phone. I “forgot” my car from CarPlay and rebooted my phone twice. Tried new Apple cable in my car.

Nada

I can listen to YouTube or a podcast and it comes through my stereo just fine from my phone.

But when I play music through Amazon music, it comes through the same speakers, as if you were talking with someone on the phone.

I guess next thing to try is some other music app, which I don’t have. I guess I’ll try the Spotify app and see if that changes anything.
Unfortunately, this sounds like you're at the mercy of the Amazon Music devs :/ I have to imagine that you'll see an update semi-quickly. Do you have any pending software updates or anything?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Unfortunately, this sounds like you're at the mercy of the Amazon Music devs :/ I have to imagine that you'll see an update semi-quickly. Do you have any pending software updates or anything?
I uninstalled Amazon yesterday and reinstalled, so hopefully that would have brought in any updates, buuuuuuuuut I'll use my googlefu today and see what's up

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Update

Nada

Edit....I downloaded Spotify and it plays normally through the car speakers as music. SOMEHOW, the phone is sending Amazon music to the car as a phone call......weird

Sounds like your phone is sending you a message that you shouldn't be using Amazon Music anyway. Just use Spotify like a normal person 🤣

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Sounds like your phone is sending you a message that you shouldn't be using Amazon Music anyway. Just use Spotify like a normal person 🤣
soooooooooooooooooooo many playlists..........not gonna be happy

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Sounds like your phone is sending you a message that you shouldn't be using Amazon Music anyway. Just use Spotify like a normal person poor 🤣
streaming is trash, locally stored music library ftw. IIRC our whole library is somewhere around 4 years continuous? I'll have to check again when I'm home. But all of it is DRM-free, v0 mp3 that plays back on just about anything I could ever want.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
streaming is trash, locally stored music library ftw. IIRC our whole library is somewhere around 4 years continuous? I'll have to check again when I'm home. But all of it is DRM-free, v0 mp3 that plays back on just about anything I could ever want.

Nope. The convenience factor of not having to manage and keep a library updated is invaluable. Nearly all the music I want, whatever I want, whenever I want it, at the tip of my fingers? New music available the moment it is released? I'll take that over the small decline in quality, considering it's mostly played through a car stereo, not some audiophile setup.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Nope. The convenience factor of not having to manage and keep a library updated is invaluable. Nearly all the music I want, whatever I want, whenever I want it, at the tip of my fingers? New music available the moment it is released? I'll take that over the small decline in quality, considering it's mostly played through a car stereo, not some audiophile setup.
oh the quality isn't really my issue, v0 mp3 is ~250kbps average and uses compression -- I'm not made of money, so FLAC is out. My thing is that if we look at Netflix as an example, content that can disappear at any time without any protest from me just makes me uneasy. With a decent system of backups I'm covered pretty well, if my arrangement winds up losing a ton of data then there was likely a nuclear event or one of those gnarly solar flare things. I do still pay a small fee for a streaming service, but it allows for downloads and usually gets new music the day of release.

I'm also a nerd and legitimately enjoy managing a library of various types of data 🤓