GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is your brake wear?

So I started wondering, how is everyone's brakes doing? Let's see if we can get a concensus on how long they generally last.

Of course it's dependent on your driving style and whether you have the performance breaks or standard, but it could still give us an idea when to expect to replace brakes. So answer the following about your GTI....

Year:
Number of Doors:
Performance or Standard Brakes:
Current Mileage:
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet:

How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it, or how good in general if you bought used?

Feel free to add any other feedback.

Note:This post only applies to OEM brakes.

Last edited:
For my previous GTI I just traded in...

Year: 2016
Number of Doors: 4
Performance or Standard Brakes: Standard
Current Mileage: 35,240
Have you replaced brake pads or rotors yet: No

How is your brake performance compared to when you first got it?
Slightly less

For my current GTI....

Year: 2017
Performance or Standard Brakes: Performance
Current Mileage: ~ 21,800
Have you replaced brake pads or rotors yet: No

How is your brake performance compared to when you first got it?
Hard to say since I only had it for about 500 miles, but these brakes are a big difference from the standard. They seem to have a lot of wear left on them. Although I have noticed these brakes a lot more dusty on the calibers and rims than the standard brakes.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Year: 2016 GTI S
Number of Doors: 2
Performance or Standard Brakes: standard
Current Mileage: 35k miles
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet: no
How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it? Same, slightly less, significantly less.: Maybe slightly less but it's hard to really say for sure.

I had fluid flushed at 30k miles, which did slightly change the brake feel. Seemed to make the engagement slightly more progressive.

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
2015 se,6spd.man. pp. 54k. Brakes work fine, rotors worn, plenty of meat on the pads. Probably change rotors and pads around 60k anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Year: 2016 GTI S
Performance or Standard Brakes: Standard
Current Mileage: 52,725
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet: No

How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it, or how good in general if you bought used? Bought used and has decent stopping power; slightly less from when I bought it back in June 2017. I'm about to replace the pads with Ferodo pads, brake fluid with Motul RBF 600, and the front lines with USP stainless steel lines.

Last edited:
2015 se,6spd.man. pp. 54k. Brakes work fine, rotors worn, plenty of meat on the pads. Probably change rotors and pads around 60k anyway

Glad to hear from someone over 50k miles with the original performance brakes. If I can get to 55-60k miles with most the performance still left on my brakes I will be very happy. I was a bit worried they would wear faster being performance brakes.

My father has a 2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual with over 160k miles on it and all he has done it's replaced the rear break pads and rotors. He still has the original fronts.

I drove it a few months ago and it breaks fine and with no noise. He does drive it easy, but still I was surprised how long his rears lasted over 110k miles and fronts still going.

ccbird

Ready to race!
Year: 2016 Golf R
Performance or Standard Brakes: standard on the R (performance?)
Current Mileage: 53,500

How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it, or how good in general if you bought used? Still grabs pretty good, maybe a slight decrease in bite, but no noticeable difference.

Side note, I am in the snow belt, so we tend to wear even faster due to the rust on the rotors, but holding strong and hope to get to spring before needing to replace.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Year: 2015
Number of Doors: Four
Performance or Standard Brakes: PP all the way
Current Mileage: 59,000 miles
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet: Change pads, discs, brake lines and brake oil at 52,000. Front pads close to VW recommended change point. Rears still had life. At 52,000 brakes still felt like new.

Change the above parts except pads for no other reason than I wanted to. My fun car.

Slotted disc brakes are a little different. If a do over I would get smooth.
You can feel slots passing under pads in hard braking. Not bad just different.

Last edited:

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Year:2015
Number of Doors:4
Performance or Standard Brakes:pP
Current Mileage:36000
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet: Yes due to overheating stock pads and cracking the friction material off in spots. Both inner pads had large cracks down the center of the friction surface. Rotors although still being in spec showed grooves about a 1/32nd an inch deep in some places. Could be resurfaced and reused however. Replaced with EBC Red and duralast rotors. Rears show no real wear anywhere close to the fronts. XDS+ turned to weak.

How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it, or how good in general if you bought used?

I have stainless hoses and different friction material. Still extremely touchy but I am very used to it.

Sandbagger1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Year: 2017 Sport
Performance or Standard Brakes: PP
Current Mileage: 43k

How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it, or how good in general if you bought used? The brakes perform as well as the 1st day I drove it off the dealer's showroom floor

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Year: 2016
Number of Doors:four
Performance or Standard Brakes:non PP
Current Mileage: 66,500
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet:no

They’ve been consistent, I can definitely tell lately the effects of being overdue for a fluid flush/replacement.

I’m generally pretty easy on brakes, no track events and limited good backroads in my area. I will be upgrading when these finally wear out, no way these would hold up to track as they fade after 1/4 mile passes at Zmax

nabwong

Passed Driver's Ed
Year: 2017 Sport
Performance or Standard Brakes: PP
Current Mileage: 43k

How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it, or how good in general if you bought used? The brakes perform as well as the 1st day I drove it off the dealer's showroom floor

wow. I have a 2017 sport and I only have 10k miles. Brakes still good :D