GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

staying_tuned's MK7 R build

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
The car has been an absolute blast to work on and enjoy. I'm going to stay on 93 at least until Spring, perhaps longer. I'm getting up there in age and don't see myself working with blends and/or chasing down diminishing E pumps. Aside from an initial power goal of around 430 to the ground, I wanted to improve handling while not diminishing ride quality for road trips with the fam (Drove it down from PA to VA for the VIR trip w/ the Inno on top. Worked great) so I stuck with OEM springs while opting for B6 struts & shocks along with EuroSports fixed camber plates which utilize the OEM bushings. I also added SuperPro's RSB at the mildest setting. Turn in and overall roll have been improved greatly since the last track event. I just got back from R/T Tuning and their Mustang Dyno. She put down 417hp/390tq. and feels great. Recent 2nd through 5th log and dyno below. I'm extremely grateful for all of the existing and new information that so many of you helped me out with.

Go:
- DBV2 V1 JB Hybrid > Ceramic coated and ported
- AMS Catted DP > Ceramic coated
- AMS CF Intake
- TurboSmart Kompact DV 2020 pre-release update
- PagParts LPFP w/ 525 (450 was hard to get at the time, Arnold had the 525 on hand)
- Precision Raceworks MPI w 925cc Injectors
- Denso IKH24 plugs w/ APR Coils (OEM coil chit the bed, replaced them all)
- Mishimoto Intercooler
- Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks on OEM Springs
- EuroSport Static Camber Plates
- PowerFlex Diesel Dogbone Insert
- Fuel > Pump 93
- Oil > Motul Sport 5w-40

Tuning:
- TCU and ECU via Nick @ EQT

Show & Protection:
- P3 MultiGauge w/ Analog Boost Sensor via APR manifold tap
- Powder coated OEM exhaust tips
- Street: TSW Bathurst in Gunmetal wrapped in 245/40/18 Falken Ziex ZE960 All Seasons
- Track: Konig Dekagram in Black wrapped in 235/40/18 General G-MAX RS
- Paint corrected & 2 coats of CQuartz UK 3.0
- Krown Body panel and undercarriage treatment

Utility:
- Inno Wedge 665 in Gloss Black w/ 2 coats of CQuartz UK 3.0
- OEM (Thule) Removable Racks

Log & Dyno:
2nd through 5th gear log on current tune: https://datazap.me/u/stayingtuned/2nd-3rd-4th-5th-gear-pull-eqt-v104?log=0&data=8-14
4th Gear Current vs Straight IS38 OTS EQT Stage 2 tune in 3rd (also attached below):
Heading to VIR from PA. Took skyline drive both ways for a total of 1,200 roundtrip miles with 2 full days of VIR track time between. Car performed flawlessly.

VIR_Bound.jpg

AMS Intake in

AMS_Intake.jpg

Getting fueling squared away. PR MPI & PP LPFP w/ Lines

pp_lpfp.jpg

PR_MPI.jpg

AMS Catted DP back from coating

AMS_DP_Coated.jpg

DBV2 Arrived ported and coated, installed w/ a Thermal Zero Lava Rock Blanket

DBV2_Coated.jpg

DBV2_V1_AMS_DP.jpg

Cover off engine bay shot

coils_plugs.png

Dyno w/ Current Setup on 93. The baseline here is from when I was running an OTS EQT Stage 2 tune on the stock IS38.

dyno_latest.jpg

Last edited:

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Tested compression now that the tune and hard parts have settled in for just over 2k miles. These numbers are corrected at 1,500’ altitude.

Cyl. 1 - 176
Cyl. 2 - 179
Cyl. 3 - 181
Cyl. 4 - 176

E sensor, tie in line ends, P3 analyzer in. Going to go E30 or E50 here soon. Still on the fence but wanted to at least button up the hardware needs for it.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Looking good. Have any pics of the car in track trim with the Konig wheels? Skyline drive is in my backyard. Great drive! Just have to watch out for those VA cops though 👀

I ended up running the falken ziex hp all-seasons (on the bathursts) due to the recent drop in temps. They are calling for snow on Friday up here and I didn't want to struggle in the event of an early snow storm with the family on board. Skyline was beautiful. Here she is roof rack bars and all ftmfw hahaha.

hashbrown_vir.png

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
with the Konig wheels?

Here she is with the Konigs. Love them. Lighter than the bathursts too. Rear gap looks excessive here but there is a subtle dip in the driveway in that area from the gutter washing it out over the years.

hashbrown_konigs.jpg

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
This car is nutty!!!! clean build, huge fan of AMS parts, running their Water to Air intercooler on my Audi S4!

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
My parents live on Lake Wallenpaupack and I'm up there all the time can't believe I've never seen this thing around! Have fun with the snow. When they call for a foot or more my parents expect 2-3 feet lol.

Nice, we are in the Albrightsville area just north of Jim Thorpe about an hour south of Lake Wallenpaupack. Beautiful area! I just got my snows mounted on the dekagrams but I'm going to try to keep the car in hibernation during the winter. I put a deposit on something and while I'm still on the fence, I don't want to expose it unnecessarily in case we decide it has to go.

The car spent most of its life in Texas, less than a year up here so the undercarriage still looks damn near new. This was taken a few weeks ago post Krown treatment.

undercarriage.jpg

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R