GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

audia3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 2.0T
Need help! Just received my OBD11. I'm a noob at data logging. What are the most useful items to log?

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
It's still an extremely high value option, turbo, bits and pieces and tune for an is38 would net out as more expensive for sure, just a bit of a bummer about the tuning- while the jb4 could tweak a base file a bit in one direction or another, and I *could* make a reflash part of the seasonal changeover, the timing depending upon a 93 octane or 100 octane map means I'd be leaving a bit on the table for sure.
Hm... so..... IS38 plus delivery method (edit- I mean an accessport), custom fuel tunes, dsg tunes and tip works out to $4635 CDN vs $2575 for APR turbo, tunes and tip plus my jb4.... Let's say the is38 and this APR bolt on option are equal... are the results of the custom tunes worth $2050 more? Tough to say yes.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Tested the R out today. Back in business!

0-60 At the track :
1653787999368.png

Couple test runs tonight (back to back)
1653788052665.png
1653788077831.png

I'll try to go back to the track this week. If I did the math right, should be sitting in the 7.3 range in the 1/8th (what I expected in the first place)
Also, finally got my boost gauge working, according to the boost gauge I'm hitting a max of 29.4 psi. The remarkable thing about this turbo no ones mentioned yet, is how low the EGTs stay after ripping on it. After doing launch control and getting up to 80 a few times, I look at my EGTs and i'm in the 1080's. With the IS38, i've gotten up to 1300's before with this kind of abuse.

Last edited:

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Need help! Just received my OBD11. I'm a noob at data logging. What are the most useful items to log?
I would log intake air temperature, engine rpm, throttle position, charge pressure actual, charge pressure specified at the very least.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Tested the R out today. Back in business!

0-60 At the track :
View attachment 250710

Couple test runs tonight (back to back)
View attachment 250711View attachment 250712.

I'll try to go back to the track this week. If I did the math right, should be sitting in the 7.3 range in the 1/8th (what I expected in the first place)
Also, finally got my boost gauge working, according to the boost gauge I'm hitting a max of 29.4 psi. The remarkable thing about this turbo no ones mentioned yet, is how low the EGTs stay after ripping on it. After doing launch control and getting up to 80 a few times, I look at my EGTs and i'm in the 1080's. With the IS38, i've gotten up to 1300's before with this kind of abuse.
That’s awesome. Pretty impressive too!

Johaan

Ready to race!
Been following this thread through the ups and downs. As a stocker GTI, seems I’m the target on the path, and it has a lot of value compared to pure software, but need to add the incidentals such as install, plugs, intercooler, and perhaps upgraded brakes since I’m an S (more go probably needs more stop) to get the true cost. I’m pretty solid mechanically, but a turbo is a little outside my comfort zone.

Overall see this as an interesting option but got a little time before I’m ready to pull the trigger. Want to pay down the note a bit more first… and decide what incremental mod to do next.

Glad we are finally getting data and road/track experience. Thanks, folks! Keep it coming!

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
Been following this thread through the ups and downs. As a stocker GTI, seems I’m the target on the path, and it has a lot of value compared to pure software, but need to add the incidentals such as install, plugs, intercooler, and perhaps upgraded brakes since I’m an S (more go probably needs more stop) to get the true cost. I’m pretty solid mechanically, but a turbo is a little outside my comfort zone.

Overall see this as an interesting option but got a little time before I’m ready to pull the trigger. Want to pay down the note a bit more first… and decide what incremental mod to do next.

Glad we are finally getting data and road/track experience. Thanks, folks! Keep it coming!
Intercooler is a must at any level of upgrade even stock gets terrible heat soak. Brakes I think a more aggressive pad would be sufficient. I did the Macan upgrade but that was more for bling factor than anything else. Really your biggest additional cost will be for manual guys with the cost of parts+labor for a clutch upgrade.

Johaan

Ready to race!
Intercooler is a must at any level of upgrade even stock gets terrible heat soak. Brakes I think a more aggressive pad would be sufficient. I did the Macan upgrade but that was more for bling factor than anything else. Really your biggest additional cost will be for manual guys with the cost of parts+labor for a clutch upgrade.
Thx. Yeah, realize intercooler is likely first in the upgrade path, just wasn’t sure it’s worth it on stock tune until ready to start killing the warranty - so bundled it together.

I’ve been happy with my EBC pads and slotted rotors so far, but not done any thing more than mountain runs. Wasn’t sure if they’d be good enough for that much HP on the baby S brakes.

DSG so no worries on clutch at least.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
@Diggs24 odd question for you as you're pretty well versed on BTs, corn, and the way of the Burger- would you personally be comfortable using a JB4 to dumb down a canned 100 octane tune for a tank of 94, 93, or 91 if needed? Is the timing gap so great that no amount of boost reduction could make it safe?

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Looks like someone posted some new video “evidence” from YouTube:
Audi S3 DTR6054 vs Coyote 5.0 Mustang, 40 Roll.

Anecdotally, earlier today I sent a Carerra Cabriolet with Carvana plates and what looked like a dealer tag to Gapplebee’s. Poor (delivery?) guy tried twice from 60-120ish and got buses put on each time. I don’t know what year it was but it must have been the lowest of the low specs because it was down right embarrassing.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
@Diggs24 odd question for you as you're pretty well versed on BTs, corn, and the way of the Burger- would you personally be comfortable using a JB4 to dumb down a canned 100 octane tune for a tank of 94, 93, or 91 if needed? Is the timing gap so great that no amount of boost reduction could make it safe?
I wouldn't use the JB4 at all.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I wouldn't use the JB4 at all.
Really? Not even for the typical stack a canned tune upwards? Darn. I just finally jumped aboard the corn train with a couple barrels of e98. Looking at either Maestro or Cobb or no ethanol, then. I guess I could run Supreme year round, but definitely not E30.

APR, why u no switchable tunez?

Last edited:

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Plenty of fantastic tuners out there for the Cobb platform and it only takes a minute to switch maps.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Looks like someone posted some new video “evidence” from YouTube:
Audi S3 DTR6054 vs Coyote 5.0 Mustang, 40 Roll.

Anecdotally, earlier today I sent a Carerra Cabriolet with Carvana plates and what looked like a dealer tag to Gapplebee’s. Poor (delivery?) guy tried twice from 60-120ish and got buses put on each time. I don’t know what year it was but it must have been the lowest of the low specs because it was down right embarrassing.
Should I have my gf drive my 5.0 and recreate the video with my R? For science?

Real talk, pretty impressive if he's turbo only. I feel like a A10 car would have given him a run for his money though, I gave my gf's dad a ride in the R the other day, he's used to big block chevys and things of that era. Totally blown away, 10/10 didn't expect what the R could do. He was more blown away how civil the car is around town in comparison.

Last edited: