GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

cool_username

Passed Driver's Ed
I put gas in mine :D

Anyone notice a major difference between 87 and 91? It's probably one of those questions that gets asked all the time, but I searched and didn't find an answer. Car is totally stock, and will probably stay that way except for maybe an intake and some cosmetics.

My understanding (via car talk) is that it's best to use whatever you're tuned for. A 1.8t like mine, tuned for 87, wouldn't see any benefits from 93 (unless it were knocking for some reason). GTIs are tuned for 93, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6_speed_GTI

Car(s)
2016 GTI 6 MT, Black
GTIs are tuned for 93, no?

That's exactly what I'm trying to determine. Inside the fuel door says 87 and 91.

I'm not sure if there are different ways to calculate that or what, but for now I'm going to stick with the highest octane I can get at your average gas station.

I've heard the same thing about turbos - run premium gas (other people I know had an Audi 1.8L turbo that needed premium to run correctly as well). This is the 2.0L by the same manufacturer, so I imagine it's very much the same.

cool_username

Passed Driver's Ed
That's exactly what I'm trying to determine. Inside the fuel door says 87 and 91.

I'm not sure if there are different ways to calculate that or what, but for now I'm going to stick with the highest octane I can get at your average gas station.

I've heard the same thing about turbos - run premium gas (other people I know had an Audi 1.8L turbo that needed premium to run correctly as well). This is the 2.0L by the same manufacturer, so I imagine it's very much the same.

Huh, I see. Wasn't aware. I'd stick with the higher octane then for safety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donp

Ready to race!

If you're stock, VW says you can run 87 but it will reduce engine output and efficiency. If you're tuned you already know you need 91 or higher.

Blizzard884

Passed Driver's Ed
Fit the new wheels today...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

hi_centered

Visited it at the dealer, had to make sure they were fixing what needs to be fixed.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I put gas in mine :D

Anyone notice a major difference between 87 and 91? It's probably one of those questions that gets asked all the time, but I searched and didn't find an answer. Car is totally stock, and will probably stay that way except for maybe an intake and some cosmetics.

More carbon build up on 87 maybe.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Washed, waxed, detailed, and installed tow hook license plate mount (not in that order)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk