GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is your brake wear?

Year: 2017 Sport
Number of Doors: 4
Performance or Standard Brakes: PP
Current Mileage: 43k
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet: no

How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it, or how good in general if you bought used? The brakes perform as well as the 1st day I drove it off the dealer's showroom floor

Good to hear from another 2017 Sport! Glad these PP brakes are holding up a long time in most cases!

Year: 2016
Number of Doors:four
Performance or Standard Brakes:non PP
Current Mileage: 66,500
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet:no

How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it, or how good in general if you bought used?

They’ve been consistent, I can definitely tell lately the effects of being overdue for a fluid flush/replacement.

I’m generally pretty easy on brakes, no track events and limited good backroads in my area. I will be upgrading when these finally wear out, no way these would hold up to track as they fade after 1/4 mile passes at Zmax

Whoa!!! Over 30k miles a year? You must drive for work? Anyways that's pretty impressive for them to still have wear left with that many miles.

Update this thread when you take it into the shop for a brake flush. Let us know if you needed brakes or if they said they were still okay.

Silviu

Year:2016
Number of Doors:4
Performance or Standard Brakes:Standard
Current Mileage:21.000 miles
Life left:85% left on pads according to VW

Pamwith2ms

Passed Driver's Ed
Year:2017

Number of Doors:4

Performance or Standard Brakes:Standard

Current Mileage:23.000 miles

Bought used so dont know history but I've lost them twice. For a stock brake very surprised how hard they csn be pushed. But like a lithium battery, when they are done, they are done. Anyway, no worse for the beating they have had last 7k miles. Still stop smooth and the pedal is still firm whcih really surprised me. They are a little weak over 90 and it takes some effort to haul it in but for what they are, impressed.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Year: 2015
Number of Doors: Four
Performance or Standard Brakes: Standard
Current Mileage: 39k
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet: replaced pads and rotors due to warpage @ 20k

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG
Year: 2016
Number of Doors: Four
Current Mileage: 26k
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet:No, 8mm left on the rears, 18 on the fronts

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Number of Doors: 5

STOCK BRAKES
Miles Run: 84,332 miles (with another 10K at least in them, ~5mm left)

PERFORMANCE BRAKES: EBC Reds and StopTech Slotted Rotors
Miles Run: 6,334

Current Mileage: 90,666

How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it, or how good in general if you bought used? Super grippy compared to stock, seems to grab evenly throughout the braking process, whereas before it would "pulse". Need stickier tires to be able to stop any faster.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Year: 2017
Current Mileage: 45,600
Have you replaced brake pads or rotors yet: No

I have 8mm left on the front and 7mm left on the rear. What do the standard brakes start at in terms of thickness? Trying to determine % left.... replace at 2mm?

Albee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Year: 2017 GTI
Performance or Standard Brakes: PP
Current Mileage: 38000
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet: no

How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it, or how good in general if you bought used? Just got home from a 3500 mile trip, brakes are shuddering when stopping from highway speed. It looks like the pads have alot of life left, have ordered stoptech smooth rotors and centric posiquiet pads. Hoping for similar performance and less dust

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I run iSweep pads on my Golf-R (front only).. good braking performance as stock if not better and almost zero dust even after two 2 hours drives. Quite amazed at how little it dusts keeping my BBS very clean. Very pleased.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Year: 2015 GTI
Current Mileage: 44,084
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet: No

How's your brake performance compared to when you first got it, or how good in general if you bought used?
Pretty much exactly the same as when I originally purchased it. I did have the fluid flushed for the first time a bit late per the manual at 4 years, but have it scheduled every 2 years going forward for as long as I own it.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Interesting thread timing as I was just thinking about this this morning.

Number of Doors: 2
Current Mileage: 59XXX
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet: NO!

They still feel pretty good! I am pretty easy on them though, and do a lot of engine braking which helps.
I do think I'm getting close though. Not sure how much life is left on discs/pads but I'm starting to get a bit of a shimmy on hard braking from higher speeds.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Year: 2017 Sport DSG
Performance or Standard Brakes: Performance
Current Mileage: 57000
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet: No (except for track days)

Performance is still very good. I swap out the front pads and rotors for track days, but put the originals back on for all normal driving and autocross. The fluid needs another flush (I do it a couple times a year) but otherwise they still work great for street use.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Year: 2015 S DSG
Current Mileage: 90,000
Have you replaced brake pads and/or rotors yet: No

Definitely not like the day the car was new, but also still very capable, and induced little to no vibration under hard, high-speed braking.

I traded the car in 3 months ago for a manual alltrack.

I was the second owner, and purchased it March 31st 2017 @ 15K miles, so I put 75K miles on it in exactly 3 years, so 25K a year. I have no reason to believe the pads had been replaced before I purchased the car, so we're talking 5 year old brake pads and rotors with 90K miles that were ready to keep and keep going.

I was DSG, did a lot of highway driving, and just generally didn't need to use my brakes that much due to the drivetrain lag from the DSG.

The alltrack is manual, and rolling on OEM all-seasons for now. It doesn't slow down at all when i let go of the gas, regardless of whether i'm in a low gear. 2nd gear gives me the same engine braking that 4th did in my DSG GTI. I know my brakes won't last nearly as long in this car.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Year: 2017
Current Mileage: 45,600
Have you replaced brake pads or rotors yet: No

I have 8mm left on the front and 7mm left on the rear. What do the standard brakes start at in terms of thickness? Trying to determine % left.... replace at 2mm?

I don't know the thickness of the OEM pads but new pads are generally 11-13 mm.