GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

vcds coding security access code(s)

Nitsrik1976

Ready to race!
Tried to adjust 03 brakes /adaption/ hydraulic brake assist and can't find any access code that will work. Tried 40168 and 20103. Help please

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Are you using a cable and software purchased from Ross-Tech? The security codes are built into their software.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
No they are not.

The security access codes that the OP is talking about must be entered manually by the user and sent by VCDS to the relevant controller before certain adaptation channels can be changed.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I noticed on the latest versions of VCDS they are posted in little popup boxes so all you need to do is type them in. Perhaps not the ones he's looking for or he doesn't have the paid version.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I noticed on the latest versions of VCDS they are posted in little popup boxes so all you need to do is type them in. Perhaps not the ones he's looking for or he doesn't have the paid version.

The Fed: true , there is a pop-up ballon for the BCM on a mk 7, but I'm fairly sure that this is the only control module where this happens. For the other control modules (at least on our ROW models down here) it's a manual entry task- and then only if you happen to know the security code!

Problem is of course that by their very nature, security codes are not published by VW. So the only way that the general public gets to know them is by happenstance and word-of-mouth!

In the case of the ABS question posed in the opening post, I've had the same problem, without succes!

The code 20103 works on a number of modules (I've just published a tweak that lights-up the instrument cluster during daylight hours and this security code works on 17- Instruments module).

Not had much joy with 40168. The ABS module certainly accepts the code, but that's all that it does! Could try randomly entering numbers, but a 5 digit number has 100,000 different combinations and the module locks out for at least 10 minutes if the wrong one is entered!

Uwe Ross on the RT forum suggested contacting commercial companies that reprogram firmware for these control modules ( ECU tuning, auto-transmission businesses etc). Worth a try if you are really keen I reckon because there is no other way to get these codes - short of industrial espionage!

Last edited:

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
The code 20103 works on a number of modules (I've just published a tweak that lights-up the instrument cluster during daylight hours and this security code works on 17- Instruments module).

Hi DV52, what is this tweak you speak of ? Where are you publishing? I'd like to have my cluster on at all times, rather than needing the lights on.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Hi DV52, what is this tweak you speak of ? Where are you publishing? I'd like to have my cluster on at all times, rather than needing the lights on.

thedoc46: Hi . My tweak is just something that I've been working-on for the last month-or, so. After much experimentation I think that I now have a reasonable understanding of how "Leuchte programming" works on MQB platform vehicles. So I have turned my attention to instrument cluster lighting. My preliminary observations suggests that it's all done with a set of 80 channels with the words "dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment" in their description.

Long story short, based on my findings I managed to develop a new "dimming_curve" for the photo-transistor that lives inside the instrument cluster. The job of the photo transistor is to modulate the dash lights (including the discover media/pro screen) depending on cabin illumination (i.e. daylight/night-time levels). Using my new dimming curve values for what's called the "X" numbers, the instrument cluster in my car now illuminates during daylight hours without the rotary light switch being turned-on.

I can also illuminate the dash at night (without the light switch-on) by changing what's called the "Y" numbers. But after trying this and driving at twilight, I have chosen to keep the default "Y" numbers. What happened when I had the dash illuminated at twilight was that I lost the important signal telling me to turn my main car lights-on. So I elected to retain the safety message-but at the price of not illuminating the dash at night. But you may have a different view - nothing wrong with that!

Anyhow, my VCDS tweak goes something like this (see full explanation on VWW):

Instrument Cluster Illumination - during daylight (without rotary light switch turned-on)

VCDS tweak Instructions
  1. Have the engine running and start the Ross Tech software (I found this to be necessary to successfully change the adaptation channel settings on my 103TSI - my13 model. Else I kept getting "out-of-range" error messages)
  2. Select 17 - Instrument control module
  3. Select Security Access - 16 from the "Open Controller" screen
  4. Enter the magic number 20103 and return to the "Open Controller" screen
  5. Select Adaptation - 10 from the "Open Controller" screen
  6. From the pull-down button change the 5 x adaptation channels shown in the table below to the New Settings as indicated:

Notes:
  1. The setting for "X1" does not need to be changed - I have included it in the table for completeness
  2. When entering the new hexadecimal values, take care to use the exact structure shown in the table (i.e. enter all leading zeros and enter a space as shown - it is not necessary to use capital letters for the alpha characters).
  3. If "out-of-range" error messages appear, try starting the change sequence in the reverse order- that is, commence by changing X5 and then change the channels with reducing X numbers.
  4. EDIT: I've received feedback from a VWW forum member (thanks Mikey1) advising that he did not need to have the engine running (in step 1 above) to change the adaptation channel settings on his Golf R.
Postscript:
After implementing this tweak, you may observe that the infotainment screen is brighter. If this happens, the lighting intensity of the infotainment screen can be adjusted as follows:
  1. Press the MENU button (thanks Mikey1) on the bottom RHS of the discover media/pro escutcheon plate
  2. using the RH dial on the infotainment unit (or your finger), scroll to the SETUP icon - which looks like a gear-cog and it's on the extreme RHS of the option list
  3. press the panel that says Screen
  4. press the panel that says Brightness
  5. Select either Brightest, Brighter, Medium, Darker, Darkest option
  6. Exit all screens
See Pictorial instructions below

Lastly, I fully anticipate that the lighting effects that result from this tweak will not be to every one's liking. If this is the case, please revert ALL settings to their default value (as shown in the table), or use my paper and the related spreadsheet to create your own dimming curves.
Cheers
Don

Last edited:

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
DV52, you sir are a genius! For me i was planning on leaving my light switch to auto.. So i wouldn't need to worry that i may of forgotten to turn my lights on, and hopefully just have my cluster 'always' on.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
DV52, you sir are a genius! For me i was planning on leaving my light switch to auto.. So i wouldn't need to worry that i may of forgotten to turn my lights on, and hopefully just have my cluster 'always' on.

Thedoc46: thanks for the kind words. If you want to play with the dimming curve for the "dark-side", then I've included a set of values for the "Y" numbers in my paper. But yes, if you change the "Y" curve, you will need to keep the rotary switch on the auto-position to cater for the loss of reminder signal.

Better still, why not create your own dimming curves? It's not difficult - just a matter of experimenting. And using my macro spreadsheet as an aid, it's even easier!

For example, I'm tempted to alter the value of "X5". This setting is an anchoring point for the rest of the dimming curve. I reckon hex64 is a better value (than hex5F) because it is very good number - it translates nicely to decimal 100
Cheers
Don
PS: as a quid-pro-quo for the tweak, please share your findings if you do develop other good dimming curves

Last edited:

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Thedoc46: thanks for the kind words. If you want to play with the dimming curve for the "dark-side", then I've included a set of values for the "Y" numbers in my paper. But yes, if you change the "Y" curve, you will need to keep the rotary switch on the auto-position to cater for the loss of reminder signal.

Better still, why not create your own dimming curves? It's not difficult - just a matter of experimenting. And using my macro spreadsheet as an aid, it's even easier!

For example, I'm tempted to alter the value of "X5". This setting is an anchoring point for the rest of the dimming curve. I reckon hex64 is a better value (than hex5F) because it is very good number - it translates nicely to decimal 100
Cheers
Don
PS: as a quid-pro-quo for the tweak, please share your findings if you do develop other good dimming curves

Thanks DV52, a true asset to the community !

Yomny1

Ready to race!
Anyone able to get their hands on the sec. code to alter the brake assist? I find it pretty intrusive and would like to tweak it a bit for track usage. Thanks

Yomny1

Ready to race!
VCP has a login finder. If you know a code it does accept, you can brute force the module with other codes to find a better one.

Tell me more lol. Well I know the 20103 code works for some adaptations under the abs module. What's this brute force thing? VCP another software or a feature of vcds. Thanks.