GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Altitude DBV2 - Denver

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Curious to see where you end up power wise. I'm in Denver too, my house is at 5900'. I plan to get EQT's E30 tune when my clutch starts to go and I have to upgrade it.

I will definitely keep you posted as well man! I don’t have monstrous goals for the car but if I can achieve 400whp, I would be extremely happy for a daily.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I really don't understand the point of a big laggy turbo and a stock fuel system.

Why deal with 550hp worth of lag to make 400hp worth of power?

A V2 Journal at 5000+ft is not exactly going to be responsive. You could have done an HPFP and an E50 tune on the stock IS38, made nearly the same power, saved $2K, and had a much more fun car.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Is DBV considered big turbo or more hybrid in y’all’s opinion?

With currently sticking to stock fueling, I wanted to add the turbo so I could achieve my actual goals of 400whp. Adding MPI(like I used to have on the S3) can come in the future whenever I am ready.

$1,710 shipped for a new V2 Journal, Coated and ported I thought was a steal so also hence the route.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
So, 2 cars ago I had an S3 with MPI(1300 injectors) from precision and a 450 walbro on the OEM IS38. It was a fantastic setup but I wanted the hybrid turbo too. Had a kid, got an A6 and didn’t like the larger boat. Now I’m back in an R.

This time around I switched things up and got the DBV2 but using stock fueling. I can run E30 with UM but it won’t be full fueling just larger turbo.
Hopefully you have deep pockets for the UM tune I got quoted 1850 for a tune for my dbv2 v2

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I really don't understand the point of a big laggy turbo and a stock fuel system.

Why deal with 550hp worth of lag to make 400hp worth of power?

A V2 Journal at 5000+ft is not exactly going to be responsive. You could have done an HPFP and an E50 tune on the stock IS38, made nearly the same power, saved $2K, and had a much more fun car.

In my case I wanted 425-450whp on pump 93 octane. I did not want to run a blend or race gas. The only way to hit that horsepower goal with pump gas is to go for a larger turbo. Sure I could push an IS38 to the limit on a blend and reach the same horsepower goals for less money, but I did not want to have to blend every tank of fuel I put in the car, I did not want to take a 15-20% hit in my MPGs, and I don't care to push a turbo close to it’s limits. I absolutely love my setup as it sits pump gas and all. Plus if I ever do decide I want to go with a blend or full E85 and shoot for 500whp I still have plenty of turbo left to do that. If I was already running a max effort IS38 I would have to upgrade turbos again for more power.

I really don't see the con here for a hybrid if you don't care about an increase in turbo lag. I don't. I've adjusted my driving style accordingly and the car drives just fine. The lag produced by the hybrid does not take any fun away from the car for me. The trade off for top end power is well worth what you lose on the bottom end in my opinion.

A freaking men. BTs on pump gas/stock fueling are stupid. Sorry, not even gonna sugar coat it.

Not everyone has access to ethanol or the desire to push an IS38 to the ragged edge of its capabilities. But I still wanted 425-450whp. BT was the only way to achieve those results on pump gas.

So you're saying if I want to run pump gas I’m just supposed to stay at 300-320whp levels?

I see the pros of Ethanol I really do but it's not something that everyone wants or has the ability to do. Sorry.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
In my case I wanted 425-450whp on pump 93 octane. I did not want to run a blend or race gas. The only way to hit that horsepower goal with pump gas is to go for a larger turbo. Sure I could push an IS38 to the limit on a blend and reach the same horsepower goals for less money, but I did not want to have to blend every tank of fuel I put in the car, I did not want to take a 15-20% hit in my MPGs, and I don't care to push a turbo close to it’s limits. I absolutely love my setup as it sits pump gas and all. Plus if I ever do decide I want to go with a blend or full E85 and shoot for 500whp I still have plenty of turbo left to do that. If I was already running a max effort IS38 I would have to upgrade turbos again for more power.

I really don't see the con here for a hybrid if you don't care about an increase in turbo lag. I don't. I've adjusted my driving style accordingly and the car drives just fine. The lag produced by the hybrid does not take any fun away from the car for me. The trade off for top end power is well worth what you lose on the bottom end in my opinion.

Not everyone has access to ethanol or the desire to push an IS38 to the ragged edge of its capabilities. But I still wanted 425-450whp. BT was the only way to achieve those results on pump gas.

So you're saying if I want to run pump gas I’m just supposed to stay at 300-320whp levels?

I see the pros of Ethanol I really do but it's not something that everyone wants or has the ability to do. Sorry.

none of your post applies. The OP is in Denver, there's an ethanol pump every 6 ft.

Also, you still need fueling mods to get the most out of a hybrid on 93.

Being limited to 93 by E access and limiting yourself to the stock fuel system are not the same limitation.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Sorry, "when you have ease of access to E85". Thought it was implied. My comment about sticking with stock fueling stands though. Anything that flows L450+ volumes of air needs fueling upgrades otherwise you are just neutering the turbo and introducing lag and not adding the top end power.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Sorry, "when you have ease of access to E85". Thought it was implied. My comment about sticking with stock fueling stands though. Anything that flows L450+ volumes of air needs fueling upgrades otherwise you are just neutering the turbo and introducing lag and not adding the top end power.

Yep. L450 is an entry level hybrid and I ran out of HPFP on pump gas with stock map/put sensors.

I'm not going to run my car lean to claim XYX whp on stock fuel system or play dyno games like some of the companies doing it.

Yeah our super turbo made 470whp on the stock fuel system and then the car runs a 10.7 60-130...fuck right off with that nonsense.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Also, we all run some sort of "hybrid" be it reusing stock housings and bigger wheels or new units with some sort of TD05/06 frankenstein wheel. Let's not kid ourselves that these are going to be bulletproof at the boost levels we need to push through them. If you have access to e then a little bit of e for timing and run less boost is a far more reliable route if you want to just run 400whp all day long.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
That sounds about right on my end too for my quote which has definitely been factored in.
Are you trying to make 400whp uncorrected or sae corrected? you said your old S3 made 376 or whatever, I assume you're talking corrected numbers?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Is DBV considered big turbo or more hybrid in y’all’s opinion?

With currently sticking to stock fueling, I wanted to add the turbo so I could achieve my actual goals of 400whp. Adding MPI(like I used to have on the S3) can come in the future whenever I am ready.

$1,710 shipped for a new V2 Journal, Coated and ported I thought was a steal so also hence the route.

It's a hybrid, but one of the bigger ones. They make good power, but the JB is not the most responsive unit at sea level, at elevation you should expect considerable lag.

You will achieve 400whp. Given the correction factor at altitude it takes a lot less fuel flow to make a given corrected power number so you should be able to go well above 400whp corrected on the stock fueling. Uncorrected I don't see it happening on pump gas but I could be wrong.

My only point was, if a given HP number is the goal, I would want to achieve that goal in the way that retains the best manners and is most cost effective. A turbo that can move a lot of air that you can't fuel is very underwhelming. All the drawbacks of a big power setup in lag and response, but without the actual power.