GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who is seriously gonna buy a MK8 R?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Looks pretty good from what I have seen/read and may jump on board myself. But that will mainly depend on what they end up asking for them. >45K? Possibly. 45K+? Nope. Thats too rich for me in spite of what the new car brings. I am back in the hunt for a nice used GTI/GolfR after recent foray (don't ask :confused:). Don't like the looks of the 8 GTI, and while the R is appealing, would have have to save lots of pennies. Found a nice place on the fence for now.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I will have to see one in person to decide. I'm not really looking for added performance beyond my MK7 Golf-R, so it will all come down to exterior appearance and interior feel.

I'm not 100% sold on the exterior from the pictures and video.. and since I already have a 4 door hatch, unless it's a 3 door it does not really excite me. Will see..

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Looks pretty good from what I have seen/read and may jump on board myself. But that will mainly depend on what they end up asking for them. >45K? Possibly. 45K+? Nope. Thats too rich for me in spite of what the new car brings. I am back in the hunt for a nice used GTI/GolfR after recent foray (don't ask :confused:). Don't like the looks of the 8 GTI, and while the R is appealing, would have have to save lots of pennies. Found a nice place on the fence for now.

I'm going to ride my mk7.5 Rabbit until it starts to not like being tracked anyone, then decide between the Mk8 R and the next STI.

ck23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R (DSG) - Lapiz
I'm going to hold onto my MK7.5 for a bit and see what the car (MK8) actually looks like. At the end of the day, I personally feel that the MK7.5 is such a great looking car, have the color I want and have been doing some modding that really makes the car so much fun. Given that, not too motivated at this point.

Then there is the option of other cars, I have contemplated an RS3, M2 (competition or CS) or the new M3, but I just love the hatch so much. It's not a question of affording one of the mentioned cars, I just find so much value and practicality in the R's...hmm!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
After 3 VWs (Mk5 Rabbit, Mk7 GTI, Mk7 R) since 2009, next fun car will prolly be something else.

Why, just bored or did you have issues? I stopped buying VAGs in 2001 after a clutch nightmare in an A4 and 10 years of love hate relationship with a Corrado. Went to Subaru until 2008 which was a bad year due the STI. Moved to Porsche, too rich for my blood and what I do with cars, then a string of Miatas, got boring, now back to VW. I love Subarus, I just won't buy another EJ powered car and don't want a WRX or BRZ. I learned 02 that making a WRX into an STI makes no sense.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I think I posted this before, but might as well here too. Decided against it, only because it's not an upgrade to justify.
My likes are the seats, rear diff and I do miss having a sunroof.

Unfortunately that's where it ends. It's like trying to justify a MK7 to MK7.5 upgrade - it's too much of the same thing, where I would rather put the $10k+ loss in the 'upgrade' towards more fun within my current car. I can order nicer seats, along with a better rear diff, with plenty of cash to spare. Warranty is not an issue when you tune a car, so where does that leave things?

Is the MK8 better then the MK7/7.5. Yes, I think so, but a justifiable upgrade? No.

Personally I am waiting to see what Audi's move will be with the RS3 in 2022 (2023 when it arrives in North America?), but that is quite some time away! Literally, they just need to put in the rear diff and I am sold based off the A3/S3....however they need to be extremely careful on pricing, only because there are more desirable cars if they raise the price on the RS3, pretty quickly.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Why, just bored or did you have issues? I stopped buying VAGs in 2001 after a clutch nightmare in an A4 and 10 years of love hate relationship with a Corrado. Went to Subaru until 2008 which was a bad year due the STI. Moved to Porsche, too rich for my blood and what I do with cars, then a string of Miatas, got boring, now back to VW. I love Subarus, I just won't buy another EJ powered car and don't want a WRX or BRZ. I learned 02 that making a WRX into an STI makes no sense.

I love VW, don't get me wrong, but change could be good. I plan to keep my R for at least 10 years - bought it in 2017, so we'll see what 2027 brings. I'll be 45 then so my tastes will likely change.

I really want a Cayman T, but it could be too rich for my blood considering mine and my wife's future plans. But, I'll keep my mind open to what's available then.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I've thought about it, but I keep coming back to how much time and money I put into the gti so far. In reality, I've had a very long string of fun cars and I've learned a lot about how to make mistakes. The mk8r and gti really don't excite me like the mk5 and mk7 do. Maybe the mk9 will, but at that point my wife will likely want something more sporty and convertibly, and I'll likely take her Q7 off her hands as my trailering and utility vehicle.

I just can't see anyone buying the mk8r for the 45-50k they're going to ask for when you can get a barely molested rs3 for that kind of money, and that vehicle has tons more character and niceties.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I would love to move back to rwd, but no one seems to want to offer me a 3,000 pound, manual rwd car with four seats, so yeah, I'll likely get a Mk8 R. I didn't do the Mk7 or Mk7.5 R when I bought my two GTI's because they felt heavier and less fun, but knowing what this forum has taught me and seeing the delta in resale retention, I will almost certainly get a Mk8 R in the second year to take advantage of still having one year of warranty left on this car. I'd really prefer the Clubsport, but can't imagine VW USA will ever offer it to us.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I would love to move back to rwd, but no one seems to want to offer me a 3,000 pound, manual rwd car with four seats, so yeah, I'll likely get a Mk8 R. I didn't do the Mk7 or Mk7.5 R when I bought my two GTI's because they felt heavier and less fun, but knowing what this forum has taught me and seeing the delta in resale retention, I will almost certainly get a Mk8 R in the second year to take advantage of still having one year of warranty left on this car. I'd really prefer the Clubsport, but can't imagine VW USA will ever offer it to us.

Yeah, resale is where the R makes the GTI a bad proposition, but I still like the mk7 GTI better than the R.