GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I modified my key fob to fit in my wallet (keyless entry, push to start)

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I've used a lot of CAD packages over the years, Inventor for the last 5, and I find aggravation daily :)

Fusion 360 is a young product but poised to be better than Inventor in just about every way. It's Achilles heel right now is its 2d sketch tools. I actually even prefer Fusion over SolidWorks after using Fusion for about a year, and SolidWorks for close to 15.

bennybmn

Ready to race!
Very cool. I'll have to play around with it. Solidworks is very user friendly I've always thought.

Back to the OP topic, button use for windows down would be super cool.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This.
What about just having an APP on phone so you can open keyless.
Will we need keys in the future?
If you had a battery back up to run keyless then it would open.
If car dead, could you plug you phone into socket on outside of car, us the phone battery to power the locks and open car.

Will we need a physical key much longer?
GTI only has 1 lock left.

You'll have the option for a passive chip implanted under your skin, that operates your car and your house. Eventually, your cell phone too.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
This is awesome. Props to you for having the balls to pull apart your key fob in the name of science! One of our vendors who prints carbon fiber just asked us to send a model of something we would like printed in their carbon material as a sample and I wish I had a file of this to send to them at the time. I love the idea suggested earlier (credit to who it was, I'm too lazy to go back a page and check) to integrate it into a cell phone case.

Do you have the dimensions for the PCB by any chance? I'd like to try my hand at designing something as well, maybe a phone case ;) but at the moment am not willing to pull my fob apart. We are getting new printers at work soon and this would be perfect to test them out

Nice work OP, and great conversation in this thread. I think this may be the first thread I've seen with no toxicity and just genuinely good back-and-forth ideas

Raegar

Ready to race!
I think when it comes to electric cars (obviously their processors are much more powerful and smarter to accommodate phone/watch "keys") this is certainly the direction I would assume they head.

As for traditional cars, most of the companies, seem to have a vendetta against smaller/slimmer keys

ODD

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome job ridestp! This was on my todo list as well, I just haven’t found the time to take it apart and cad it up. I too keep my fobs in my wallet. When I was in China several years ago I had our team sew me up a custom wallet with a space for the fobs. It worked well with Toyota and Nissan fobs, but the VW one is so thick it makes it comical. So I’ve wanted to slim this fob as well.

Great work, it looks nice and professional!

Last edited:

Jondar

Ready to race!
Wow, awesome job. I love version two. I also agree with Fed, in adding a slit for the key as leverage. Also, there is even enough room to add a spare battery.

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
In my experience, 3D printed ABS does not handle stress well so I'm not sure with that thin profile it would hold up to the twisting without some external reinforcement. Different materials would work nicely, maybe carbon fiber, Kevlar, or Ultem. The units that print those materials start to get very pricey though...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk