GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Eqt tuners have been known to downplay competitors turbo offerings.

I don't want to clog up APRs thread with nonsense, but this is quite the false accusation.

Think about the implications of this from a business perspective. Many people are going to choose 3rd party turbos, so we either get paid for the tuning and deliver the best tune we possibly can, or we make ourselves look incompetent, upset customers and drive them elsewhere. We're a tuning company, getting outperformed on 3rd party hardware would be a losing business strategy.

The only reason Ed, Nick, or I won't push to the limits of the hardware is customer request. Both of the turbos you're implying we have under-tuned are units we sell. We're a dealer for both Garrett and APR, so members looking for the DTR6054, we're happy to help. Neither of these turbos are likely to cannibalize sales of the Vortex, so that makes under-tuning the 2260 and DTR6054 to push the Vortex even less logical. We're never going to under-tune any turbo, but if we were going to do it, it would make a lot more sense to pick models that are direct competition, not models that are likely to be supplemental sales. Even still, this terrible idea would ruin the company's reputation for tuning, and that's worth a lot more than selling a few extra Vortexs.

If you want to continue this conversation, you're welcome to do it via PM. It's not appropriate for me to pollute APR's thread, but i did want to address it.

-Matt

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
I don't want to clog up APRs thread with nonsense, but this is quite the false accusation.

Think about the implications of this from a business perspective. Many people are going to choose 3rd party turbos, so we either get paid for the tuning and deliver the best tune we possibly can, or we make ourselves look incompetent, upset customers and drive them elsewhere. We're a tuning company, getting outperformed on 3rd party hardware would be a losing business strategy.

The only reason Ed, Nick, or I won't push to the limits of the hardware is customer request. Both of the turbos you're implying we have under-tuned are units we sell. We're a dealer for both Garrett and APR, so members looking for the DTR6054, we're happy to help. Neither of these turbos are likely to cannibalize sales of the Vortex, so that makes under-tuning the 2260 and DTR6054 to push the Vortex even less logical. We're never going to under-tune any turbo, but if we were going to do it, it would make a lot more sense to pick models that are direct competition, not models that are likely to be supplemental sales. Even still, this terrible idea would ruin the company's reputation for tuning, and that's worth a lot more than selling a few extra Vortexs.

If you want to continue this conversation, you're welcome to do it via PM. It's not appropriate for me to pollute APR's thread, but i did want to address it.

-Matt
I meant downplay by you guys saying oh why get the pmax, tpc, tte,dtr6054, effr7153 or any other big turbo when the eqt hybrids will spool better and make more power than the rest. When that isn't necessarily the case. If someone asks about any other turbo you guys push the eqt hybrid over anything else. If someone speaks negatively about any eqt product on the main big turbo group https://www.facebook.com/groups/2639810116293460 or the main mk7 page https://www.facebook.com/groups/904340022918579 it gets deleted. TPC and other turbo manufacturers aren't lucky enough to have admins delete negative comments about their products. Not everyone wants an is38 hybrid with knockoff internals.

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Finally someone said it. I won't type it all out but anyone can read about the specific rules for replacing catalytic converters right on EPA website. Personally I think it sucks given the rules were written in the late 80's with little changes since and I'm sure there have been technology advances since. I do think it's interesting APR tried it, and showed it could be done, but CARB and EPA shot it down, definitely shows commitment to aftermarket performance by APR. We keep deluding ourselves thinking if I put a good catalytic converter on (GESI for example) all is good. Yes, you probably won't throw a CEL, you might even sneak by the inspection station that never actually looked to see if you have the OE cat(s), but it's never technically going to be legal. Just keep playing the game if you want, switching downpipes and so on, until you no longer can.

Side note, the other caveat to the 8years/80K miles for 1995 and newer vehicles..."a legitimate need for replacement has been established and appropriately documented". This is quoted from EPA documentation. EPA's stance is the catalytic converter is the single most important emmissions device on a vehicle and replacing a working cat is a no no

I find it fascinating that APR put R&D into cat 🐈 technology, even working with GESI to match or exceed the emissions performance of the factory downpipe and the people at the EPA/CARB just shrug their shoulders in the face of objective improvements.

Typical government efficiency, I can hear them now. "No can do APR, our hands are tied, we can't authorize the sale of this equipment. Dat's just da rules :("

audia3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 2.0T
Screenshot_20220527-192209.png

Ordered a Dragy so I could contribute to the community. OBD11 coming in a few days so I can gather more data. 1/4 coming June 16th.

0-60 Seems like it should be much lower. I understand that it's a "big" turbo so it shines above 60 mph. But for an AWD I was expecting lower. Thoughts?

Launch was at 3000 and TCU is shifting 200 RPM below expected. I'm sending APR data logs later so they can take a look. I'll up the launch RPM once the ECU update is ready.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
View attachment 250610
Ordered a Dragy so I could contribute to the community. OBD11 coming in a few days so I can gather more data. 1/4 coming June 16th.

0-60 Seems like it should be much lower. I understand that it's a "big" turbo so it shines above 60 mph. But for an AWD I was expecting lower. Thoughts?

Launch was at 3000 and TCU is shifting 200 RPM below expected. I'm sending APR data logs later so they can take a look. I'll up the launch RPM once the ECU update is ready.
Patry managed to get his 0-60 in 3.4 seconds with a launch at 3750, iirc. Thank you for contributing btw. All I can do is closely monitor this thread until I get my hands on a DTR myself. Any input is welcomed, for me at least lol.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
View attachment 250610

What was your 0-60 time before the dtr?

audia3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 2.0T

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Had a few beers, thinking about ordering a Dragy for science.
Ended up getting an unexpected work bonus, would cover DTR turbo and DSG tune, sell the AP and cover the install cost (or close to it). Wife bought in, what could go wrong?
One of us, one of us!

Honestly though, why do I feel like I’m the only one in this thread so far who is 100% satisfied with the DTR? Trying not to be too big a fan boy, but I have like zero complaints over here so far.

(My only previous “issue” was the TCU tune wasn’t shifting aggressively enough in sport-auto mode, but turns out I just wasn’t giving it enough throttle to push to redline before - it’s working fine)

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I find it fascinating that APR put R&D into cat 🐈 technology, even working with GESI to match or exceed the emissions performance of the factory downpipe and the people at the EPA/CARB just shrug their shoulders in the face of objective improvements.
Typical government efficiency, I can hear them now. "No can do APR, our hands are tied, we can't authorize the sale of this equipment. Dat's just da rules :("
Follow the money. CARB approval costs an exhorbitant sum. They aren’t offering merit badges for trying to do the right thing. I thaink EPA’s and CARB’s end goals are good but it’s a pay to play governmental beaurocracy for sure.
it’s a shame because rewarding tuners like APR for working in environmentally conscious tunes would encourage other tuners and customers to follow suit and result in cleaner air.

im sure there’s also a huge financial burden testing and validating any claims made.

Last edited: