GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Exiwolfman

Passed Driver's Ed
Washed it finally ..bloody winter sucks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Who did you end up getting it rekeyed by. I need to get a felt lined locking one for my wagon!

I found a local locksmith who did it for $20. You can buy the wafer kits on ebay for about $45 shipped, which I almost did, before finding a locksmith who could do it cheaper. I called at least 10 places, very few can do VW, including VW dealers, apparently.

My locking latch came with the felt lined glovebox that I scored on eBay for cheap, I will wait for warmer weather before swapping those out. I just needed a quick winter Saturday project so I did just the lock.

H

Huntermike

Today I replaced the DOT4 fluid I replaced this fall with DOT4-LV. Much improved clutch feel in the bitter cold arctic blast. -24F this morning.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I found a local locksmith who did it for $20. You can buy the wafer kits on ebay for about $45 shipped, which I almost did, before finding a locksmith who could do it cheaper. I called at least 10 places, very few can do VW, including VW dealers, apparently.

My locking latch came with the felt lined glovebox that I scored on eBay for cheap, I will wait for warmer weather before swapping those out. I just needed a quick winter Saturday project so I did just the lock.
Do you know if there's a shortcut to pulling the glovebox lid out? According to the service manual, it's a pain in the ass.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
only problem is that thieves will destroy your glove box/lock and steal stuff inside, and now you have to pay for the replacement of glove box.

This is generally true. My wife likes being able to lock her phone in there sometimes during the day when she's going for a run, and that's only when the car is parked in daylight where there are lots of people around. All other times the glovebox is kept unlocked. The car also has the OEM alarm which will get triggered.

Do you know if there's a shortcut to pulling the glovebox lid out? According to the service manual, it's a pain in the ass.

Yeah, royal pain. I'm going to try to figure out how to pull the hinge pins without pulling the whole box.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Not a damn thing. Again. I did all my mods in a 75 day span and that was 3 months ago. I can't think of anything else to do that isn't at least sort of pointless and now there's cobwebs on my tools. I had been heading full steam towards stage 2 with clutch, but moditis has seemingly worn off. Help me internet.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
This is generally true. My wife likes being able to lock her phone in there sometimes during the day when she's going for a run, and that's only when the car is parked in daylight where there are lots of people around. All other times the glovebox is kept unlocked. The car also has the OEM alarm which will get triggered.

Yeah, royal pain. I'm going to try to figure out how to pull the hinge pins without pulling the whole box.

Yep. I would like to line the lid, which holds all the crap in the glovebox, with felt. I can of course do it without detaching the lid, but that would make the process very uncomfortable.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Not a damn thing. Again. I did all my mods in a 75 day span and that was 3 months ago. I can't think of anything else to do that isn't at least sort of pointless and now there's cobwebs on my tools. I had been heading full steam towards stage 2 with clutch, but moditis has seemingly worn off. Help me internet.

Does your wife drive a car? You can mod that until you feel like modding your car again. I keep thinking what I would like to add to my wife's Beetle.