GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I modified my key fob to fit in my wallet (keyless entry, push to start)

ridestp

Because my 2016 Golf R has keyless entry and push to start, my key fob never comes out of my pocket when I leave the house. That, combined with the fact that I do not carry any other keys, led me to figure out how I could fit the guts of the fob into my wallet.

The first step was disassembly of the fob. After popping off the battery cover, there was a single screw. Once removed, the metal key ring came off, and also allowed the rounded side piece to come off as well. At this point, I had to resort to prying to get the fob apart. I am not sure how it was bonded together, but it was a little nerve wracking and took a solid 20 minutes of work to get it completely open. At this point, it will still go back together, but is not nearly as solid as it once was.

You can see that the circuit board is quite small when compared with the size of the fob. Minus the battery holder clips, it is 5.3mm thick at its thickest point. The end result is 5.9mm thick, meaning my case adds only 0.6mm.

I designed the case in Autodesk Fusion 360, used Repetier Host and Slic3r to manage the print, and printed on the Printrbot Simple Maker 2014 3D printer using PLA. After just a couple prototypes I ended up with the version I will be using.

You will notice one side of the case has a white square on it. That is the LED from the fob. It stands 1mm taller than any other part on that side of the circuit board, so by adding a hole and making the case 1mm thick, it is flush with the outside of the case, allows the LED to still function, and makes the case 1mm thinner than it would have been.

The end results in numbers: The fob weighs 62g, the wallet case is 20g. The fob is 16.39mm thick, the wallet case is 5.90mm thick. For comparison, 5 credit cards (at the raised numbers) are 6.31mm thick.

The obvious tradeoff is the lack of access to the buttons. However, I have never personally needed to use the buttons (though I know others would say it’s a must.) I know I could modify this to still make use of the buttons if I wanted to.

I just wanted to share my fun little weekend hackery!

A few pics. Link to full album: http://imgur.com/a/iwPPi

Completed, interior

Completed, bottom. You will notice the white square on it. That is the LED from the fob. It stands 1mm taller than any other part on that side of the circuit board, so by adding a hole and making the case 1mm thick, it is flush with the outside of the case, allows the LED to still function, and makes the case 1mm thinner than it would have been.

Completed, interior, with lid above

You can see here how the battery attaches - The metal tabs touch one side of the battery and the wire touches the bottom.

The wallet case is 5.90mm thick

The fob is 16.39mm thick

5 credit cards are 6.31mm thick at the numbers, for comparison

The wallet case weighs 20g

The fob weighs 62g

Mid-print

The circuit board. The battery clip is the tallest part, and was ultimately squashed down.

Link to full album: http://imgur.com/a/iwPPi

LJK

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty awesome! Still a bit too big for my wallet personally, but I like the idea. I would also want the buttons to work, just because I lock it from a distance sometimes.

ridestp

Pretty awesome! Still a bit too big for my wallet personally, but I like the idea. I would also want the buttons to work, just because I lock it from a distance sometimes.

Agreed, it is still a little on the husky side, but I can't do much to make it smaller. The case adds only 0.6mm to the thickness of the circuit board.

I might find a way to design the buttons to work next weekend...

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn
Maybe make a slot to fit the key blade in, so that if for some reason fob or car doesn't work electrically, you can still gain access mechanically without having to go back home to get the key? Other wise, bravo! This is awesome in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mondo

Ready to race!
I like the concept, but as a keyless version owner, nothing makes me feel quite as secure as having a key.. the wallet concept is great, but it's "not quite me"
Kudos on the innovation and great job on the conversion

Stevo_CT

Ready to race!
People that can turn an idea, and use innovation to create something as you have, amaze me.
Well done, I think the effort and end result is brilliant.

bennybmn

Ready to race!
Very. Nice.
If you made it solid instead of honeycomb, you could file/sand/taper the edges a little so it wouldn't be perfectly rectangular in profile, might make it seem less bulky in your pocket. Especially on the ends. Great use of a 3D printer for sure!
By the way, how does Fusion 360 compare to Inventor?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Vw can easily shrink the key to be a lot smaller, they just don't want to increase costs. The new Volvo key is really tiny