GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) Comprehensive Thread

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
AMEN!

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Anyone here wanna sell me their stock Golf R (not GTI) inlet pipe?

I think I’ve seen you post before that the golf R and GTIs use different inlet pipes, but when I look online I see the same part number for both. Can you post a source that shows different part numbers for the turbo inlet?

Thanks!

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Sure,

Golf R:

https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/auto-...2-0l-l4-gas-engine/engine-cat/air-intake-scat

GTI (same inlet and o-ring part numbers as the 1.8T):

https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/auto-...2-0l-l4-gas-engine/engine-cat/air-intake-scat

At $48 for both the IS38 inlet and o-ring, I'll be buying it for my IS38 swap unless someone has a cheap used one they want to sell...

I think I’ve seen you post before that the golf R and GTIs use different inlet pipes, but when I look online I see the same part number for both. Can you post a source that shows different part numbers for the turbo inlet?

Thanks!

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Sure,

Golf R:

GTI (same inlet and o-ring part numbers as the 1.8T):

At $48 for both the IS38 inlet and o-ring, I'll be buying it for my IS38 swap unless someone has a cheap used one they want to sell...

Odd... The GTI part cost twice as much and the part number is the same with the exception of “-L” at the end of the R’s elbow. Both ECSTuning.com and shopdap.com show the GTI and R having the same part.

I would hope you could return it if they end up being identical. If you end up getting one, please keep us posted.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
GTI (same inlet and o-ring part numbers as the 1.8T)

Yet, at the Golf R link you provided...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
If you click that down arrow, you would see that it also fits the e-Golf. Which turbo does the E-Golf have and more importantly, are they also prone to failure?

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
I believe you're looking at the incorrect part, 5Q0-129-654-P? That part number is only for the hose which connects to the inlet and yes it's the same on the R as the GTI and 1.8T. However, the online illustrations depict it as containing the inlet and inlet o-ring which is an error. The 654P part number is only for that hose, not the inlet, as per ETKA.

Yet, at the Golf R link you provided...

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
ECS shows the 5QM-129-635 inlet as fitting only the 1.8T and non-R 2.0 turbo:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/adapter/5qm129635/

If you select the Golf R it says this part does NOT fit your vehicle...

Additionally ETKA shows not only different part numbers but very different dimensions for the two inlet o-rings, because the inlets have different diameters, at least at the o-ring...

Odd... The GTI part cost twice as much and the part number is the same with the exception of “-L” at the end of the R’s elbow. Both ECSTuning.com and shopdap.com show the GTI and R having the same part.

I would hope you could return it if they end up being identical. If you end up getting one, please keep us posted.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
ECS shows the 5QM-129-635 inlet as fitting only the 1.8T and non-R 2.0 turbo:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/adapter/5qm129635/

If you select the Golf R it says this part does NOT fit your vehicle...

Additionally ETKA shows not only different part numbers but very different dimensions for the two inlet o-rings, because the inlets have different diameters, at least at the o-ring...

Good catch. I was comparing the inlet hose which has a picture showing the elbow attached.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
And the thing is...they are all exactly the same size at the intake side and at the turbo side. So it's how they get there that matters. APR is the only one I know of that gradually tapers from one end to the other. CTS and the others have a very abrupt transition at the turbo end. I'm not a fan of APR by any means, but I do like this piece.

So they say. Size doesn't matter, it's how you us it ;)

And remember brothers, just put the TIP in. Lol

I did. Twice! It was loads of fun :D

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
Go APR or go home on this part. Unitronic has an equivalent piece coming out.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

FWIW, the only thing our piece shares in common is that they're both Turbo Inlet Elbows. Aside from that, it's not equivalent in any way, shape, or form. :D

More details to come upon full release.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
FWIW, the only thing our piece shares in common is that they're both Turbo Inlet Elbows. Aside from that, it's not equivalent in any way, shape, or form. :D

I'm waiting patiently :)

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
And the thing is...they are all exactly the same size at the intake side and at the turbo side. So it's how they get there that matters. APR is the only one I know of that gradually tapers from one end to the other. CTS and the others have a very abrupt transition at the turbo end. I'm not a fan of APR by any means, but I do like this piece.

The stock piece has a gradual taper, the same outlet, and same inlet size. :confused:

And the PCV bung won't pull out! :p

On a serious note, I have the CTS piece and am not thrilled with a venturi at the end of the pipe. The transition seems too abrupt and it's not even flush/centered on the pipe. You can feel a small lip in the transition.

I think it's the added volume that helps with tip-in response that the butt dyno feels. Replacing the accordion flex probably gives more HP by cleanining up the airflow efficiency. I just don't know if there's enough give to accommodate the engine movement

DoctorCat

Passed Driver's Ed

yeowza! I like the fact that you guys are actually doing some flow analysis on your pipe. a peek behind the curtain where the wizard is operating the levers! :cool: