GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whining Noise from Engine Bay

ShadowCatEXE

Car(s)
2021 CFB 6MT GTI
I should add that mine is a manual so ruling out the DSG whine
I actually just got back home from having a local (reputable) mechanic take a look. The mechanic mentioned the alternator is making some excessive noise, but is not an issue. He did some digging, and noticed there may be issues with the internals of my intake manifold. Both him and another tech used a stethoscope to come up with the same conclusion (in front of me).

I have no CEL, but I may bring it to VW to see if they can replace it under warranty. I can't say this is the culprit to the whining issue, and may be another I'm experiencing.

If they replace the manifold, I'll report back if it solves any issues or not.

ShadowCatEXE

Car(s)
2021 CFB 6MT GTI
Whirring from manifold? They do know the water pump is right underneath and has a high failure rate, yes? The oil pump could also be the issue.
I'm sure they were identifying a different issue with my manifold, not necessarily the whining issue.

GolfRHW

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R MT
I actually just got back home from having a local (reputable) mechanic take a look. The mechanic mentioned the alternator is making some excessive noise, but is not an issue. He did some digging, and noticed there may be issues with the internals of my intake manifold. Both him and another tech used a stethoscope to come up with the same conclusion (in front of me).

I have no CEL, but I may bring it to VW to see if they can replace it under warranty. I can't say this is the culprit to the whining issue, and may be another I'm experiencing.

If they replace the manifold, I'll report back if it solves any issues or not.
Thanks for the response. I think given your noise is the same as mine you and I will be working this through together! Am doing a full fluid change next week including oil and differentials etc and have just had the auxiliary pulley/tensioner changed (no change to noise) so will report back after that. Will also remove the heat shields at this time to see if that makes a difference.
Really doesn’t sound like this is supposed to be normal noise but if it is I guess I’ll have to live with it.
Thanks I’m advance.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I've had this issue since grabbing my car at 6k miles. Low RPM whining reminiscent of having an aftermarket stereo amp that wasn't grounded properly and gets louder with rpms during gears 1-3 from 1.5k-3k rpms. Took it to a dealer and they said it was normal so I let it go even though it's slightly annoying. Doubt it means your transmission is bad if I have it on a pretty much new car.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
How did you diagnose it was the belt tensioner before pulling and how much was the fix?

*edit* reason why I ask is the whining nosie for me increases/decreases when the fan is turned on or off.

Last edited:

CrayonAssassin

How did you diagnose it was the belt tensioner before pulling and how much was the fix?

*edit* reason why I ask is the whining nosie for me increases/decreases when the fan is turned on or off.
Not sure how my shop went about doing it, but mine got louder with the revs. So they probably undid the serpentine belt and gave it a few revs.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I have not unfortunately. It would be nice to not hear that wheeeee every time I rev but I figure that's just 'how they all are'. At least for the 2.0T.. my mom's Alltrack (1.8) is totally quiet. Which is a little weird because the tensioner seems to be the same part number - https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-belt-tensioner-06l903133d
Did you have you tensioner looked at or replaced? I wonder if there’s a slight variation in the part that causes some to be noisy like that. Sometimes the same part is made by multiple vendors. VW has told me it’s “normal” but I almost never hear it on other GTI’s 🤷‍♂️