GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who is seriously gonna buy a MK8 R?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
While I’d like a Mk8R I’ll probably live vicariously through my buddy TJ who’s planning on grabbing one to replace his 2019 GLI as a daily.

If he buys one I’ll use it to develop FMIC & TBE parts so there isn’t a void there like the Mk7R.

For 45k I’d rather kick off my ‘70 Cuda resto-mod dream project and continue to enjoy my poverty spec CSS clone Gti

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Gonna keep my 7.5 for a while lol...normally I keep my cars for 6 years anyway, but the R will probably be closer to 10 years. I've only had it for a year and a few months, so I won't be thinking of a new car for a long time.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Nope
Keeping my 7.5. No need to switch as I like it too much and it suits my needs perfectly. I might even start building a donor motor for down the road. If I am dealt a catastrophic loss, a built STI is where I’m headed.... back to AWD and offset headers

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Looks like its a split crowd. Kinda where I'm at. On the one hand, MK8 R seems to be a helluva car. I'm still rather meh on the interior (MK7 & 7.5 are fantastic IMHO) and I KNOW that dealers are gonna try to fetch top dollar for a while. On the other, plenty of really nice GTIs and Rs out there for way less money and I know what I would get with a MK 7(.5). Now if VW would stop treating the US like a syph bumpy whore and brought over the Clubsport.........

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Now if VW or Toyota would stop treating the US like a syph bumpy whore.........

Here here!

I would’ve sold/traded my R in for the GR Yaris had it come over this way.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
If you've already got an R and are happy with it, there's no reason to "upgrade" for what are really incremental changes. Unless you're driving around the city like a teenager and pushing the limits at every turn, maybe you'll get a bit of extra oomph out of the new one but for a normal daily driver, there's no reason to lose the depreciation on the old one just to pay more for a new one that's really not that different. Well, except for all the useless touch-enabled controls which suck.

I'm fine with my 2018 and see no reason to upgrade to another VW. Now if I could get an RS3 as a replacement, maybe. But even the newer Audis have some changes that are not as good as past years' models. So even "upgrading" to that might not be in the cards either.