GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
sidenote all this really makes me wanna get a dragy run of my fiero. i estimate it has a 15 second 0-60, top speed of 75 maybe.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
2021 GTI dyno’d at 373whp at 116-degrees F ambient with WG issues and throwing EPC light. Not sure where the owner is located or what tune.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
blowing the fan at the intake and not the intercooler lol

sounds like he DEFINITELY still has an aftermarket downpipe

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
No wonder this turbo is getting a bad rep, seems like lots of inexperienced people are installing them with weird issues getting bad results (including me with boost leaks..)

I wasn't going to because it'll be pretty warm today, but the gf convinced me to do it. Taking the R to the track for round two today. This time I'm not just going to hot lap it with 145 IAT's. I'm bringing ice, my E-leaf blower, and keeping the hood up and engine off until I'm up to run. If I don't run a 7.3 with it today I give up.

Found a cool shot of me running last week:
1654001889472.jpeg

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
LMAO wow everything about that is a cluster
Right? It’s like 3 asterisks next to it.

We’ve got guys running 14-second 1/4 miles on Dragy, blind corner FB street racers, janky-ass dyno videos with half-rate tuners… I hate to say it but I guess that’s to be expected with such a low barrier to entry for “400whp”.

I’m hitting the track this Friday night and will be posting some 1/4 mile times, no excuses, just numbers. Hopefully my buddy can come with to take a video.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Right? It’s like 3 asterisks next to it.

We’ve got guys running 14-second 1/4 miles on Dragy, blind corner FB street racers, janky-ass dyno videos with half-rate tuners… I hate to say it but I guess that’s to be expected with such a low barrier to entry for “400whp”.

I’m hitting the track this Friday night and will be posting some 1/4 mile times, no excuses, just numbers. Hopefully my buddy can come with to take a video.
Do yourself a favor and bring some ice to try and keep the car as cool as possible. The DTR setup seems to be pretty heat sensitive. You'll want to try and keep those IAT's below 100F best you can.

Last edited:

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Do yourself a favor and bring some ice to try and keep the car as cool as possible. The DTR setup seems to be very heat sensitive. Way more then I remember my IS38 being, that's for sure.
Makes me wonder why on the heat.

Optimistic that this turns out to be a nice budget turnkey upgrade from an is20 to an is38's general level (bonus if it's better) but this is looking a touch disheartening.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Makes me wonder why on the heat.

Optimistic that this turns out to be a nice budget turnkey upgrade from an is20 to an is38's general level (bonus if it's better) but this is looking a touch disheartening.
If you're driving around town, absolutely zero issues since everything has constant airflow. If you're waiting in a staging line at the track idling it heat soaks everything a LOT. Not uncommon for a turbo car at all.

Don't get me wrong, my stage 2 IS38 setup heat soaked too with the same intake temps, so instead of running the 7.79, I'll be sitting at 7.9, with a couple less mph. I just didn't expect everything to get this hot on a 60 degree day. My intake has a lot to do with it too. I don't think it prevents hot air coming in as well as the stocker did. I tried putting the stock intake back on this past week as an experiment but it no longer fits with the APR charge pipe. Eventually I think WMI just to cool intake temps will be the way to go.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
WMI seems beyond the scope of an OTS tune solution (a big selling feature of theis package compared to GT2260s and is38)

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
2021 GTI dyno’d at 373whp at 116-degrees F ambient with WG issues and throwing EPC light. Not sure where the owner is located or what tune.

Couple notes:

I would not dyno the car with wastegate issues and an EPC light on. I would make sure those items are fixed before doing power pulls.

I also wouldn't stand in front of the car. I also wouldn't put my body near the engine while it's running under load. I also wouldn't point the carpet at the top of the engine. Also, especially in 116F ambient conditions, I'd make sure the car was getting soem good airflow across the radiator and intercooler, and I wouldn't block either with my body. I also would do a dyno pull for more than 5 seconds, which means a taller gear (Our loaded runs are around 18 seconds long). All in all, this video just seems very dangerous should something go wrong (car jump off the dyno from straps failing, engine explode, pipes or other parts fly off under tremendous pressure, etc). Hate to sound like a dad. Just have seen bad things happen. Be careful.