swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
I had my windshield replaced (for retrofit purposes) but just went through the dealer. The glass isn't crazy expensive and the dealer arranged for the install. I was right around $500 installed (no sensor alignment though). They had a third party do it but at the dealership. I only paid the dealer so all issues/warranty, had there been any problems, would have been through the dealer. I've got a good sized chip in my windshield now so will be retrofitting the heated windshield at replacement time.

When I did the initial camera/sensor windshield I let USAA know and it would be covered if I replaced it with the same part number. This will be out of pocket again since the glass is (again) a non-original part number for my car. Then I'll update USAA again so it's covered in the future.
Incoming heated e-golf windshield?

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
like white silver, going to change color depending on the clouds and sun
That's one of the main reasons I picked it, in direct sun its bright, but in shadow it gets really dark. It should give the wheels a lot of contrast.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Can indeed confirm. The windshield is already paid for and at the dealer... just have not been able to schedule a time.

Ordered at a dealer that's about an hour away because their discount on the windshield took over $100 off the price. Same dealer where I had my first retrofit windshield ordered/installed. The folks in that parts department are used to me ordering "random" crap. That's where my discontinued (and thus highly discounted) trailer module came from, among other things.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Can indeed confirm. The windshield is already paid for and at the dealer... just have not been able to schedule a time.

Ordered at a dealer that's about an hour away because their discount on the windshield took over $100 off the price. Same dealer where I had my first retrofit windshield ordered/installed. The folks in that parts department are used to me ordering "random" crap. That's where my discontinued (and thus highly discounted) trailer module came from, among other things.
I'm really curious to see the end result. I wonder if that works in all modes of operation (heating up and driving)? It would be a sweet alternative to blasting the A/C to clear off a foggy windshield aside from the snow/ice clearing ability. With my windshield getting more pitted, depending upon your success, I might have to take that route. Now, how in the hell did that hammer fall on my windshield?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Oh, that was serious lol.

I didn't even know a heated windshield was a thing...

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Can I ask the obvious question of why someone in LA would even need a heated windshield?
Same reason I retrofitted heated seats and heated steering wheel I guess. I don't know the reason, but it's the same reason. :LOL:

those chilly 70 degree winter nights lol
Sometimes it gets into the 60s, downright frigid some would say. Nights like that I must wear my Costco fur robe just to go down and make coffee.
- The robe was an EXCLUSIVE member's only item a few years ago, IYKYK.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Same reason I retrofitted heated seats and heated steering wheel I guess. I don't know the reason, but it's the same reason. :LOL:

Sometimes it gets into the 60s, downright frigid some would say. Nights like that I must wear my Costco fur robe just to go down and make coffee.
- The robe was an EXCLUSIVE member's only item a few years ago, IYKYK.
The reason? Because

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Oh, trust me. I know you would never joke about a retrofit. I thought @Kushdaiin was joking because I was unaware a heated windshield was a thing on these cars...
Like everything it was an option outside of the US. On this side only the e-Golf had it. For an EV it's more efficient to heat the windshield internally than to inefficiently heat air then blow that onto the windshield for another inefficient heat transfer.

For basic defrosting use in my car I expect it will be equal/faster from a cold start, maybe a bit slower than if the car is already up to temp and I selected max defrost. Although my TDI already has the 1000W PTC auxiliary (hair dryer style) heater it cannot be activated manually. It would be very rare for me to meet the conditions for the automatic activation. And I'm not sure it's in the airway path for defrost or just for passenger vents anyway.

If you live in a place that gets frost the heated windshield would be seriously useful...