GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI DIY oil change

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the post. I haven't got my car yet but I've been wondering about this. The plastic pan originally made me think maybe I should look into Fumito Valve or something like that to avoid stripping the pan, but from this it looks like it might not be necessary.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Looking at this I really like the cartridge filter. I have a Fumoto valve from my MK6 GTI, but it appears it has traditional threads that are entirely different from this new helical plastic drain plug. Too bad, it made changing oil a process where not a drop was spilled.

BJJGTI

Ready to race!
Thanks for posting! Sadly, I don't think my dealer is changing out the plug with each oil change. I called today to get a price and availability and she first tried to tell me it's not plastic, then she says, "I don't think I've handed one of these out yet." They have at least changed the oil once in my car. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence if these are single use and the dealer isn't following that. To be expected, I guess...

Perhaps because they are extracting from the top?

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Easy enough to make with a vacuum cleaner, couple of lengths of poly tubing, polymer sealant and a 20 ltr container.

vertigo12369

Passed Driver's Ed
So I just changed the oil for the first time and here are my thoughts.

Definitely well designed in terms of spills. Didn't spill any oil or cover my hands and that is unheard of for me for the first time on a car.

<rant>
The plastic plug on the other hand...maybe it's because I have a PP (pan and area by the pan was hot and there is a LSD back there), but that sucker did not come out without stripping the head. I experimented with a couple different screwdriver sizes with the new plug before trying to remove the old one. Had an "oh, crap I'm going to have to flatbed this thing to the dealer" moment before the old plug turned free. I would also say that might be easier with a 90 degree driver as there isn't a ton of room behind the pan for a screwdriver. Seems like a tool that would engage the round slots and the opening would make removal easier by distributing the torque more evenly across the plug.
</rant>

Oil filter housing was super easy. Same low profile socket as my Saab.

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
I know I'm probably missing something obvious, but how does one remove the filter from the housing? Does one just yank it out? Mine is in tight and spins in the housing but doesn't seem to screw out. I don't want to just yank it out by force and risk damaging the plastic dowel before I get some input.

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
It goes inside the filter housing like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, what it that little round black piece in the third picture?

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
Since this touches on the topic of "First Oil Change"... is it recommended to change oil at the end of break in period vs later on? Throughout all the cars we've had, I've always done this (needed or not) because to me the idea of "break in" mean metal fragments in the oil.

Along the fragments topic... does anyone offer a magnetic replacement oil drain plug?

Thank you.

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
Sorry if this has been pointed out, but where is the drain plug located?
I can't for the life of me find it.