GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whining Noise from Engine Bay

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Did you have you tensioner looked at or replaced? I wonder if there’s a slight variation in the part that causes some to be noisy like that. Sometimes the same part is made by multiple vendors. VW has told me it’s “normal” but I almost never hear it on other GTI’s 🤷‍♂️

Nope haven't done anything with it, yet. I definitely want to at some point though. Like you said maybe they're not all the same. In that video a few posts up, the guy shoots some compressed air inside the tensioner and it makes that funny noise. Is there something loose inside??

I do hear it in a lot of GTI exhaust videos on YouTube where they’re revving a lot and I notice the wheeeeeee in the background.

It’s only two bolts to remove so might not be too bad of a DIY.

Frbogdan23

Car(s)
Cupra 300 2017
I was really hoping that someone sorted out this issue, I own a Cupra 300 for 6-7 months now, I noticed the same annoying "whine sound" at higher rpm, above 2000-2500rpm it's noticeable, doesn't matter if it's in neutral or drive, I tried to go to a mechanic, they changed the belt tensioner and belt, nothing changed, tried to use the stetoscope, said that they believe its coming from camshaft if I remember correctly but they seemed like they're absolutely not sure about this, the car is running absolutely fine otherwise, the sound is still very very annoying.
Also changed the water pump so it's not this.
When I bought the car it had res delete(bypass) so I couldn't hear the whining noise, after I took out the res delete it became much quieter and I could hear everything, in the meantime I changed all fluids engine + dsg so I'm not sure if the sound was there before the oil change but I would say yes. Also, Mine currently has 150 000km and first reg date is 2018

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
@Frbogdan23 That stinks, I would think replacing the tensioner would fix it. One of these days I’m thinking of taking the belt off and seeing if the noise goes away. Do you know if your mechanic tried this? I would hope it’s not a camshaft problem 😬

Frbogdan23

Car(s)
Cupra 300 2017
T
@Frbogdan23 That stinks, I would think replacing the tensioner would fix it. One of these days I’m thinking of taking the belt off and seeing if the noise goes away. Do you know if your mechanic tried this? I would hope it’s not a camshaft problem 😬
He also took the belt out and the noise was still there.
I also have some issues when I turn on the car for few seconds it starts to shake a lil bit and the revs goes up and down until I push shortly on the gas pedal, I hope it's because of the 2 magnets, I'll replace them in the next days( I hope) and see if smth changes.
Regarding to that noise... I might ask other mechanics in the future but for now I don't want to stress too much on this...
For now I hope i don't have to replace the timing chain too soon ( bcs of the issue described above, and some "camshaft timing over advanced" errors )