GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
go back to is38 and enjoy car until it's time for a new car

That would REALLY mean I’ve wasted the last couple years though, building the engine, head, fueling for nothing. Can’t have that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion
That would REALLY mean I’ve wasted the last couple years though, building the engine, head, fueling for nothing. Can’t have that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but the last two years have been wasted on trying to fix everything... Get this thing on the track! I want to see some pics of that clubsport bumper racing through texas lol

or go TPC turbo!!!

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
The IMS turbos are too laggy for what I want. You basically have the IMS650, DBV2, and EQT turbos, capable of similar power, except the DBV2/EQT being like 500+RPM more responsive as far as I can tell.

Anyway, guess I never updated, huh? EFR is sold... sold it before I even had it off the car, worked out pretty well. DBV2 TBB turbo is bought along with his 3.5" downpipe and a turbosmart dual port BOV, which means I'll be selling my CTS BOV. DP/BOV come in tomorrow. Also will have his 3" velocity stack inlet. For the turbo, we're waiting on his new revision turbines to show up and then he's shipping one to me. Yesterday he told me we're about a week and a half out on that. So, with any amount of luck (which I don't have), I'll have a turbo by the end of the month. I'd like to rent a dyno for remote tuning and try to make it to a couple of track events in November (track season is long in Texas!).

I fully intend to dyno tune with Matt. Several locals went EQT and dyno tuned. I want to go to the same dyno and do the same, and we'll have some real nice comparisons of the two turbos (other than me having a ported head). This is a mustang dyno. One of the EQT guys made 560whp on a hot day with 67% humidity.

I will say that that same guy is on his 3rd EQT turbo due to the other 2 blowing up. Another local is on his 3rd as well. Another local is on his 4th (3! EQTs have blown up on him), and a guy in El Paso also on his 4th. That is 10 blown EQTs in the last few months in Texas alone. I blame the fragile IS38 CHRA, I hear Ed is blaming the suppliers.

That being said, Ed is absolutely going out of his way to take care of those guys... the guy that made 560whp says Ed sent him his own personal turbo off of his car, allegedly, lol. I'm guessing this is why it hasn't been brought up much that I've seen?

All this EQT info comes from people I know personally, btw, so I consider it valid and true. I personally know the guy that made 560 and one of the guys on his 4th turbo.

I haven't heard of any catastrophic failures with DBV2 turbos.

Anyway, I'll post some track stuff later. "New revision" OEM PCV definitely did not solve the oil surge issue for me at the track, lol. Got some great pics!

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Quebster, you definitely made the smart move by going to Dan and getting his turbo.

Good to hear, I hope you're right. He's been trying to get me on board with his turbo for a while now, but I wasn't too keen on going hybrid. I hope I'm wrong.

So yeah, PCV stuffs. Here's what I posted on the FB page: The new revision OEM PCV System (06K103495BL) did NOT solve the oil surge issue at track for me [emoji23] (For those that don't know, the infamous Mk7 oil surge issue is due to extremely heavy braking / cornering commonly found when tracking the car)

Results seem inconsistent. I had seen before in various threads that it did solve this issues for others which is why I wanted to try it after my VWR PCV plate couldn’t hold up to big turbo boost pressures. And at around $110 it was worth trying. As you can see it did not work for me however, lmao. The OEM PCV did handle high boost fine though, I had no other oil burn issues other than the infamous oil surge issue at track FWIW.

So, I will now only recommend the Spulen V2 catch can / PCV System as that has been proven to solve the oil surge issue and also hold up to big turbo power. Remember that unless you track your car, this does not apply to you. Run whatever you want. But if you track, the VWR and Spulen V2 systems are the only ones we have found to solve the oil surge issue (if you have had this issue and switched to something other than these two and it fixed it for you, please speak up, knowledge is power!). However, the VWR failed to hold up to big turbo power for me (and others). So do with that information what you will!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I will have my DBV2 TBB next week, possibly Monday. Planning to make it to a track day with some baes at Hallet around mid-November.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Dan has received his new-revision turbines. Plan still remains to ship the turbo Fri or Mon and have it Tues/Weds next week. In the meantime, I have ordered the Neuspeed discharge pipe w/o the TMD, which will fit Dan's TMD on the DBV2. Also ordered the Spulen V2 PCV plate by itself, and will use it with my VWR can.

Planning to do an HPDE at Hallet, OK, Nov 9th-10th. Have to get all tuned up before then.