GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where the parents at? Leather durability and baby seat question.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I didn't catch the leather portion of your question. I've got 50k miles on my 2016 R, here are a few seat shots from a week ago. I'm 100% in jeans and feel like their "leather" holds up better than most manufacturers. It would be easy to convince someone that my seats have less than 1k on them. The only thing that would betray that is the old man wallet indentation (small but there) on my driver's seat.

rear-passenger.jpg

front-passenger.jpg

drivers-door.jpg

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Just put an old towel under the seat and get on with your life.

Yes, I too placed (a clean) towel under the infant/child/booster seats when my kids were little long time ago. Without the towel it can leave behind a near permanent crease from the base of the child seat so something to think about if the car is going to be kept for a long time.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
x2 water only and no food. I'm just worried about the permanent imprints it can leave. I'll give the towel a shot. My issue is our son is 2 and still rear facing ive seen it make imprints on the bottom of the seat and the back as well where the seat digs in.

I went from rear facing to front facing in my last car, the leather pops back pretty quick after a couple days.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Yes, I too placed (a clean) towel under the infant/child/booster seats when my kids were little long time ago. Without the towel it can leave behind a near permanent crease from the base of the child seat so something to think about if the car is going to be kept for a long time.

Ditto here. They are also a PITA to clean and end up getting nasty pretty quickly if you don't cycle them out. Towel would be Disneyland Dad long-term. If the seat is installed correctly, you need something resistant to creasing to mitigate lasting indentations.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Thanks everyone for the feedback, tips and pictures.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've had leather and cloth in two different SE. Both hold up fine to the Diono kid seat, barely show any marks and pop back to normal form within a few hours of removing the seat. Dog hair, on the other hand, is much more attracted to cloth.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Bmw with real leather, used an old towel under car seat base all year long. No issues or marks since I last checked a couple months ago!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No joke, my son's car seat was in the back seat of my Corrado until he was 5. Good thing my wife is short.

The leather was fine with the seat, but I wasn't smart enough to protect the seat from all the food and drink kids get on everything.

So as long as you protect the surface for messes, you'll be ok.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I layered on a bunch of lexol and we use the doona seat with no base. One year in and zero marks. The doona is easier without the base in the gti, but in the Q7 the opposite is true. In the Q7 we put down a thicker microfiber cloth around areas where the base makes contact with the leather, but that car has perforations and they're a nightmare to clean!!

I actually much prefer the leather in the gti to the leather in the new gen q5 and Q7 that I've had as courtesy vehicles. The a6 leather was actually far more comparable to the gti in terms of comfort and feel. For an "economy car leather" it's really way better than a lot of the competition out there.

I can't recommend lexol enough for a leather cleaner and protector. I've used griots and several others before, but lexol really works. I got a tip from a detailer to rub it in well and let it sit for 24 hrs, then do two more coats and wait another 24 hrs. Seems to work! I've seen it turn greyed out black leather back to black.

gman9966

Ditto with the towel thing. That's what I use and my kids are almost big enough not to need the toddler seats. Even with the towel you get a slight impression but that's the best thing is old towels or beach towels.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Ditto with the towel thing. That's what I use and my kids are almost big enough not to need the toddler seats. Even with the towel you get a slight impression but that's the best thing is old towels or beach towels.

I splurged on new towels at BBB because I wanted them to match the interior color (y)