GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Unofficial E85 Ethanol Thread

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I'm told by UM 3 gallons per tank of E85 we are good to go. I guess people are picking up 20-30whp? Does that sound right?

I know that I've seen where UM said it was ok for 3 gallons a few years ago but it seems like recently they have said no to add any e85 at all. I'm not sure what changed. Maybe it's that they don't don red/blue files anymore so it could be a change to their software.

I'm a Golf R FBO on 93oct and 28psi. I have the adjustable cable so I can make adjustments to boost and octane. I was hoping if I added a fuel gauge that I could adjust the octane when I reached up to e30...that was my question to them.

I recently sent an email to UM and they replied stating not to add e85 and that it could damage the engine. :confused:

I guess I would have to go to their Proflex...I just wanted to add some e85 to help in the warmer temps in NJ while at the track.

Also, does anyone that does have UM's Proflex have a gauge to read the ethanol content? I know UM taps into the ECM so you can read with VCDS or their user adjustable app but I'm wondering if anyone tapped into the wire from the ethanol sensor going to the ECM to add a gauge.

I'm not sure if tapping into that sensor wire would cause issues...

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I recently sent an email to UM and they replied stating not to add e85 and that it could damage the engine. :confused: ----> I guess I would have to go to their Proflex.....

I suppose that's their indirect intent/play here ;)

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Last conversation I had 2-3 gallons was not an issue.

I ran 2-3 gallons for 20k and the car liked it.

This is what I've heard from people running UM. I just want to make sure nothing has changed.

I suppose that's their indirect intent/play here ;)

Yeah...I'm sure. But maybe someone had a bad experience and it's just a CYA.

I read all 66 pages of this thread (over a few days) to get as much info as possible and it seems to be safe if you stay around e30.

I'm just hoping that e30 can help with these summer temps at the track.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
UM is probably worried about people going too high on E content and losing fuel pressure.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Question for those who have 2 separate maps for E85 and 91/93.
How low do you let the gas gauge get before switching to the E85 map or vice versa? I haven’t filled up on 91 since I got my R back from the shop. I was thinking that the best time to fill up is when the low fuel message pops up. Thoughts?? I only plan on using the 91 map for longer trips since I have multiple E85 stations near me. I’m lucky haha. I also have a flex fuel analyzer to read my ethanol content

Last edited:

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I found a way to join the corny club in Toronto area!! 205 for 30 Gals = buck 80 canuck a liter...., and we're probably looking at.... 250 miles a tank on e30? (normally get 450 kms/280 miles a tank of e10 94 octane)

Diggs says just under 2 bucks a gallon... this is $5.16 USDs per gallon. Sourcing it brings a bit of a markup for sure, but it's loads better than the 17.35 USD per gal for 5 gals of oxygenated corn at the vp racing station by the racetrack an hour and a half drive from home.

https://www.n54tuning.com/e85-fuel-15g-or-30g-drums-gta-area-only-free-delivery.html

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Question for those who have 2 separate maps for E85 and 91/93.
How low do you let the gas gauge get before switching to the E85 map or vice versa? I haven’t filled up on 91 since I got my R back from the shop. I was thinking that the best time to fill up is when the low fuel message pops up. Thoughts?? I only plan on using the 91 map for longer trips since I have multiple E85 stations near me. I’m lucky haha. I also have a flex fuel analyzer to read my ethanol content

How high Ethanol content was the car tuned for? If you are stock turbo you are probably not needing more than E60.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
How high Ethanol content was the car tuned for? If you are stock turbo you are probably not needing more than E60.

Why does it matter what the ethanol content was when it was tuned for E85? I’ve never heard of this. But if it matters I saw that the car had around E73 in it when I picked it up. Stock turbo with upgraded fuel pumps. The E85 station closet to me I have been able to get up to 83%. No issues with the higher E85 content.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Why does it matter what the ethanol content was when it was tuned for E85? I’ve never heard of this. But if it matters I saw that the car had around E73 in it when I picked it up. Stock turbo with upgraded fuel pumps. The E85 station closet to me I have been able to get up to 83%. No issues with the higher E85 content.

You have to ask your tuner but normally a tuner will make sure the car can be run within a spectrum. For example not needing more than E60 but have fueling for E90 meaning that you can run on any E85 fuel without having to worry about exact blend.

Optima

Ready to race!
Hey folks,

I've been reading through the first 20 or so pages of this thread.

I just want to verify that I can run ~E30 on my 2016 Golf R.

Current Mods: APR Stage 2 High Torque 93 with DSG Tune, Full AWE Turbo-Back Exhaust, APR Intercooler, VWR Intake + other little bits.

If I understand this correctly, I can pull up to an E85 Station on Empty and put in 3 Gallons of E85 and top the rest up with Premium (91 or 92 Octane here in Oregon) - and off I go.

Is that correct?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey folks,

I've been reading through the first 20 or so pages of this thread.

I just want to verify that I can run ~E30 on my 2016 Golf R.

Current Mods: APR Stage 2 High Torque 93 with DSG Tune, Full AWE Turbo-Back Exhaust, APR Intercooler, VWR Intake + other little bits.

If I understand this correctly, I can pull up to an E85 Station on Empty and put in 3 Gallons of E85 and top the rest up with Premium (91 or 92 Octane here in Oregon) - and off I go.

Is that correct?

That's correct but your car would run even better if it was tuned for E. The main benefit without being tuned would be if it's hot out the ECU won't pull as much timing since your octane rating will be higher.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
I know that I've seen where UM said it was ok for 3 gallons a few years ago but it seems like recently they have said no to add any e85 at all. I'm not sure what changed. Maybe it's that they don't don red/blue files anymore so it could be a change to their software.

I'm a Golf R FBO on 93oct and 28psi. I have the adjustable cable so I can make adjustments to boost and octane. I was hoping if I added a fuel gauge that I could adjust the octane when I reached up to e30...that was my question to them.

I recently sent an email to UM and they replied stating not to add e85 and that it could damage the engine. :confused:

I guess I would have to go to their Proflex...I just wanted to add some e85 to help in the warmer temps in NJ while at the track.

Also, does anyone that does have UM's Proflex have a gauge to read the ethanol content? I know UM taps into the ECM so you can read with VCDS or their user adjustable app but I'm wondering if anyone tapped into the wire from the ethanol sensor going to the ECM to add a gauge.

I'm not sure if tapping into that sensor wire would cause issues...

MiamiBourne my current setup.

Or you could get an aero force gauge, it can do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Apologies if this has been covered. What's the shelf life of e85? If I leave 5 gallons in a jug in the garage, how long is it good for?

Optima

Ready to race!
That's correct but your car would run even better if it was tuned for E. The main benefit without being tuned would be if it's hot out the ECU won't pull as much timing since your octane rating will be higher.

As soon as APR gets off their ass and makes an E85 tune (or even an E50 tune) - I'd be happy to get any supporting hardware and run it full-time.

The idea of shelling out another 1k to switch software brands just to run E is a hard pill to swallow.