GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whining Noise from Engine Bay

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
My MT does this too it's just the fluid getting old and the increased friction creating a whine in cold weather or when it's hot. Totally normal. Replace trans fluid and it will diminish. I need to again as well

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
That’s weird, I just did my DSG fluid 5k ago. That makes sense though

GolfRHW

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R MT
No, they haven't fixed anything. Mine does it in all gears and all rpms. Sounds a little like a jet engine. It is not the turbo in my case, as I can hear the turbo spool separate from the louder whining. Replacing the water pump did not fix it, it has to be IN the engine.

The mechanic keeps stressing how hard this could be to figure out, like it is my problem to figure out. :mad:

Hi there new to the forum and have stumbled across this thread doing my research into a problem that’s driving me nuts on my newly acquired ‘15 Golf R manual. This thread seems to be the only one I can find that talks about the problem in having so apologies for bumping. The quote above perfectly describes my situation sounding like a supercharger/jet engine noise which rises with the rpms whether I am stationary or moving. I have replaced the transmission fluid and the tensioner/pulley to no avail.
was a solution ever found?
Thanks in advance.

GolfRHW

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R MT
turbo is always spinning when engine is on
Is there a way to isolate the turbo so I can run the engine without it connected to double check? Maybe it’s just normal turbo noise and I’m just hyper sensitive to this frequency.
Thanks all

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Is there a way to isolate the turbo so I can run the engine without it connected to double check? Maybe it’s just normal turbo noise and I’m just hyper sensitive to this frequency.
Thanks all

I could be wrong but I don't think you can do that. How many miles on your car? Other people in here have said it was their waterpump.. have you tried replacing that? Engine compression check? Other than those things, if you car is making the sound like the video that Diggs posted on page one than it's your turbo and you should replace it ASAP under your terms.

GolfRHW

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R MT
Thanks guys. It's actually nothing like the video that was posted. I would say this is a gear/whine noise (definitely not a whistle) which builds slightly with revolutions and is present from say 1k through to 3/4k. Il try and take a video tomorrow when I get my phone back. Perhaps it's just normal engine noise. The sound is pretty much exactly the noise you hear in this video:

Thanks in advance

GolfRHW

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R MT
I've found another video which actually maybe shows it better and makes me think its normal engine noise. From 1:04 or somewhere along there the person revs the engine and you hear this whine noise which sounds exactly like mine (ignore the exhaust sound if you can). The car in the video only has 900 miles on so perhaps this is in fact normal noise?

ShadowCatEXE

Car(s)
2021 CFB 6MT GTI
I've found another video which actually maybe shows it better and makes me think its normal engine noise. From 1:04 or somewhere along there the person revs the engine and you hear this whine noise which sounds exactly like mine (ignore the exhaust sound if you can). The car in the video only has 900 miles on so perhaps this is in fact normal noise?
I came across another post which has a video: https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/dsg-gearbox-bearing-fault.371870/post-7398981
You can hear the sound better when the engine is slowing down. It's a high pitch whine, totally separate form the turbo.

I have a '15 GTI and have this exact sound. Had the turbo replaced under warranty (dealers idea, and I wasn't going to complain) but sound is still present. Had the tech also say it was the waste-gate actuator.. Which I very much highly doubt. I have yet to figure out what the sound is from.

Even if it is normal, it still ticks me off that I don't know what it is.

ShadowCatEXE

Car(s)
2021 CFB 6MT GTI
Sounds like you have DSG issue like the video.
Hmm... I haven't noticed any power loss or slipping of any kind and a fluid change didn't make a difference. Still makes the sound while revving in park.

To be fair, it has gotten slightly louder over the course of the last few months.. So it's quite possible it's DSG related.

Maybe I'll have to have a non VW tech have a look. Now comes the search for a reputable tech near me :unsure:

GolfRHW

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R MT
I came across another post which has a video: https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/dsg-gearbox-bearing-fault.371870/post-7398981
You can hear the sound better when the engine is slowing down. It's a high pitch whine, totally separate form the turbo.

I have a '15 GTI and have this exact sound. Had the turbo replaced under warranty (dealers idea, and I wasn't going to complain) but sound is still present. Had the tech also say it was the waste-gate actuator.. Which I very much highly doubt. I have yet to figure out what the sound is from.

Even if it is normal, it still ticks me off that I don't know what it is.
Same exact noise as mine! I’m almost positive it’s not anything turbo related despite the bearing chat. Your’s having been replaced relaxes me on this matter. Will investigate the waste actuator. Haven’t come across this yet so happy to review.
likewise, car runs excellently it’s just annoying me.Sounds like an RC car!