GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where the parents at? Leather durability and baby seat question.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
I'm on the verge of getting back into a 2020 GTI SE. I had a 2016 GTI with cloth seats back in the day. I love and prefer the plaid cloth seats, but since VW in their infinite wisdom of packages bundled leather seats in the SE that what I'll be stuck with. But I guess that's probably a good thing with a toddle anyways.

However I've seen the leather on VW's wear pretty poorly and was wondering for those using car seats how have the rear seats help up? Do you use seat protectors or not? Curious how wrinkled the back seats got or if any permanent damage was done.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I've had car seats on leather in Subaru, and I used to put cloth protector under the seat but even with that there was a light seat imprint left after few yrs of use...maybe VW leather seats are better, who knows.
Leatherette seats in my wife's GSW will take anything we throw at it, I actually like them better than leather.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
It's definitely worth mentioning that the base-model, pleatherette seats from Golfs/Alltracks are way more durable than the low-quality "leather" used on the upgraded seats in the SE/Autobahn GTI. Just food for thought if you wanted to do something CRAZY like retrofit Marrakesh brown pleather seats from an Alltrack or something like that :)

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I have black bath towels under both booster seat. No issues with the leather on this car, or my old G37S. I'm pretty strict on water only though, and don't let the kids eat in the car.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
I've had car seats on leather in Subaru, and I used to put cloth protector under the seat but even with that there was a light seat imprint left after few yrs of use...maybe VW leather seats are better, who knows.
Leatherette seats in my wife's GSW will take anything we throw at it, I actually like them better than leather.
'
Yea we have leathrette in our CX5 and its pretty durable.

It's definitely worth mentioning that the base-model, pleatherette seats from Golfs/Alltracks are way more durable than the low-quality "leather" used on the upgraded seats in the SE/Autobahn GTI. Just food for thought if you wanted to do something CRAZY like retrofit Marrakesh brown pleather seats from an Alltrack or something like that :)

no brown for me lol

I have black bath towels under both booster seat. No issues with the leather on this car, or my old G37S. I'm pretty strict on water only though, and don't let the kids eat in the car.

x2 water only and no food. I'm just worried about the permanent imprints it can leave. I'll give the towel a shot. My issue is our son is 2 and still rear facing ive seen it make imprints on the bottom of the seat and the back as well where the seat digs in.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I dont see any marks but frankly its only been two months and we dont really go places often due to covid... Chico keyfit 30

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
$72.. holy shit.

When a single mid-grade, long spanning life-cycle car seat pushes $400 (MID GRADE I TELL YOU) $72 for a pair of seat protectors seems like a drop in the bucket.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
When a single mid-grade, long spanning life-cycle car seat pushes $400 (MID GRADE I TELL YOU) $72 for a pair of seat protectors seems like a drop in the bucket.
yup. baby shit aint cheap