GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) Comprehensive Thread

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
ECS shows the 5QM-129-635 inlet as fitting only the 1.8T and non-R 2.0 turbo:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/adapter/5qm129635/

If you select the Golf R it says this part does NOT fit your vehicle...

Additionally ETKA shows not only different part numbers but very different dimensions for the two inlet o-rings, because the inlets have different diameters, at least at the o-ring...

I transferred the CTS piece from my is20 to the 38 when I swapped them keeping the same o ring. So is mine not correct? They were both a pita to get seated fwiw

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I transferred the CTS piece from my is20 to the 38 when I swapped them keeping the same o ring. So is mine not correct? They were both a pita to get seated fwiw
I did the same with mine, I tx the cts one I had on my is20 to the is38 and used same o-ring but I didn't have any issues with seating it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
I did the same with mine, I tx the cts one I had on my is20 to the is38 and used same o-ring but I didn't have any issues with seating it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Interesting they both took getting just the right amount of twisting and pushing for that o ring to drop in.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I spit on it and it slid right in [emoji16]
Also the part number for the cts is20 and is38 are the same pipe

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket TIP that's NOT made of aluminum, but plastic.

I'm not a big fan of metal pipes for intakes, strictly because of heat transfer from the hot engine bay to the intake air, especially aluminum.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket TIP that's NOT made of aluminum, but plastic.

I'm not a big fan of metal pipes for intakes, strictly because of heat transfer from the hot engine bay to the intake air, especially aluminum.

The amount of heat transfer that is going to take place will be trivial. I wouldn't worry about the material composition of that short length of pipe.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
FWIW, the only thing our piece shares in common is that they're both Turbo Inlet Elbows. Aside from that, it's not equivalent in any way, shape, or form. :D

More details to come upon full release.
Any dyno data?

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
FYI on the Unitronic inlet.

Excellent part that IMO should be looked at if thinking about the APR. This piece does not have an arm that can rattle loose.

One thing I do need to mention is the spacing between the DV and the inlet is extremely tight (IS38). My intake has a 6mm coupler and I am unable to get the coupler to fully seat with the clamp. It will seat without the clamp but it's a no go with. I had my local shop give it a try and I gave it a try and it won't go. I am going to grab another DV I have and measure it to the one on the turbo and see if there is a size difference.

I spoke with Unitronic and they have not seen this issue with any aftermarket couplers they have dealt with. It might be my specific combo is unique. I would not shy away from this part as it is very nice but thought I'd give you a heads up.

Update: I bought a 4mm coupler and it just barely squeezes by the DV.

Attachments

• IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG_2019.JPG
    IMG_2019.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
FYI on the Unitronic inlet.

Excellent part that IMO should be looked at if thinking about the APR. This piece does not have an arm that can rattle loose.

One thing I do need to mention is the spacing between the DV and the inlet is extremely tight (IS38). My intake has a 6mm coupler and I am unable to get the coupler to fully seat with the clamp. It will seat without the clamp but it's a no go with. I had my local shop give it a try and I gave it a try and it won't go. I am going to grab another DV I have and measure it to the one on the turbo and see if there is a size difference.

I spoke with Unitronic and they have not seen this issue with any aftermarket couplers they have dealt with. It might be my specific combo is unique. I would not shy away from this part as it is very nice but thought I'd give you a heads up.

Is that not the stock DV?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Solved two questions I have had with the tip. 1) Why does the pronged pcv not completely connect to the CTS (and copied) TIPS.
2) Why does the pronged pcv get stuck into the Apr tip.

As you can see in the photos the lip is not designed correctly on the cts. The APR pcv lip is more like the oem one the issue is it is much more pronounced due to the casting. I took the "bite" off a little bit with sandpaper. Hopefully that'll be enough to allow future removal.

Attachments

• IMG_20181018_213327.jpg
    IMG_20181018_213327.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 834
  • IMG_20181018_213237.jpg
    IMG_20181018_213237.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 777

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Was the PCV hose coming off the CTS? I tried pulling on the PCV hose on my CTS pipe and it's pretty tight on there.