GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Changed the oil today with the extractor for the first time. It was a little “wonky” at first, but probably more user error than the tool’s fault.
I did mine the first time cold, second time I let the car idle until oil temp registered on the dash. Second time went a whole lot easier.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Changed the oil today with the extractor for the first time. It was a little “wonky” at first, but probably more user error than the tool’s fault. Seemed to work fine, once my dumb ass figured out what to do.
What was wonky?

Pro-tip; cut the end of the tube at an angle so it sits flush at the bottom of the pan to suck the most out.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Overwhelming amount of work on one car has begun lol.

We need a Ford Lightning to haul all the parts/materials from Harry’s.

A139B0F4-62C8-4520-8A79-27DCD5471113.jpeg
9CC1F8D5-571C-4F6B-A189-3F03E322D5B9.jpeg
E5E5235F-E980-4A92-9144-11D8C2477568.jpeg
4D1073F4-22F8-4EC7-9B67-66310A7B5CDA.jpeg
1D8F330D-E71E-46ED-9940-2BD1624971C2.jpeg

draftgli

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
What was wonky?

Pro-tip; cut the end of the tube at an angle so it sits flush at the bottom of the pan to suck the most out.

It was initially pretty slow to pull oil. Come to find out that was user error. After i experimented a bit, the last couple liters came up way faster. One of those, “next time I’ll be able to do it twice as fast” kind of things.

Thanks for the pro tip, I’ll try that next time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You need the oil relatively up to temperature to get it to flow out of the little passages to completely drain.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Understand. It's obviously not like the fronts where you can turn the wheel to get more access.

That said, years back I managed to do rears in a mk4 in my driveway with a jack, stands, and hand tools. I know some things have changed since then that probably have made the job harder. But I don't know exactly how much. I'll have a proper look at it this spring...gotta take the snows off anyway.
Well, the highest torque value of a fastener on the Mk4 rears is like 60Nm, while the Mk7 (and Mk5 and Mk6) have those two triple-square bolts as 90Nm+90°. Tough to generate that much torque with the difficult access, but the breakaway torque to get them loosened is probably at least 50% more. So yeah - there are some differences. :)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well, the highest torque value of a fastener on the Mk4 rears is like 60Nm, while the Mk7 (and Mk5 and Mk6) have those two triple-square bolts as 90Nm+90°. Tough to generate that much torque with the difficult access, but the breakaway torque to get them loosened is probably at least 50% more. So yeah - there are some differences. :)

On QuickJack

On two post lift.

Having the correct tools matters more than how much room you give yourself to work.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
I installed the harmonic damper for the rear subframe. Took longer to pull the ramps out of the garage and back the car up than install the part. Very pleased with the results.