GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
that makes me really rethink my desire to move up from 235/40 to 245s...
I think the 42 offset is more of the issue there. I had similar thoughts when investigating 245/35/18 and 18x9 et45, I didn't have the wheels on hand but it looked like I might need a spacer to clear the filler neck comfortably, unsure how much space I'd need on the outside rear to avoid rubbing on the quarter. I settled on 235/40 and 18x8 et45, and likely a small spacer in the rear to get the look I'm after.

Meanwhile, imagine some of the 🤡 out there fighting to fit 18x10+ and a 225 ;)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I think the 42 offset is more of the issue there. I had similar thoughts when investigating 245/35/18 and 18x9 et45, I didn't have the wheels on hand but it looked like I might need a spacer to clear the filler neck comfortably, unsure how much space I'd need on the outside rear to avoid rubbing on the quarter. I settled on 235/40 and 18x8 et45, and likely a small spacer in the rear to get the look I'm after.

Meanwhile, imagine some of the 🤡 out there fighting to fit 18x10+ and a 225 ;)
yeah and I tried to fit a spacer in my rear and it pushed the rears out just enough that I would rub on compression unless I went 245/35 and don't know if I really want to go to a 35 just to move up to a 245. How some fit a 255 I'll never know

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
yeah and I tried to fit a spacer in my rear and it pushed the rears out just enough that I would rub on compression unless I went 245/35 and don't know if I really want to go to a 35 just to move up to a 245. How some fit a 255 I'll never know
I'd love to know how some guys are managing 255 as well. But ultimately, at least in my case, I'm finding that 10mm section width isn't what's holding me back at the moment; I'm the problem. Cleaning up my lines, improving my input smoothness, later braking, and just less hamfisted shit driving overall is my ticket to faster.

Though I'm absolutely getting some 10mm spacers for the rear because I want it to look snazzy.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Just an FYI 18x9 +42 w/ 245/40r18 tires with the camber setup shown below will rub. I asked the alignment shop to add the - camber and they said they were very experienced with this kind of fitment. Evidentially not MK7s. As you can see it was rubbing on the fuel tank filler neck shield on the passenger rear side as well as the fender liner. Setup was on for app. 250 miles. I don’t know if it will rub with stock camber but I’m not going to find out. Back to 18x8.5 w/ 235s for me.
Probably the added neg camber, I am running 18x8.5et42 with MPS4S 245/40/18 and I don't rub at all. Even while towing a 2k pound trailer. I recently added a 5mm spacer to bring the wheel out even with the front and I don't rub the fender at all at full compression. That addition of the spacer occupies the same space as a 9" I am moving up to 18x9et42 in the near future with 255/35/18, if that rubs I will add a 3mm spacer to move et to 45.
I think the 42 offset is more of the issue there. I had similar thoughts when investigating 245/35/18 and 18x9 et45,
42 has more inner clearance than 45, so that is not the issue. Either the added neg camber or the tires are really oversized.

For what is worth, I had a chance to borrow one of this off set tools and for the GTI a 9et48 would be the perfect fit in the front if you don't want to add camber, the rears will need a 5mm spacer.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Funny how two sentences can make you want to reevaluate your entire life.

Yeah Dr Dan has some cool toys!

image0.jpeg

The 928 lives along side a T34 (airplane) & 924S as well as several vintage Jaguars.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I had a small hiccup with my engine. Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd just dump a question in here since nothing seems to really be wrong at this point. I went to start the engine and the starter quit about 1/2-second after pushing the start button. I think it did it again on the second attempt. That's when I realized that my seat had been bumped back a stop and that I hadn't depressed the clutch all the way to the floor.

I pressed the clutch all the way down and pressed the starter button again. The car cranked for about seven seconds, then sputtered at about starter speed for a few seconds, and then ran normally. The event was reminiscent of how my TDI would start after replacing the fuel filter (not completely primed?). I wasn't sure if the car would start again after a stop or perhaps sputter-out while driving. Nothing has gone wrong over the past few days. So, I suspect it was a one-time event.

Theories? Might the mis-starts have flooded the cylinders? Does that happen on these engines? There's nothing to diagnose, as far as I can tell. I'm just curious to know your thoughts on what might have happened.

Thanks!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
.....and a Chrysler Crossfire? ;)

He didn’t mention it, so maybe it’s his wife’s?

I had a small hiccup with my engine. Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd just dump a question in here since nothing seems to really be wrong at this point. I went to start the engine and the starter quit about 1/2-second after pushing the start button. I think it did it again on the second attempt. That's when I realized that my seat had been bumped back a stop and that I hadn't depressed the clutch all the way to the floor.

I pressed the clutch all the way down and pressed the starter button again. The car cranked for about seven seconds, then sputtered at about starter speed for a few seconds, and then ran normally. The event was reminiscent of how my TDI would start after replacing the fuel filter (not completely primed?). I wasn't sure if the car would start again after a stop or perhaps sputter-out while driving. Nothing has gone wrong over the past few days. So, I suspect it was a one-time event.

Theories? Might the mis-starts have flooded the cylinders? Does that happen on these engines? There's nothing to diagnose, as far as I can tell. I'm just curious to know your thoughts on what might have happened.

Thanks!

Mine did the same thing today, and just like the other few times it’s done extended crank / slow to build RPM start it was;

-After I’d driven 20+ miles

-Fully up to temperature

-Then parked for 30+ minutes

Only with these conditions has it ever done that, but it doesn’t do it every time those conditions are met.

I suspect LPFP (purchased, but not installed) or injectors bleeding off fuel pressure prime.

No clue if I’m correct since it happens so infrequently that I haven’t even bothered to install my brand new OEM LPFP