GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ah then you've got more than me fo sho. Jake convinced me years ago to get that stubby impact......has paid off uncountless times

I need that cordless ratchet in my life

I got it tool only from Amazon for like $80 since I already had some batteries. It's super helpful.

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I don't remember if it was my old RX-7 or Mk5 Rabbit but it was sketchy enough that I've used a lift since then.

Understand. It's obviously not like the fronts where you can turn the wheel to get more access.

That said, years back I managed to do rears in a mk4 in my driveway with a jack, stands, and hand tools. I know some things have changed since then that probably have made the job harder. But I don't know exactly how much. I'll have a proper look at it this spring...gotta take the snows off anyway.

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Understand. It's obviously not like the fronts where you can turn the wheel to get more access.

That said, years back I managed to do rears in a mk4 in my driveway with a jack, stands, and hand tools. I know some things have changed since then that probably have made the job harder. But I don't know exactly how much. I'll have a proper look at it this spring...gotta take the snows off anyway.
I haven't done the brakes on the Mk7 yet but they're coming up as I just hit 49k and the fronts are looking thin. I had a Mk6 TDI (RIP) and I swear the rears were the exact same as the Mk5. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I haven't done the brakes on the Mk7 yet but they're coming up as I just hit 49k and the fronts are looking thin. I had a Mk6 TDI (RIP) and I swear the rears were the exact same as the Mk5. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

The fronts were cake. Straight forward, no surprises.

I’ve read a few horror type stories about the rears…but who knows.

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I just usually use my impact with a swivel or something! Been looking at the stubbys a lot though
8f93bfe2c2072496f48c96494673c0dd.jpg

The fronts were cake. Straight forward, no surprises.

I’ve read a few horror type stories about the rears…but who knows.
Get the service manuals off erWin, read them before the work to understand what needs to be done and follow along. It'll be a breeze; it all goes together in a logical way.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
I wanted to increase the suck factor, so I threw on a CTS TIP and intake. I'm sure Diggs will say "mission accomplished."

intake.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
jack-nicholson-nod.gif

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
View attachment 236082

Get the service manuals off erWin, read them before the work to understand what needs to be done and follow along. It'll be a breeze; it all goes together in a logical way.

Yeah, I’m aware of what needs to happen, have the appropriate brake tool, etc.

It’s just that the carrier bolts are in a tight spot…and with the car on stands, I can see how leverage might be a problem.

Be that as it may, I’d rather try to do them myself to limit potentially idiot “technicians” touching my car.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Dang tool went up in price. Snagged a Dewalt mini impact. Pairs well with my Chinese BS large impact.
I do like the size of that Red one

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Overheard from an older man at work: "Why do people keep passing me in the right lane. It's not safe and they're going to cause an accident."

I chimed in with "It sounds like you're going too slow in the left lane."

He replies: "Oh no I'm not. I'm going at least the speed limit."

I just rolled my eyes.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Overheard from an older man at work: "Why do people keep passing me in the right lane. It's not safe and they're going to cause an accident."

I chimed in with "It sounds like you're going too slow in the left lane."

He replies: "Oh no I'm not. I'm going at least the speed limit."

I just rolled my eyes.

He's the general public unfortunately. Way too many uninformed drivers sitting in the left lane when ROW (allegedly) uses it appropriately as a passing lane.

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Changed the oil today with the extractor for the first time. It was a little “wonky” at first, but probably more user error than the tool’s fault. Seemed to work fine, once my dumb ass figured out what to do.

Also pulled the RS7 plugs and replaced with Ruths. Dropped them in right out of the box, didn’t mess with the gap. (Come at me bro).

So far so good, runs mint!