GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mysterious 4th gear whine/hum

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I have recently started having this strange whine / hum noise.

I have a 2016 GTI autobahn 6speed with 24k kms so far. The last 2 months or so the car has developed a whine/hum noise.

While driving in 4th gear and holding the rpms at 2k is when the whine happens. It is throttle dependant and only whines when the throttle is applied. When I’m at 2k rpm I can apply the throttle and it whines, let go of the throttle and the whine stops. It also happens in 3rd gear slightly (I can make it whine in 3rd if I’m holding at the 2000-2050 rpm mark but the engine noise sort of drowns it out. But I’m 4th gear it is extremely noticeable.

Here is a video of mine, it’s easier to hear with headphones in, but in person the noise rings through the cabin and isn’t as quiet as the video sounds.

The car shifts and drives extremely smooth and I have no issues whatsoever besides the audible whining noise. I posted on a MK7 Facebook group and had a guy say he has a similar noise and posted a sound clip. It sounds identical and it’s in the same gear and rpm range.

Now I had the car at the local VW dealership to have this sound looked at. Long story short they told me it’s not an unusual sound and “their GTI on the lot makes the same noise” ( whether that’s true or not I’m not sure ). They told me to pickup the car and not worry about it until it gets louder and at that point bring it back in. I am tempted to try a dealer with a more reputable service department. They also said they found metal shavings in my transmission fluid but that it is normal as well.

It is very strange to me that this can be chalked up as “normal” because it’s mainly in only 4th gear (again, slightly in 3rd, nothing in 5th, and nothing in 6th) and at an exact RPM and it’s throttle dependant makes me think something needs fixed/replaced.

Any thoughts or tips on how to tackle this issue? I don’t want it to blow up once my warranty is over.

Cheers

Edit: Thought I would mention a few more things. My car is basically stock, it does have a CTS intake and AWE tuning track catback exhaust. Stock tune etc. Noise was there’s before the intake and exhaust and I also unplugged my soundakktor.

UPDATE - July 7 2023, the mysterious whine is GONE!! 4.5 years of this whine, it drove me sick every day.
The other day I changed my brake pads and rotors so I figured I should probably do a brake fluid flush...dropped it off at a shop and told them to do the clutch fluid too, fuck it.
Driving home and then to work on the highway, it didn't whine a single time. I am assuming this was something to do with the clutch fluid...I have no way of explaining this but I am sooooooooooo happy it has stopped.

Last edited:

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I get that too but for a dsg. I think VW just makes some chatty gearboxes

Somebody else made the same comment on FB about their DSG doing the same..

^Same noise, but DSG.

Really hey? It’s extremely annoying to me (partly because I’m obsessing over this noise and focusing on it). I can usually hear it over my music and since I usually cruise around 2k rpm I hear it virtually 24/7.

Have you guys noticed it gets louder when it’s colder outside? I’ve owned mine since May and haven’t noticed this noise until winter.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Pretty sure I have the same noise with my DSG. Always thought it was the turbo as it was speed dependent, never thought about the DSG. I heard it before the DSG tune and still hear it after. No drivability issues.

alerxovawo

Ready to race!
Normal. Mine makes the exact same noise at the exact same RPM. 6 speed manual. Does it in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd too. Its the gearbox, nothing to worry about

Geezer

Yep, MK7 GTI 6MT. Started noticing it around 30,000 miles, a little bit in 3rd, more in 4th ...2000-2250 RPM. It's not terribly loud, but puzzling.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
glad to know i'm not alone, i hear some whining in most of my 1-4 gears; only reason i don't hear it in 5th/6th is because at that point road noise takes over. I didn't notice it in my last mk7 but everything feels fine so not worried about it

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Mine does it too.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Only in 5th for me but I'm rarely in 5th. I kinda like the sound.

ToniPeja

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Vw mk7 1.6 TDI
Hi there, I’m aware that this post is old one but the issue stated here still exist :), this summer I purchased mk7 1.6 TDI with 150 k (km) on it, it was so quiet no gearbox whine and everythig working perfect until 180 K ( I made 30k during summer ) there is a whining noise in 3 rd gear, than in 4th the most starting from 70 kmph and above, and in 5th gear from 100 to 110 kmph and then disaapears, all this happens when accelerate while in 4th gear it happens while accelerating also while decelerating this was my story.

Now let’s continue with mechanic I went to a gearbox expert and he stated that gearbox is the issue and replaced some bearing and then… again same noise, I went to another mechanic he swapped gearbox and fitted a used one 50 k (km) on it and woww again whining noise is there believe me or not during that day he replaced three used gearboxes with the same result than he was confused he give up telling me that definitly gearbox is not the issue, when I asked him where than is the issue he answers “I don’ know” so I’m very dissapointed because during the whole time while driving I’m focused on that whine even if I increase music volume on radio I think I still hear it, I don’t know if anyone of you had this issue solved but I give up and trying to live with it, despite tha fact that during my driving career I had a plenty of manual cars but none of them never ever had any gearbox whine !

Last edited: