GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maestro DIY Tuning Help

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Ahhh, Thanks for that tip. Question - Would my differences between MPI and DI lamda tables alter that, or compare WOT only? I assume WOT would us the "Full load lamda" table?

BTW when I said disable, I meant in the tune. Don't just pull the fuse or something you'll end up horribly lean.

The regular Airmass vs DI and MPI tables definitely can effect the fueling you see at WOT.

There are many instances where the ECU does not immediately transition to the full load table even when under full load, particularly on stock turbo/IS38 cars. For whatever reason I don't see it a whole lot on big turbo cars. This is how you end up with 14.7:1 AFR @5500rpm under WOT on the ED base maps...one of the many things I address in custom tunes.

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
You ever get more info on these newer tables added? I have not found anything, quite frustrating.
Reference indicated engine torque high and low flaps

Search the internet for this PDF
It explains in engineering terms table definitions and circuit diagrams for various components. It is a little more than 27k pages.

Attachments

• 842CB454-3EDD-4A87-8C6A-9846D0BA734C.jpeg
    842CB454-3EDD-4A87-8C6A-9846D0BA734C.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 190

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
You ever get more info on these newer tables added? I have not found anything, quite frustrating.
Reference indicated engine torque high and low flaps

The engine doc I found, that I am afraid to share due to copyright, doesnt so much tell you what a table is for. Instead, There are many functions that defined as using data from a given table.

Those two tables 'reference indicated torque' and 'engine torque flaps' appear to be related in operation and have something to do with cam timing.

"This module delivers the reference indicated engine torque TQI_REF, basic indicated engine torque TQI_BAS
and other basic torque values for the torque model in homogeneous combustion mode.
In order to meet the requirements of a system configuration with Variable Valve Lift (VVL), TQI_REF is also
calculated simultaneously for each Intake Bank and each position of the Variable Valve Lift Actuator (TQI_REF_
CBK_SEL)"

Under fair, use I think we can get away with this...

70.1.1 (TQM) Setpoint ignition angle
In homogeneous combustion mode (LV_HOM_RUN = 1), this module delivers the output IGA_DIF_TQ_REQ. The
output IGA_DIF_TQ_REQ represents the ignition retard with reference to IGA_REF_COR that is necessary to
generate the indicated engine
torque TQI_SP. IGA_DIF_TQ_REQ is a function of the ignition angle efficiency setpoint EFF_IGA_SP, which, in turn,
is calculated out of the Reference Indicated Torque TQI_REF and the actual efficiencies EFF_SCC_AV, EFF_EGR_
HOM, EFF_TQI_COR_CUS, and EFF_LAMB_AV.

70.1.3 Reference and Basic Torque
This module delivers the reference indicated engine torque TQI_REF, basic indicated engine torque TQI_BAS
and other basic torque values for the torque model in homogeneous combustion mode.

General Information
In homogeneous combustion mode (LV_HOM_RUN = 1), this module delivers the output IGA_DIF_TQ_REQ_
CBK_SEL. The Intake bank and VVL-position selective output IGA_DIF_TQ_REQ_CBK_SEL represents the ignition
retard with reference to IGA_REF_COR_CBK_SEL that is necessary to generate the indicated engine torque
TQI_SP_CBK_SEL. IGA_DIF_TQ_REQ_CBK_SEL is a function of the ignition angle efficiency setpoint EFF_IGA_SP_
CBK_SEL, which, in turn, is calculated out of the Reference Indicated Torque TQI_REF_CBK_SEL and the actual
efficiencies EFF_SCC_AV, EFF_EGR_HOM, and EFF_LAMB_AV.
During certain driving or operating modes (e.g. Economy Mode ), the ignition intervention will be disabled by
the Dynamic Torque Manager (i.e. LV_TQ_IGA_ACT = 0). In that case, IGA_DIF_TQ_REQ_CBK_SEL will be set to a
passive value of 95.625 °Crk, resulting in a final ignition angle setpoint equal to IGA_BAS_COR_CBK_SEL.
In order to smooth the ignition angle setpoint behavior during transitions out of PUC, the efficiency EFF_SCC_
AV might be replaced by a passive value of 1. This option can be chosen by the calibration switch LC_EFF_
MOD_SCC (=0).
In order to meet the requirements of a system configuration with Variable Valve Lift (VVL), IGA_DIF_TQ_REQ_
CBK_SEL and EFF_IGA_SP_CBK_SEL are calculated simultaneously for each Intake Bank and each position of
the Variable Valve Lift Actuator..
The torque setpoint TQI_SP_IGA is converted into a Bank/VVL position selective Setpoint TQI_SP_CBK_SEL to
account for the impact of the different torque loss contributions and for possbile setpoint limitations.

There are a number of pages that refer to 'reference indicated torque'
There are a number of diagram I tried to include but the site is lame and wont let me upload images that are not tiny.

Hope this helps.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
What are you all using for flashing and logging? My little Lenovo laptop I've been using had a run in with a lot of salt water. I have other computers for map editing, but I know some of you use cheap tablets for logging and flashing. Please share! Thanks.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYZEPGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems like both this one and the one diggs linked is not really sold anymore. IIRC it was sub $200 so for that price I can't complain one bit. The only LIMFAC is one USB port, so you can't plug it in while flashing etc. Maybe a USB hub would fix that, not sure.

Tablet is great for logging so I can just set it on my lap and touchscreen makes it easy to hit 1 or 2 buttons and done.

If not that look for a small windows tablet or small laptop....all depends on your preferences and price range etc.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Something like the Lenovo x250 would be a good fit for it's intended use of logging and flashing. Plenty fast with a SSD and built to take a few slaps. Can be found on eBay for well under $500 too :cool:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The x250 is what took a bath in some salt water today. I'm going to see if I can find one of the previously mentioned tablets used. If not, I may just get a lower spec x250 to replace the one I had. :rolleyes:

Something like the Lenovo x250 would be a good fit for it's intended use of logging and flashing. Plenty fast with a SSD and built to take a few slaps. Can be found on eBay for well under $500 too :cool:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
The x250 is what took a bath in some salt water today. I'm going to see if I can find one of the previously mentioned tablets used. If not, I may just get a lower spec x250 to replace the one I had. :rolleyes:

If you're looking for a tablet form factor, look at the Surface 3. Even though it has a Intel atom CPU, it's actually a pretty peppy tablet! :cool:

The best part is that the surface 3 can be found for well under $300 on Amazon and eBay.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
If you're looking for a tablet form factor, look at the Surface 3. Even though it has a Intel atom CPU, it's actually a pretty peppy tablet! :cool:

The best part is that the surface 3 can be found for well under $300 on Amazon and eBay.
The surface 3 looks like a great choice! Thanks!

rotaryguy

Passed Driver's Ed
BTW when I said disable, I meant in the tune. Don't just pull the fuse or something you'll end up horribly lean.

The regular Airmass vs DI and MPI tables definitely can effect the fueling you see at WOT.

There are many instances where the ECU does not immediately transition to the full load table even when under full load, particularly on stock turbo/IS38 cars. For whatever reason I don't see it a whole lot on big turbo cars. This is how you end up with 14.7:1 AFR @5500rpm under WOT on the ED base maps...one of the many things I address in custom tunes.

Got it, change the minimum torque values in the mpi table to prevent them from firing.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
What is everyone's workflow for tuning? I'd like to know what works for you guys from logging to map editing. Hoping to learn some best practices that work well for you all. Thanks in advance!

MadMen

Ready to race!
I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out the ridiculous KR I constantly get with this car. No matter how little boost or timing I try to run, I still get a good bit of KR. Different gas stations, E contents, and so on. Different plugs, coils, and so on. Nothing seems to cure it.

Yes, I know it's a bit more common on the S3, but surely others aren't having the issues I'm having. I can't run more than 7* timing - and even at that, I'm getting significant KR.

Seriously at the point of just going the route of putting as much stock parts back on it and get rid of this thing.

This log is with E57 in the tank. No faster than running 93 octane when I dragy, due to the KR pulling all the timing.

https://datazap.me/u/madtoy/s2-1b?log=0&data=1-19-20-21-22&zoom=23-81&mark=79-62