GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's the final word on the Dogbone mount

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
If anything it's the stock bushings themselves that should be replaced. They get tore up something fierce, especially with road crap that gets in between the bushing and the insert, slowly chewing it up.
After switching to the alum subframe, the top bushing on my orig steel subframe just fell out. 90plus k miles, only used an insert for about 5k miles. My theory is too many braked launches at autocross.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
After switching to the alum subframe, the top bushing on my orig steel subframe just fell out. 90plus k miles, only used an insert for about 5k miles. My theory is too many braked launches at autocross.
I've got the new VWR dogbone setup (metal/poly upper and lower bushings + billet aluminum replacement for the rear part of the arm) but unfortunately the trans section from my '19 doesn't fit. Waiting on VWR to get back to me, but seems like an oversight on their part if 2015+ A3/S3 are all covered (not just Mk8/8Y cars). I know the stock upper bushing from my junkyard subframe isn't long for this world.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
I've got the new VWR dogbone setup (metal/poly upper and lower bushings + billet aluminum replacement for the rear part of the arm) but unfortunately the trans section from my '19 doesn't fit. Waiting on VWR to get back to me, but seems like an oversight on their part if 2015+ A3/S3 are all covered (not just Mk8/8Y cars). I know the stock upper bushing from my junkyard subframe isn't long for this world.
Slightly off topic, the VWR and Vibra-technics bushing look very similar, though Vibra-Technics has their piece only for the Mk5. Have you done any research to see if the front subframe mount bushing is basically the same since the Mk5?

AlexRok

Ready to race!
How are you liking the VWR so far? I have full BFI stage 1 engine/trans/puck insert. Considering it but am sensitive to extreme nvh increases and cant see much info on it.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
How are you liking the VWR so far? I have full BFI stage 1 engine/trans/puck insert. Considering it but am sensitive to extreme nvh increases and cant see much info on it.
I got rid of it, it didn't fit my DQ381 arm. People were also having issues with the bushing cracking and the insert corroding. VWR stopped responding to me when I suggested they needed to test fit the arm with another part.

Using the Unitronic mount now, not NVH-free but better than powerflex puck + spherical arm. It is the race version, tho.

AlexRok

Ready to race!
I got rid of it, it didn't fit my DQ381 arm. People were also having issues with the bushing cracking and the insert corroding. VWR stopped responding to me when I suggested they needed to test fit the arm with another part.

Using the Unitronic mount now, not NVH-free but better than powerflex puck + spherical arm. It is the race version, tho.
That’s good Intel.
I am looking at dropping my subframe before April for the summer- and I have control arms and a swaybar waiting, so was thinking of doing the dog bone when in there. The unitronic has tempted me but the price is steep to where I hesitate.. the racingline seems attractive on paper but still isn’t cheap enough to be an impulse buy.. I am MT so don’t expect fitment issues but that’s disappointing that racingline leaves people SOL.

Hopefully the unitronic goes on sale.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
I stand by posts 33-35, even if everyone else ignored them to continue the PowerFlex/Roc Euro debate. 👀

330whp and 380wtq on 93-octane: engine slop is a non-issue on my car with nothing but the insert. (DSG)

Also curious why no one is trying these any more: https://www.hpamotorsports.com/products/mqb-dogbone-mount

Back in 2017-2019, these were the go-to choice for folks with the budget who wanted maximum control of engine movement, with minimal NVH disturbances in the cabin.

1678316273975.png

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I stand by posts 33-35, even if everyone else ignored them to continue the PowerFlex/Roc Euro debate. 👀

330whp and 380wtq on 93-octane: engine slop is a non-issue on my car with nothing but the insert. (DSG)

Also curious why no one is trying these any more: https://www.hpamotorsports.com/products/mqb-dogbone-mount

Back in 2017-2019, these were the go-to choice for folks with the budget who wanted maximum control of engine movement, with minimal NVH disturbances in the cabin.

View attachment 275194
I think the forum consensus is that the metal inserts atleast with only the lower either bends and does nothing or ends up eating the stock bushing, HPA puck had a bunch of failures IIRC and people stopped using them.

I seem to be one of the few with no real NVH complains using the Hybrid bush and performance have been solid, but I really need to fit my new polymer resin filled engine and trans mounts to see if they are any good.

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I used locite because roc euro says to. They provide the bolts.
I have a powerflex hybrid puck + BFI stage 1 mounts.
do they have instructions somewhere that I'm not seeing?

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Just put the 034 Pendulum Arm w/ upper & lower inserts on my car yesterday and I will now be recommending this to everyone I know. I used to have a BFI stage 1 insert in the car. Initial NVH was super noticeable but went down to just a little extra vibration, not too bad at all, after a few hundred miles. Then some time over the last winter everything started to feel bad again and only got worse as time went. I had to drop my subframe for another reason which meant the dogbone was gonna have to come out anyways so I figured why not just get a whole new arm and inserts and give that a try so I ordered the full 034 kit aside from the puck. Well, as it turns out, the two little skinny pieces on the BFI insert had completely ripped so that was definitely part of my problem. Install on the 034 was about as easy as it gets, only took about 20 minutes. Torque everything to spec, lower the car, and start it. WOW. Immediately I don't have the NVH I felt with the BFI insert. It feel's 95% like it did stock but now when the car shifts, I have DSG, everything is super tight and crisp. In all fairness to the BFI insert it felt just as crisp when it was working correctly but the NVH increase was far more noticeable than on the 034 setup. Maybe some of that has to do with the arm replacement, I can't speak to that, but all 3 together from 034 is a winning combo in my book. Very little NVH while also eliminating all of that horrible fore/aft engine movement. Power gets to the ground without any issues now.

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Just put the 034 Pendulum Arm w/ upper & lower inserts on my car yesterday and I will now be recommending this to everyone I know. I used to have a BFI stage 1 insert in the car. Initial NVH was super noticeable but went down to just a little extra vibration, not too bad at all, after a few hundred miles. Then some time over the last winter everything started to feel bad again and only got worse as time went. I had to drop my subframe for another reason which meant the dogbone was gonna have to come out anyways so I figured why not just get a whole new arm and inserts and give that a try so I ordered the full 034 kit aside from the puck. Well, as it turns out, the two little skinny pieces on the BFI insert had completely ripped so that was definitely part of my problem. Install on the 034 was about as easy as it gets, only took about 20 minutes. Torque everything to spec, lower the car, and start it. WOW. Immediately I don't have the NVH I felt with the BFI insert. It feel's 95% like it did stock but now when the car shifts, I have DSG, everything is super tight and crisp. In all fairness to the BFI insert it felt just as crisp when it was working correctly but the NVH increase was far more noticeable than on the 034 setup. Maybe some of that has to do with the arm replacement, I can't speak to that, but all 3 together from 034 is a winning combo in my book. Very little NVH while also eliminating all of that horrible fore/aft engine movement. Power gets to the ground without any issues now.
My BFI insert did the same thing. A common problem with the 034 mounts is that they bend after a while, although maybe that won't be a problem for you since you also have their arm

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
My BFI insert did the same thing. A common problem with the 034 mounts is that they bend after a while, although maybe that won't be a problem for you since you also have their arm
It seems like the main issue with the 034 ones bending was as a result of only having the lower insert. Having the upper seems to have, at the very least, greatly reduced the likelihood of that happening. I should be good to go long term with this set up by the looks of it. Even if it ends up bending down the line the lower insert can be purchased on it's own for cheap enough and I am sure will be a lot easier to replace than a failed poly insert where we had to pry the broken chunks out.

Last edited: